FORTY-FIVE ♔

BloNote ➻ GYoon Edition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

/A fire broke out at a home on 58th Street. Any squad car nearby please provide assistance./

 

Daesung and I looked at each other and I picked up the walkie-talkie.

 

"Squad 1 is just round the corner. We'll head over there right now."

 

"Seolla has just passed and there's already a mishap?" Daesung sighed. "Looks like it's going to be another bad year~"

 

"Stop being so superstitious," I chuckled, shaking my head. "We're cops. If there's no crimes or danger around, you'll be out of job and that'll really be bad for you."

 

"Whatever hyung~" He snorted. 

 

A fire truck came roaring passed us, red lights splashing against the February night sky. By the time we pulled up in our squad car, we saw the group of firemen on their systematic attack on the flames coming from the upper floor of the home, a three-bedroom butter-coloured colonial with red wooden shutters.

 

A woman, with long, wavy ebony hair, wearing a daisy-patterned sweater, was trying to get into the fire to retrieve stuff. She was being restrained on the lawn by the guys, who considering the way they ducked her flailing arms, were losing the battle. They screamed at her over the spraying water.

 

"It's not safe, agassi!"

 

"I've to get back in!"

 

She whipped her face towards our direction, her eyes wild. She looked lithe and attractive, in her early thirties.

 

"Holy -! Yoo-"

 

Daesung gasped when he saw her while my expression turned into a stoic one. 

 

♂♂♂♂♂

 

Last night was pure hectic and believe it or not, when I returned to the burnt house the next morning, I was cleanly-shaved. I was in my crisp blue shirt, my hair combed straight back. I tried to ignore the reason behind me trying to look good as I made my way into the house.

 

The firemen had everything under control within half an hour yesterday night. Yes, I knew the woman - Im Yoona. She was my ex-girlfriend, the one that left me and...

 

"What?" She broke my train of thoughts with her voice. "It's more caffeine this way. I do this when I have to stay awake during overnight calls. You were the one that taught me this."

 

Here I was, standing inside her charred kitchen, watching her dump a spoonful of instant coffee into her already full cup.

 

I nodded and looked around. The smoke damage made the tan walls look like half-toasted bread. I saw a laptop on the counter, salvaged from the fire, and of course, the precious thing that she was trying to retrieve from the raging fire; the one and only photo she had taken with Jiyoon.

 

Kwon Jiyoon; my daughter. Our daughter.

 

"So... Why?"

 

"What why?" She noticed my gaze at the photo and grabbed the photo frame, resting it on the cabinet.

 

"It's only... a photo."

 

"To you, it's only a photo because you've hundreds, thousands of it. To me, this is the only connection left that reminds me of her, that reminds me that I'm her mum."

 

I could feel the anger bubbling inside me, "then why leave back then?"

 

She frowned, "this isn't an investigation."

 

"I'm her father!" I exploded. "I reckon this is a reason more valid than some stupid investigation."

 

Yoona lowered her eyes. She looked at her bare feet, which looked like it's been months since she had pedicure. This... wasn't like her; if she's the same old career-minded woman Im Yoona, she would never allow this to happen.

 

"What brings you back here, seriously," I tried toning down, sighing.

 

"I... What do you want me to say, oppa?" She looked up, giving a weak chuckle. "I conceded defeat? I actually regretted my decision back then?"

 

"You're never one to regret, Im Yoona," I wasn't buying any of these. "Regret? You'd been gone for a full FOUR years, Yoong! Pardon me for not believing any of the bull you're spinning."

 

"Believe it or not, it is what it is," she replied. "I just... I just want to take a look at... her."

 

My blood ran cold at with her mention. So that's the reason; she's back fighting for Jiyoon?

 

"No," I dismissed it quickly. "Not one fat hope, Im Yoona."

 

"I just want to take a look at her! I wasn't planning to fight for her or whatsoever! If I did, I wouldn't have come back quietly and discreetly! I would have sent you a lawyer's letter straight away and meet you at the courts!"

 

"Custody battles always start like this, no?" I smirked, shaking my head. "I'm not letting you go near her. Never."

 

"Why are you always so stubborn and... un-"

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter