The Wolf's Brewing Storm

The Not So Ugly Duckling

“Here is this weeks data from the clinical trial as well as a list of observed side effects,” Zelo handed Youngjae a folder, the other mindlessly nodding and taking the paperwork. Zelo’s eyebrows squished together with concern. “Hyung, are you okay?” Zelo’s voice was a murmur as if his words were taboo.

“What exactly happened between you and Daehyun after we left?” Himchan rolled his chair to Youngjae’s desk, resting his hand on the younger’s back and rubbing soothing circles. 

Youngjae’s face scrunched up. The now facade of ugliness thrown out the window now that Daehyun had saw him. His hair was now less messy and styled, his banga gently following on his forehead. His now upset doe eyes no longer hidden behind sheets of glass. His clothes all now fit him exceptionally, none of them the color of diarrhea. He should have been happy that the jig was up. He was supposed to feel relaxed and happy that the medical board allowed him to move the medicine to clinical trial. He should have been feeling all of that. But he wasn’t. Confused. Mad. Sad. Empty. The emotions in his heart stewing in a pot of frustration and self-hate. 

Daehyun and him had been avoiding each other like the plague and when the two of them did come into contact the atmosphere was awkward to say the least. No witty, stupid banter. No boisterous laughter and playful punches. Instead Daehyun returned to how he was before. He wasn’t as cold, but he was distant. Only flashing Youngjae a forced smile before giving a polite hello and then quickly strutting to his next meeting or his office. Youngjae simply accepting the distance because he didn’t know what else to do. Youngjae hated this. He wanted to stomp towards Daehyun and force the two of them to be friends again. But he knew he couldn’t. He couldn’t hurt Daehyun anymore than he already had. 

 He let out a small groan and buried his face in his hands, recalling when everything he thought he could protect fell apart.


”W-what…” Youngjae stared at the other man, unable to understand the words that had involuntarily spilled out of Daehyun’s mouth. Out of Daehyun’s heart. 

Daehyun’s eyes went wide at the realization of his words, but his expression immediately hardened. His hands balled up into tight fist as he turned away, not wanting to face the younger. His brows were knit tight and an obvious scowl was stuck on his plump lips. He hadn’t want this to happen. Not in this way.

“Um...I think we should go…” Himchan awkwardly glanced at the pair stuck in heated tension, before ushering the two younger pups away.

“Daehyun…” Youngjae wanted to ask him so many questions. Ask his him why. Was his words just something that just came out in the heat of the moment. Was he just venting frustration. He couldn’t formulate a single word. He wanted answers, but he was afraid. Youngjae thickly swallowed the fear and inhibitions the were stuck in his throat. “Daehyun, I-”

“Dr. Yoo,” Both boys jumped by the sudden intrusion of the thick atmosphere. One of the members of the medical board peeked behind the curtain, his tuft of gray hair appearing. “The medical board would like to discuss with you about your research and findings. Would now be a good time?”

“Um,” Youngjae glanced over and eyed Daehyun. He chewed his bottom lip, feeling torn as to which decision he should make. Obviously the medical board had something important to say. But the hurt in Daehyun’s eyes...Youngjae couldn’t just simply leave him. “Actually now is a bi-”

“It’s fine. Mr. Yoo go ahead and speak with them,” Daehyun relaxed his fist and ran his fingers through his dark locks. Youngjae feeling a chill of the words ‘Mr. Yoo’ directed at him. It made him feel as if him and Daehyun were oceans apart. “I need some time to sort things out. We can talk another time.”

Before Youngjae could retort or say a single word, Daehyun had walked away. Youngjae put his lips in a tight line before turning towards the medical board member and flashing him a sullen smile. He followed after the member, opening the curtain, but not before glancing back at Daehyun’s figure walking away from him. 
 


Youngjae scanned the conference room, wondering where Daehyun had wandered off to. The meeting had gone incredibly well, everything Youngjae had wanted. The board was excited for Youngjae’s work, finding his results clear and reproducible enough to warrant pushing the medication forward to human trial. They were expecting a lot of great things from Youngjae. But n that one moment Youngjae could give less than a damn. His mind was possessed. Consumed by thoughts of Daehyun. He just wanted to see the man, talk to him. Sort out whatever had happened between them backstage. 

The crowd was beginning to dissipate as people began heading home and with Daehyun nowhere to be found Youngjae thought it would be better to check outside. Youngjae entered the hallway, glancing down both ends, hoping to see Daehyun lingering somewhere. Nothing. Youngjae brought his hand to his lips, gnawing on his nails. A habit he had during times of extreme emotional distress. Daehyun wouldn’t have simply left, right? Youngjae had began to lose hope (and almost chew off his entire nail) when he noticed a small plaza outside the building. A familiar figure pacing back and forth with a phone glued to his ear before slumping down on a stone bench. Youngjae quietly opened the door, not wanting to disturb Daehyun as he gritted his teeth.

 “Yes, once again I deeply apologize for the delay…This won’t happen again… I will be in Birmingham by tomorrow evening...I promise you won’t regret your decision. Thank you.” He ended the call, placing the annoying device in his pocket. God, Daehyun wished he had a drink right now. Or several. Probably several. He rubbed his temples feeling a migraine rising. Oh how nice would it be to have a good f**k right now.

“Is everything okay?” Youngjae’s voice was so soft and light it took a minute for Daehyun to even register. Daehyun looked up to see Youngjae awkwardly shift in place. The usual boisterous, sassy chipmunk now quiet and small.  

Daehyun sighed, scooting over for the younger to sit beside him. Youngjae glanced at the seat for a moment, uncertain if he should take it, before hesitantly seating himself. “So far I’ve finished with damage control…”

“That’s good…” Youngjae flashed a small smile. The awkward settling silence fell between the two. Youngjae hated it. The two of them were never silent. Himchan even threatened to duct tape their mouths one time when they were teasing him about Yongguk. But now the only thing left between them was awkward silence. “Daehyun, about before...backstage…”

“I don’t take it back,” Youngjae flinched when he looked towards Daehyun to see piercing brown eyes facing him. No hesitation. “I meant what I said Youngjae, I love you.”

Youngjae felt like a lump formed in his throat. He wanted to believe to Daehyun. The small romanticist part of him wanted to believe in this possibility. But his fear and rationale won over the later. “You don’t love me Daehyun. You just like how I look. I’m not an ugly duckling anymore.” 

Youngjae jumped slightly seeing has quickly Daehyun’s expression hardened. An obvious frown on his face. “It has nothing to do with your looks.”

Again, Youngjae wanted to believe. “Yes it does Daehyun. The only time you were attracted to me was when you were drunk and . You even said yourself that you wouldn’t jump me even if you could.”

Daehyun closed his eyes tight, his eyebrows growing close together. He was frustrated. Yes those were his words. Words he couldn’t take back. But he did love the chipmunk and it had nothing to do with his current style change. It had to with Youngjae. “Okay forget about me. Answer me this Youngjae. Do you love me?” Daehyun opened his eyes and stared at Youngjae. The same look that made Youngjae unnerved. 

“I…” Youngjae took a deep breath. “I can’t reciprocate your feelings because I don’t love you,” Youngjae was lying through his teeth. “I like you, but only as a friend,” Youngjae gripped his hands tightly, to stop the oncoming trembling he felt. “I’m sorry…”

Daehyun let out a small sad laugh before gently ruffling Youngjae’s hair. “You don’t need to be sorry.”

“But things won’t change between us right?” Youngjae looked up, eyes pleading the other. He didn’t want to lose Daehyun. He loved Daehyun, he wanted to be with Daehyun. But he couldn’t. He was too scared. Scared of finding out that what they had was false. That Daehyun would be tired of him once he had his fun. Youngjae couldn’t go through that pain again. Especially with someone he had grown to care so much about. 

Daehyun flashed the other a sad smile, putting his hands together in his lap. “I’m sorry, chipmunk,” Youngjae usually felt his heart flutter at Daehyun’s nickname for him. But now the word simply sounded sad. Empty and far off. “But I don’t think we can. I’ll always support you and be there when you need me…” Daehyun took a deep breath. He didn’t want to break his friendship with Youngjae. But he loved Youngjae. He loved the boy so much he couldn’t even think straight. To be so close to the boy and have a deep friendship with him, it hurt Daehyun too much. And he was afraid that he would hurt Youngjae. “We should simply limit our friendship to work friends,” Daehyun got up from his seat, looking down and squeezing the boy’s shoulder. Youngjae looked so helpless, so broken from Daehyun’s words. He looked as if he was about to cry and that hurt Daehyun so much. He almost wanted to immediately take back his words. “I’ll see you at work.” Daehyun turned around and quickly walked away, knowing that if he talked to Youngjae. Saw Youngjae. He would concede and fall right back again.


“Youngjae…” Himchan quickly pulled the younger into a hug, Zelo following suit. 

“Guys, I’m fine…” Youngjae forced a chuckle to leave his lips. “It was selfish of me to think that Daehyun and I could just go back to the way we were before,” Youngjae leaned his head on Himchan’s shoulder. “It was stupid…”

“No it wasn’t hyung. You really care about CEO Jung. You just didn’t want to lose him,” Zelo gave him a reassuring smile, before brushing his bangs out of his face. “If I was in your shoes I would have asked the same thing.”

Youngjae slightly chuckled at the younger’s comfort, knowing full well that if Jongup had confessed, Zelo would have accepted immediately. “No you wouldn’t. You’d immediately say yes and the two of you would have lived happily ever after.”

“Then why didn’t you?” Himchan smiled, gently petting the younger’s hair. “I know you might hit me for saying this, but you care about Daehyun, Youngjae. You care a lot. And I don’t want to label what you’re feeling. It’s not my place. But I think you feel the same as Daehyun feels about you.” 

Youngjae chewed on his lower lip. So much so he felt that his lip was about to bleed. “I’m scared Himchan. God, I feel so pathetic. Me, scared,” Youngjae let out a sad sarcastic laugh. “I’m scared that I’m simply a pastime for Daehyun. Especially now since I don’t look like trash. I can’t let myself go through all of that again…” Youngjae scrunched his face, remembering his ex. The toxic relationship he was in. How naive he was at that age. He had to learn the hard way about how broken and empty ‘love’ can be. 

He could almost taste and feel all the words he had to endure. The harsh criticisms hidden under sweet words. Being used like a rag and quickly tossed aside when inconvenient. At the time, Youngjae thought he was in love. That his ex was the man of his dreams. That the two would grow old together, adopt a few kids, and be a family. How wrong he was. He got none of that. He got no kids, he got no family, he didn’t even get love. Instead he had emotional scars and deeply embedded fears. He thought he was going to live life that way forever. Always a side f**k. If it weren’t for Himchan, for his support, Youngjae would still be in that toxic relationship. Never building himself up to be the person he was today. 

“I know, hunny. I know…” Himchan pulled the younger closer to his chest, knowing full well the trauma the younger had gone through. Zelo looked up at Himchan slightly confused. Himchan mouthed the words ‘long story’ before his returning his attention back on the moping Youngjae. 


Daehyun sighed, his form slumped over his dining table as he tapped the nose of his chipmunk plush. He had decided to give himself the day off from work spending weeks doing damage control. He had managed to not only book the deal in Birmingham, but also snatch a few side deals that weren’t on the agenda. He established a partnership with the design brand Le Noir for the Jung fashion department. Contracted a deal with Dystopia Inc to help develop a better cyber security program. Enough to soothe his father’s wrath. It worked cause he just received a call from his father stating how pleased he was with Daehyun’s work. God, it drained the life out of him. And Daehyun didn’t even want to think about the situation with Youngjae.

It hurt too much to be near the boy, but not hold him, laugh with him, smile with him. He could have gone back with being friends with Youngjae. That’s what the chipmunk wanted. But where would that leave Daehyun? In one-sided limbo? That was not Daehyun’s style. He couldn’t allow himself to be a hopeless puppy. He couldn’t allow himself to be like his mother. Blindly pining for the affection of someone who would not love him back. What were the results? Nothing, but pain and dependence. And Daehyun couldn’t depend on anyone. He didn’t know how. His family had taught him survival of the fittest. A shark eat shark world. He thought he could, but he could never completely open up. Only having Jongup to lean on. But Jongup could only do so much. He loved the younger as brother, but Jongup had his own life, his own love. Daehyun thought being on his own was fine. That he didn’t need anyone for anything. He wanted money, he made it. He wanted friends, easy. He wanted , even easier. He thought he would be okay with the life he lived. Till he met Youngjae. Now he felt that he wanted more. He wanted to be loved, to try to fall in love. He just didn’t know how to go about it. 

“Hey,” Daehyun slightly jumped at the new voice in the room. “You okay?” Jongup sat beside Daehyun, placing a small white box in front of him. The box filled with sweets and goodies that Daehyun enjoyed.

“Yeah I’m fine,” Daehyun flashed his friend a small smile, pushing the box away from himself. Jongup brows furrowed together at the sight, knowing that something must be wrong with his friend. Daehyun never denied food. “What?” Daehyun scoffed. “Just because I’m not hungry right now doesn’t mean I’m dying,” Daehyun flashed his friend a small sad smile before leaning his head on Jongup’s firm shoulder. Usually Jongup would flash his friend a scrunched face, not liking the sudden intrusion of his personal space. He had opened up a bit, growing up with a clingy and touchy Daehyun, but he still. Jonguppie did not like touchy. But for this one moment Jongup allowed it. Daehyun needed solace though he would never admit it. “Did you bring me what I asked for?”

“Yep, here are all the files that I’ve gathered at the moment.” Jongup handed Daehyun the file, opening the white box of sweets and pulling out a slice of chocolate cake. 

“Hmmmm, looks like Director Yu has been having financial problems,” Daehyun flipped through the papers. “And Director Matherson…” Daehyun’s eyes furrowed, relooking over the file. “Seems he wishes to venture on a business deal,” Daehyun closed the file, resting his forehead on Jongup’s shoulder. “Find out which business he wants to win over and see if we can pave the way for him. A beneficial favor for a simple vote for me, right?”

Jongup nodded, noting Daehyun’s instructions, his eyes never leaving his friend. Daehyun looked exhausted. The elder going on non-stop business deals in order to get on his father’s good side so he would not in his life. Putting up with the suitors his step-mother and father throw at him. And burying himself in work to avoid thinking about Youngjae. Jongup’s face scrunched up in frustration. He wanted to be mad at Youngjae for hurting his friend, but he couldn’t. The other was also his friend and he understood that Youngjae couldn’t force himself to love Daehyun. It just hurt Jongup to see Daehyun so helpless and burning himself to the ground. He had seen Daehyun do this so many times before. Taking college level courses in highschool then taking graduate level courses in college. Even at a young age, Daehyun had this urge to be perfect, to be noticed, to be loved. Jongup remembered when Daehyun was 12 years old, him only 10, and Daehyun had won second place at the science fair. His father had not shown up. His mother too busy trying to keep herself together. Daehyun stood there alone, award in hand with a sad pout on his face. He was mad that he didn’t win first. Blame his parent’s lack of appearance on his failures. All Jongup could do at the time was hold the older boy’s hand in silence, giving it a light squeeze, while his father, the Jung’s secretary, shuffled the boys into the car. 

“How are you and Youngjae…” Jongup soaked in the silence that followed right after his question. He knew he shouldn’t have asked. He had never seen Daehyun so hung up about a single person that his curiosity and concern outweighed his tact. 

After the presentation, Daehyun did not say a word the entire trip. He just blankly stared at the window. Even when he met the client in Birmingham, an extremely beautiful woman, he didn’t do a thing. No flirtatious banter. No seductive smirk. No bedroom fun. Nothing. Not even when the client showed obvious interest in him, his thigh every now and then. Her tune of anger changing the moment she saw how handsome Daehyun was. But on Daehyun’s end, everything was strictly professional and abrupt. Jongup knew something must have gone wrong with Youngjae and the sudden confession. When Jongup had brought it up before, Daehyun just flashed the other a sad smile saying that had hit that fan and that he was an idiot. His usually boisterous and sunny friend released laughter, but the glints of emptiness in his eyes said otherwise. 

“It’s fine,” Daehyun sat up straight, stretching his toned arms above his head. His black tank top hugging his body tightly. “I’ll get over it…” Daehyun hummed, cracking his neck. 

“Will you?” Jongup quirked a brow, reading his friend's expression.

“I have to, right?” Daehyun let out a dejected chuckle, running his fingers through his messy fluff of hair. “I love him, but he doesn’t love me. The facts are simple. I’m can’t force him to love me...legally anyways. So I can only go back to being the old Daehyun…”

“How mature of you,” Jongup smiled, gently nudging his friend. “But please don’t go all the way back to old Daehyun. I’m really enjoying not walking in on you and some pretty boy or girl or both. I’m trying to protect my eyes.” Daehyun scoffed before both boys broke out into a bout of laughter. Yep, Daehyun had to move on. It wasn’t a choice. He had too or he would keep falling. 


“Could you sign here please?” Youngjae flinched a bit, being pulled out from his line of thought. Youngjae looked up to see a young man with a pile of papers in his hands.

“Huh? Where is Zelo?” Youngjae looked around, wondering where the young intern went. It was usually his job to take care of paperwork and hand over important documents for Youngjae to sign.

“I believe I saw Mr. Choi talking with Mr. Moon about something,” Youngjae smiled a bit, knowing how blushy the young puppy would be in front of his favorite guard dog. “He asked me to hand these to you to sign.”

“Oh…” Youngjae grabbed the stack of papers in his hand, scanning over the documents. Approvals for taking in new patients. Shipping confirmations of equipment needed. Youngjae’s brows furrowed together for a moment. Eyeing a certain document. Authorization of another hospital to do clinical trials. Youngjae tilted his head for a moment, finding the paper to be odd, but couldn’t quite explain why. 

“Is there a problem?” The employee smiled brightly. Youngjae shook his head, deeming his skepticism on exhaustion. He had been holed in the lab for quite some time, working out kinks with the drug. 

“No, there isn’t a problem,” Youngjae returned the employee a half-hearted smile and signed all the documents. “Here you go.”


“Thank you, Mr. Yoo.” The employee bowed slightly and smiled, scurrying out of the lab with documents in hand. 

Youngjae let out a sigh, rubbing his temples. He had be exhausted. Emotionally exhausted. He thought moving on from Daehyun would be simple. That if he willed himself to do so he could forget about the elder. Go back to life without him. But he couldn’t. Trying to get rid of Daehyun was like trying to get rid of a rash in humid summer heat. Difficult. He should have closed his heart, buried the feeling of love down the pits of hell. But who would have expected that him of all people would fall for Jung Daehyun. Daehyun was the type of guy Youngjae hated the most. Cocky, arrogant, and always thought with their first brain later. At least that’s what Youngjae originally thought of Daehyun. But oh no, Daehyun just had to show Youngjae how sensitive he was. How kind he was. How intelligent he was. How supportive he was. He just had to make Youngjae fall for him. And him being so damn good-looking didn’t help Youngjae’s cause either.

Youngjae opened his drawer, pulling out the stuffed wolf rabbit plush that Daehyun had given him during their first official outing. Youngjae gently pet its fur, his stressed anxious expression slowly fading away. It had now become a habit for Youngjae to bring the little bunny to work with him everyday. The thought of it soothed him. Put his anxiety at bay. Just like Daehyun used to do. God, he hated how he couldn’t forget the man. Forget his smile. His laugh. He hated it. Maybe he thought if he chanted that enough in his head he would believe it. Youngjae hugged the doll tight, feeling a bit like a child. Memories of those elementary school days when bullies used to for being chubby and small. A smile spread on Youngjae’s face as he released his grip from bunny, looking at it’s cute little face. Youngjae could just imagine Daehyun’s words of encouragement ‘Pfft, I can see it now, cute little chubby chipmunk. But hey, kids are asses and look at you now. Handsome, genius, and hanging out with a y fellow like me. Let them grovel in envy.’ 

Youngjae gave the wolf bunny a small peck on the head before leaning down to place it back in his drawer. He tilted his head in confusion when he noticed a plastic card lying on the floor beside his desk. Youngjae picked up the card, noting that it belonged to the employee that just came by. It was his employee ID card to be exact. Youngjae quickly placed the plush on his desk and ran out of the lab to catch up with the employee. Employee ID cards were basically the key to enter the building. No ID card no entry. He had to learn that the hard way when he forgot his ID at his place and had to get Daehyun to let him in. But Youngjae assumed that the employee did not have the same connections.

Youngjae made it to the main lobby of his floor, glancing around to see where the employee had run off to, but with a sea of other employees swarming around with all sorts of paperwork in their hand it was a bit difficult to discern who was who. Youngjae scratched the back of his head in confusion, stuffing the card in his pocket to give to Lost and Found later on. He turned around to head back to the lab when he noticed a familiar face. One he didn’t want to see. Not in this moment anyways. Not when the other was smiling and having that flirtatious grin as if he had quickly moved on from Youngjae like the younger feared. 

Daehyun was looking as handsome as ever in his dark blue suit and his hair now dyed a shade lighter. His hair now a glistening dark chocolate brown that suited his skin tone so nicely. Youngjae took a stiff gulp. Feeling himself being pulled in by the beautiful elder’s pearly white smile, the flirtations smirk, the devilish glint in his eye. Youngjae couldn’t take his eyes off the other, even though it hurt that those beautiful features were not directed at him. Daehyun was conversing with an equally handsome man though older. Youngjae recognized immediately who the man was. CEO Han. He owned renowned luxurious hotel chains and was married to a supermodel. But by the way the CEO was eyeing Daehyun, his hand resting on Daehyun’s lower back, Youngjae could tell that the man did not care about the sanctity of his marriage. And Daehyun did not seem to give a damn about the other’s marital status. Daehyun smirked at the elder, leaning in and whispering something in the elder’s ear oh-so-seductively. His hand was placed on the elder’s shoulder, a quip of a playful grin never leaving his lips. The two chuckled about something Youngjae could give a damn about and the elder whispered something else in Daehyun’s ear. The younger replying with a curious raise of an eyebrow.  Youngjae felt sick to his stomach. This was what he feared the most. The Daehyun that could sleep around with no qualms as to what the consequences were. Youngjae teared his eyes away, gnawing on his nails.

He took a deep breath, trying to calm the angry rapid beating of his heart. Feeling that his heart no longer felt like ripping out of his chest and punching Daehyun in the balls. He looked back in the direction of the two men, only to see Daehyun looking at him straight in the eye. The two making tense eye contact. Youngjae couldn’t read Daehyun’s expression. Was he surprised to see him? Hurt to see him? Didn’t give a rat’s ? Youngjae didn’t have a f**king clue and it was eating him alive. Daehyun said something to the elder man, both of them smiling at each other before Daehyun walked away. Towards Youngjae’s direction to be exact. Youngjae was like a deer in the damn headlights of an 18-wheeler. He had no clue what he should do. Run? That was hella suspicious. Stay there and talk to Daehyun like a man? He wasn’t feeling manly today. But Youngjae was frozen in place. He wished he really was a chipmunk right now so he could just run off and hide in a tree. 

“Hi...” Daehyun came up to him, his hands in his pockets awkwardly. 

Daehyun felt like an idiot. ‘Hi?’ That’s what he came up with? He was able to talk to some of the richest and beautiful people alive but he couldn’t even talk to Youngjae properly. He thought that he could move on so easily as he’d done with all his lovers. Even when him and Himchan ended their relationship, the split was amicable and Daehyun moved on fairly quickly. Nothing had even started with Youngjae and yet Daehyun was acting like an awkward turtle. It wasn’t his fault that the younger took his breath away, and now that his appearance was polished Daehyun could feel his words get caught up in his throat at Youngjae’s mere presence. He hated how beautiful and huggable the boy look. He hated that he wanted to reach out and caress every inch of Youngjae’s skin, claiming him as his. He hated that he had to keep mum in fear that he would say something that would make the boy hate him or scare him off. 

“Hi…” Youngjae awkwardly rubbed his arm, not liking the unpleasant atmosphere. 

“I haven’t seen you around lately. You must have been busy, Mr. Yoo.” Youngjae stiffened at Daehyun’s words. Like ice had suddenly ran through his veins. Mr. Yoo. It made Youngjae feel as if the two were worlds apart. That Daehyun had now drawn a line between the two of them. It hurt. It hurts how the two of them could never be how they were before. It hurt that he would no longer hear Daehyun’s laugh, his playful banter, even his sarcastic jabs. Youngjae wished he could have turned back time and accept Daehyun’s confession. Tell the truth and admit to  Daehyun that he felt the same way the elder did. But would the pain of possibly losing that love when he’s had the taste of it be as equal as the pain now? Youngjae didn’t want to know. 

“Same to you,” Youngjae shuffled his feet. Feeling a bubble of hatred at Daehyun as he remembered how the elder had basically flirted and seduced the elder CEO. It was so effortless for Daehyun and it made Youngjae angry. Made Youngjae want to throw up. “It seems as if you’ve sealed the deal.” Youngjae nudged his head towards the elder CEO, the older man idly glancing at his watch. 

“Not yet…” Daehyun let out a small smile, a slight smirk on the corner of his mouth. “But hopefully I’ll find out tonight.” Youngjae cringed at the possible inclinations of Daehyun’s words. was really just an act for Daehyun. A way to achieve quick pleasure or to sweeten a deal. 

“I see….” Youngjae looked away from the older, an apparent grimace on his face. Daehyun didn’t seem to have understood that the grimace was due to him. He reached out and gently ruffled the younger’s hair, causing Youngjae to flinch from the sudden gentle touch.

“You’ve been swamped with a lot of work so don’t push yourself too hard.” Daehyun showed Youngjae one last smile, a sincere one with care in his voice, before returning to the elder CEO. 

Youngjae’s heart clenched. Why did Daehyun have to be so concerned about him? Treat him so well? It just made Youngjae more confused, more skeptical of his decisions. More fearful that he would be forever stuck with these feelings. He loved Daehyun. But he needed to be away from Daehyun. He loved Daehyun. But he needed someone he could trust, someone that would cherish him. He loved Daehyun. But he needed someone that wouldn’t be tired of him once they got their kicks. He loved Daehyun. But he needed someone that would give him a relationship, not a quick f**k. He loved Daehyun. But he could never tell him. 


“Did you get what you need?” Woojin snickered on the other end of the phone. The employee, smirking as he went through the stack of papers in his hand. Tossing aside the legitimate ones. His eyes sparkled at the sight of his goal. The hospital authorization paper.

“Of course, I’m a professional after all.” The employee snickered, removing his tie and readjusted his hair as he exited Jung Corp. 

“And he didn’t suspect a thing.” Woojin was practically tickled pink at the sound of his plan going into action. 

“Nope, not a thing,” The ‘employee’ grinned, peeling off the transfer paper that dictated the document as a hospital authorization only to reveal the true document underneath. “I expect to find money in my account by this afternoon.”

“Only if this plan pans out.”

“Of course, I’m a professional forger after all.” The forger chuckled, tossing the transfer paper in the trash and eyeing Youngjae signature nicely printed on the corner of the true document. 

“Good. I expect excellent results.” Woojin chuckled, his voice emanating how pleased he was. The thought of Daehyun being so hurt so tarnished made the man giddy. 

“Oh you will. A storm is coming for Jung Daehyun, whether he realizes it or not.”


Daehyun groaned, opening a bottle of advil and downing down a few pills dry. He was feeling like . Actually from the past few weeks he was feeling like . His tan handsome face was now pale and ridden with exhaustion. He had been feeling sluggish lately and the lack of proper rest or food was not assisting his condition. His throat felt sore and all Daehyun wanted to do was sleep for 48 hours. But he couldn’t stop working. Not when his half-brother’s business deal with the tech mogul fell through like he expected. He and Jongup had done extensive research on the mogul, finding out that the mogul had a penchant for gambling and failed prototypes. Daehyun knew immediately that the deal would go sour. But what did daddy dearest do? Shoved it up his and not gave a damn. Saying that Daehyun should trust Woojin just as he trusted Daehyun with the business. Trust Daehyun’s . Daehyun had to work years as a gopher, from the bottom up, to earn this ‘trust’ that Woojin automatically received. Now Daehyun had to clean up after the mess his father’s trust got him. 

“Daehyun,” Jongup gently shook Daehyun’s shoulder, the older seeming to have zoned off but did not realize it. “I have news from Yongguk,” Daehyun’s shoulders relaxed. Hopefully the news was good news. “He said he was able to take care of the favor you asked him. The files were retrieved and given to our tech team, hopefully they could figure out where the hell this tech mogul was trying to take this thing.” 

“That’s good…” Daehyun sighed, leaning back on his leather office chair and closing his eyes. 

“Have you been home recently?” Jongup took note of the piles of paper coffee cup in Daehyun’s trash.

“No, why?” Daehyun opened one eye slightly to see Jongup picking up files that had fallen onto Daehyun’s floor. 

“You look like .” Jongup straightened the files and placed them on his desk. 

“Thanks,” Daehyun scoffed. “I’ve finally managed to get that hotel business deal with CEO Han. The old geezer kept wanting to go out to ‘dinner’ with me to discuss business, but I’m pretty sure that the only thing he wanted to eat was my .” Daehyun growled, fed up with dealing with CEO Han. The only highlight was that Daehyun was able to see Youngjae a few weeks ago. The two had been avoiding each other, but seeing his little chipmunk was like a shot of vitamin C. 

“Too much information....he’s a handsome man though. I thought he’d be your type.” Daehyun scowled at Jongup’s words. 

“No. Ew. I am not into handsome older men. He reminds me of my f**king father and I do not have some Electra complex. I like pretty boys more.” Daehyun shuddered at the thought of men like his father hitting on him. No. NO. NOOOOOO.

“That’s obvious,” Jongup chuckled, his attention ripped from his mind when his phone buzzed. Jongup pulled out his phone, glancing down at the message that was flashing on his screen. Jongup’s expression turned dark, a large frown plastered on his chiseled face. His eyebrows tucked tightly together.

“What’s up?” Daehyun noted the sudden change of expression of his good friend. 

“Daehyun pull up the news.” Jongup ordered, his eyes never leaving his phone as he continued to read the message from the company’s attorneys. 

“Huh? Why? Did Woojin and step- get arrested?” Daehyun chuckled a bit, but Jongup’s face was still hardened. 

“Daehyun.” Jongup’s voice stern and not in the mood for games. Daehyun taking that as a sign that something important had just across Jongup’s phone immediately pulled up the news on his computer. 

“We have received news for a reliable informant that Jung Pharma has attempted to purchase cheap deadly reagents from an outsource party known for synthesizing dirty chemicals. It seems that these cheap alternatives contain high cyanide content as well as other deadly impurities,” Daehyun’s eyed grew wide as the words poured out of the news anchor’s mouth. “Here we have the manager of the distributer who informed us about this concerning issue.”

“Every time we receive chemical orders we thoroughly inspect all the product, ensuring that no deadly substance is exposed to the public. When we stumbled upon the Jung Pharma chemicals we found high concentrations of contamination that if put into their new drug would cause serious health issues to those going through the clinical trial.” Daehyun’s eyes narrowed. He never remembered authorizing any sort of order for any sort of chemicals, especially not one meant for the upcoming drug.

“It seems rather than spending money on higher quality reagents, Jung Pharma has chosen to take the cheaper alternative at the cost of possibly killing thousands of lives,” Jongup stared at the screen equally shocked and angered as the news anchor revealed a piece of paper on the screen. “We even have the written proof that this deadly order was signed off by the lead researcher of the project.” Daehyun and Jongup stared at the screen in disbelief. There right before their eyes was Youngjae’s signature. 


Thanks for reading! Comments, questions, and critiques are happily accepted!

I know you guys really wanted and Youngjae and Daehyunnie to get together, but where would the fun in that be haha Me being the evil authornim I am have now thrown in a ton of angst and sad Daejae. My apologies, but don't tell me you don't love the drama haha

Speaking of drama though, things have just gotten real! Daehyun is in big trouble now and not just him Youngjae has been reeled in XD All because of no good Woojin (I know how much y'all hate him and I have to say it is highly entertaining hehehe)