EXTRA SCENE 4: Toasts

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SinB

 

“Rosé, please stop crying,” I softly whisper to her ears as I try to soothe her sobs with a comforting pat on her back. She’s so soft she makes me want to cry too! But I won’t, not today at least, because I will not let anything ruin the five hours of make-up I just endured this morning.

“Yeah, Rosé, seriously stop crying. I don’t want my wedding photos ruined,” my husband jokingly says making Rosé laugh when I throw a light punch on the side of his head.

Yes, my husband, Jackson Wang.

Who would have thought that after all we’ve been through, all the bickering and slandering, we’d actually be the first among our friends to say our vows and the two most perfect words “I do”?

No one right? I would have never in a million years guessed that too. But fate has its ways it seems. Because just when I thought there’d be no way in this world that we could even speak a word to each other or that I could totally move on from him already, good happened and we’re back together, as if we never hurt each other. Maybe because we never really intended to hurt each other, but it was all just a miscommunication and lots of stupidity on both sides, mostly his.

Anyway, after exclusively dating for almost two years, one day while we were on my couch cuddling and eating some popcorn while watching Netflix, Jackson surprised me by asking me some stuff I never thought I would hear from him.

 

“You know, I’m almost at your place every night already. Why don’t we just make it official, settle down and live together?”

I stared at him, the movement of the popcorn, that was on its way to my mouth that hanged wide open, was suspended as literally every fiber of me stopped all movement, speechless and doubtful of what his words sounded like. I mean, he couldn’t be meaning whatever I was thinking, right?

Just to make sure, I asked, “A-Are you proposing?”

“I think so?” he says with one of his eyebrows cocked, imitating my expression.

“You’re unsure?”

“Only if you want a grander scene with lots of pink balloons and specially planned flash mob with the company’s dancers—”

“Okay, it’s a yes.”

“What?” He mockingly asked as if he didn’t hear it. “Did you just say yes without hearing the proper question? God you’re totally not fun at all. I don’t know why I fell for a girl like you.”

“Just ask the damn question,” I shot him daggers. Seriously, with his flirtatious green jokes and my impatient no-kidding temper, I find it surprising too how we’re a couple.

Jackson then slowly stood up, clicked his tongue and smirked, “Nah, I changed my mind. I’ll team-up with the gang and give you an over-the-top propos—”

His words halted and his breath hitched when I pushed him back to the couch, me on top of him. “If you do that,” I teasingly brushed my lips down his throat all the way up to the side of his ear, “No for you until the honeymoon.”

“,” he groaned when my hips subtly moved. “Fine, fine!”

And before I knew it, my body was splatted on the couch with him hovering over me. I winked at him, getting excited with the upcoming and the one after that.

But different from our routine where he just possessively touches me, this time he took his time marveling at me, as if I was the most expensive and most prized treasure in this earth.

I heard then a shuffling sound at his pocket; he was getting something. What was it? A ? But why would his hand shake so much if it’s just that. I mean, he has probably have held a more than his phone so what the hell?

Then he grabbed my left hand and showered it with kisses as he stared deeply into my eyes, my eyes that have become a reflection of his: a river of tears. “SinB,” he whispered, and then I saw it.

“Oh my God, you’re really serious,” I cried like a lost child who finally reunited with her parents after an hour of missing when Jackson opens the black velvety box, a delicately designed diamond ring sparkling even through the dimmed room inside it.

I thought he was just joking. I mean, he’s Jackson Wang for God’s sake! He’s the ultimate man- machine who used to sleep with a different girl every night. And now, and now—

“Only when it comes to you,” he sweetly pecks me on the forehead before repeating, “only when it comes to you because I love you.”

I took his face with my hands and pulled it towards mine, gazed at his godly face that should be illegal in this world before I plunge on a deep, hot, mouthwatering kiss with him.

When I could no longer breathe, I pulled away from him and frantically said, “Yes Jackson, it’s a yes! I love you, yes I will marry you!” And I kissed him again, pouring my ecstatic emotions into it.

He then hauled my body from his—which I unknowingly dangled all over him—and deeply chuckled, “You are the most impatient woman ever. Can’t you at least wait for the question?”

“Then ing ask it now. Did you think I was kidding when I said no if—”

As if that was the trigger, with the most beautiful smile on his face, he ing finally asked, “Eunbi.”

“Yeah?”

“Marry me?”

And I broke into the biggest grin possible, “Okay.”

“And let me you all day long and whenev—”

I playfully smacked him at the head, “That was so unromantic and unnecessary.” He’s such a moment ruin-er, I swear!

“You’re right, that was needless since we do it all the time anyway,” he winked at me in his infamous manner.

“True,” I said as I bit his lip and his tongue, “so shut up now and do me.” And he happily complied.

 

Jackson

 

Man, if it was up to me, I’d skip all these traditions and head over to Hawaii already, where our honeymoon suite awaits me and my wife. You know, straight to the good stuff.

I sneakily glance at my watch. Hmm, approximately two hours more and I get her, alone.

“Honey, stop checking the time every five minutes,” SinB scolds me, her eyes and lips held a smile yet her voice is as icy as Antarctica’s bergs. “Is our wedding reception that boring for you?”

I draw my lips close to her ear for only her to hear, “It’s not of course, but can you blame me after accidentally seeing the Victoria Secret paper bag and the new lacy red lingerie in it?”

She smirks at me seductively before whispering back, “You mean the one I’m wearing now?”

“ SinB, I swear if you weren’t just wearing such a big white dress, your back would have been pressed already to my front, my hips grinding with yours as your lips moan like crazy—”

“Hey lovebirds! Especially you Jackson,” Jungkook’s voice booms in the hall, “I’m about to give my speech here—which you begged me in tears to do—so how about some attention here and not down there in your pants?”

The crowd roars in laughter and so do I because I’m not the kind of guy who gets embarrassed with that kind of joke. But just see when I give him a taste of his medicine in his own wedding; I doubt he’ll be able to lift his chin up then, heh.

I gesture my best man to go on and he nods in response. “Okay, so for some of you who don’t know, Jackson and I have been best friends since the first day we met: The CoA 2014 Auditions. He passed, I didn’t. Lucky bastard,” he mutters making the room erupt in laughter. Then he shakes his head, “That’s not the funny part! The funny part is we already signed the leasing contract of the apartment and paid a year worth of rent! So imagine going home to see your buddy doing the dream you couldn’t…it was hard, well but I got in eventually and am more famous than him now,” he chuckles, “but of course this story is not about me; I’m not as egotistical as him.”

“Anyway, so yeah that continued for months until months later, he changed. He was even way happier than before and had hearts in his eyes that I wanted to pop his eyeballs so bad then. He was looking so in love, I didn’t know then with whom, but I knew he was definitely in love. Now I know it was of course with you, SinB,” he shows off his bunny-like smile at my wife whose head is now resting on my shoulder, her hands clinging to my arm. I gently clutch her chin and tilt her head, and then I softly kiss her on the lips.

Jungkook continues, “So yeah, at first I was really envious. But then seeing Jackson doing all those crazy things became such a treat to my days, if I only knew earlier, I would have thanked SinB earlier.”

“What crazy things? Well, like composing and producing a rap song that’s literally just a confession song for her. He also made a biscuit love house out of chocolate sticks for Pepero Day, I mean who does that? Oh, right! White Day, he did not only gave her handmade chocolates, but those chocolates were also shaped through a special molder! He had a molder customized with the exact contour of his lips!”

“Hey! That was supposed to be a secret!” I bellow, but not really mad, but still. That one’s a little too embarrassing to share to everyone.

“It’s okay honey, I really enjoyed nibbling on those chocolates anyway,” SinB giggles.

“Really?” In a husky voice, I ask, “But which do you prefer nibbling on, my lips or—”

“Man, this couple really gets easily distracted; I really can’t believe and still wonder how these two ended up breaking up at one point. But anyway, even though it was a long road, I’m happy you guys eventually found each other and are back in each other’s arms again. I’m really, really proud of you two, on what you’ve become and what you will be as—I hope—a soon-to-be mom and dad to a happy family.”

Jungkook then raises his glass of champagne, the others following soon. “To the couple who made me believe love is true and that as long as it is, love will come back—”

“Hey keep it about the couple!” Jin thankfully interrupts Jungkook’s not-so-subtle love message to his fiancé Rosé whom Jungkook had a fair share of broke-up-but-got-back-together story with.

“Thanks man,” I give Jin my signature wink.

“Anytime,” he then blows me a kiss making everyone laugh for the nth time. Man, my wedding is gonna be everyone’s favorite.

Jungkook chuckles too but with a flushed face. He scratches the back of his neck as he shyly says, “Uh yeah, so, uhm,” he clears his throat, “to Jackson and SinB, cheers!”

“Cheers!” and so everyone did.

“Okay that was cute,” SinB’s twin sister starts to say as she grabs the microphone from Jungkook, “but we can agree that was too uncontroversial and nice, right? So that’s what I’m here for.”

“She’s not drunk, is she?” I mutter to my wife’s ear.

Jessica easily picks up my words and replies through the microphone, “Oh dear brother-in-law, no, of course no. Though I doubt I’d need alcohol for what I’m about to share with our fellow guests here. You guys ready for something spicy?”

The crowd then hoots in excitement whereas SinB groans and beats herself up in regret, “I shouldn’t have made her my bridesmaid.”

“Why not? I think it’d be fun,” I comfort her with a kiss on a cheek.

“Of course you’d think,” she slightly glares at me.

Luckily, Jessica breaks the impending fight, “Okay, so JK here shared you some of their sweet and cringey moments, but I, pretty and oh-so-y fashionable Jessica, will tell you the whole of it as well as the bitter and burned crusts,” she says in a suggestive tone. “But where to begin… Ah! Their first meeting.”

 

SinB

 

It was the worst day.

The bath water was ice cold and the heater malfunctioned. Jessica wore the dress I planned to wear today; something I planned a week ago. My breakfast toast burned to perfect black with the egg undecided whether it was sunny side-up or scrambled. One of my contacts went missing that I had to wear my old, dusty and rusty spectacles.

On the streets, on the way to CoA, on the day I forgot my umbrella, rain suddenly poured; I was still far from the bus station. I stepped inside the bus then that came after waiting for thirty minutes. It wasn’t crowded but all the seats were filled; I was the only one standing in the bus, drenched and shivering.

And then I had to run under the rain again once I reached my stop. As soon as I got into the rehearsal space, I saw the time. My first day as a stage manager and I’m more than thirty minutes late. With the dramatic loud bang of the door, everyone stopped and stared at me; all their unwanted attention upon me.

It was embarrassing. It was utterly humiliating. But it wasn’t the worst.

Because he was the worst thing that happened.

Dumbfounded with the situation I never thought I would be in, I didn’t notice it when a coat was suddenly put on me. I swiftly glanced at the gentleman and was supposed to say my thanks but I was speechless with his handsome looks. Strong, manly, and definitely y, he was the perfect combination of those three. Deadly too, if I may add.

When I did regain my consciousness, I politely said, “Thank—”

He lowered his head, his lips brushed my right ear, and I swear I would have been totally floored by him if only he didn’t speak with that funny accent of his, “Don’t thank me. It’s because you’re so wet that it’s . I just don’t want a on the first day of rehearsals.” He then leaned back and smirked at me like a god who satisfyingly accomplished one of his ty missions in life.

Only he messed with the wrong person.

As if I had a built-in reflex to erts, I slapped his cheek so hard my handprint was painted red on his face the whole day.

 

“And that’s how they met,” SinB sips on her glass. “Really, I was laughing my of when she told me about that day. She would always go home so furious because of a certain foreigner that kept on bothering her non-stop with erted jokes—my sister can’t stand that. Well I guess used to, seeing that she’s married to the horniest person in this room.”

I know Jackson’s usually nonchalant to such jokes, but sometimes, my twin sister is just too much and gives me and Jackson a heart attack. Her choice of words is way too dirty for public. Jackson once told me that he finds it too weird and creepy whenever he hears Jessica because we share the same face.

“I was single then you know,” Jessica continues, “longing for love and deeper connection. But every time SinB went home with the whole of her jumping in joy and filled with butterflies, I was so happy for her too. She became bubblier, prettier and just better in all ways. She even stopped picking on my flaws and didn’t get mad when I used her clothes without permission!” She animatedly shares causing everyone in the room to burst into laughter while I turn tomato. “I didn’t ask for details like what happened or who she was going out with because one, we’re not the type to do that, and two, I’m not that of a masochist.”

“But then one day, out of nowhere, for the first time since we were born, she asked me for a favor,” I clutch on Jackson’s arm harder as Jessica speaks as the memories trespass my mind. “She called me and asked me a simple question, and I lost it.”

 

“Hey SinB! What a surprise—”

“Where are you?” I tried to pronounce as normal as I could against the tears the free-flowed from my eyes and the hiccups that uncontrollably filled me.

But I guess we’re twins for a reason.

“No,” she firmly said. My sister for the first time seemed to be the older one between us as she demanded, “You tell me where you are right now and I will come to you.”

Soon, before I realized it, I was engulfed in a tight hug that made me feel secure. With soft and gentle fingers, my hair was being caressed and my sobs were muted with a palm rubbing my back.

“Shhh,” she said. “Stop crying; nothing is that deserving of ruining your perfect face. It’s totally weird to see my reflection ugly, okay?” she joked, an attempt to make me laugh.

But it failed as I continued to miserably wet her expensive tweed Chanel jacket, and even wailed louder as I was no longer able to deny the pain of what I witnessed.

“,” she swore, “Tell me who the he is and I’ll kill him. I’ll ing murder him.”

“No, no, no,” I pulled back from our hug and wiped my tears. It was then I saw that her eyes were full of rage.

“What do you mean no? Are you crazy—?”

“I said no because I’m the one who’s going to kill him. I’ll stab him on his chest at least thrice first. Then I’ll slice him up, take his heart out, squeeze the life out of it, and—”

 

“And I had to drag her back home before she actually does it because she looked like she could really kill someone then!” Jessica laughs on the memory while everyone smiles awkwardly.

“Did you really say that? You didn’t right?” a scared and forced smile plasters on my husband’s face.

“W-well I was really mad at you then!” I release myself from him then as I shift my attention to Jessica, “W-we should listen till the end of her story.”

 

I reached for the alcohol cabinet as soon as we reached home. I don’t remember how many bottles and what kind of shots I drank, but I know I was so drunk that I shared to Jessica what happened, something I almost never do between us.

“H-he was making out with some other girl!” I hiccupped.

“Are you sure it was him?”

“Damn sure! He asked me out just this morning. He’s the one who said where and what time to meet, that ing bastard! I was so excited because it’s been almost a month since we actually went out. B-but then, when I got there I saw him sitting there with a woman on top of him, straddling and grinding him as if they were alone in a room.”

“Maybe he didn’t intend it to happen and it was just the girl who suddenly jumped him and you just came in at a bad timing?”

“Maybe if his hands weren’t roaming and squeezing the life out of her and s!” and my heart throbs again in hurt. How could he? I trusted him. And we weren’t even fighting anymore. I—I was really falling for him! Everything was perfect. We were perfect, at least I thought. “And maybe if his tongue wasn’t stuck down that ’s throat and he wasn’t staring right at me!”

Jessica gasped, “No! He ing did not!”

“Yes, he ing did! He held eye contact with me as his hand went inside that girl’s pants and did what it did!”

 

“Honey, I know you’re sisters and that what I did then was totally uncalled for, but does she really have to tell everyone that part too?” Jackson’s smile twitches.

“Jessica, please,” I call her attention and I send her a telepathic message to please stop for the love of God.

Thankfully she does, “Oops, the champagne’s probably getting to me. Anyway, back to the story.”

 

Jackson

 

She stopped talking to me after that day. Let alone a wave or a nod; she stopped looking at me too. She wasn’t even being subtle about it too as she quit being the stage manager of the production.

Rumors are, she even begged to the leaders to switch with the other ongoing production’s stage manager. Casts from the other production said she always stayed further after the rehearsals ended, and so one time when a cast member had to go back because she forgot something, she saw SinB bawling her eyes out. Out of curiosity, I spied on her the next day and saw that she was truly crying her heart out.

And that’s great. Even better because that’s what I wanted to happen anyway. That was my revenge.

I wanted her to feel the pain of seeing the one you love with another. I wanted her heart to break the same way mine shattered into pieces upon learning the real her. I wanted her to hurt so bad the way my chest constricted when I saw her locking lips with another man. At least mine was intentiona

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter