EXTRA SCENE 2.1: Friends

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie

 

Another day has come. Another freaking day, just like yesterday and the other day before that, has come. It’s a new day but what’s going to happen will probably be the same with the 2,500 days that have passed. That means, Yoongi and I will go out for dinner just like the usual and it’ll end up with us talking, eating, and going home to our separate lives yet again.

…Now I’m wondering why I even bother to dress-up and perfect my make-up when I know nothing’s going to change anyway. Not today, not tomorrow, not even in another seven years. But I guess I’m still hoping that maybe—just maybe—today will be different.

But as I walk alone on the streets towards the restaurant we agreed to just meet at like we always do, I come to realize that I’m going to end up alone in bed yet again later, crying and stuffing my mouth with chocolates and ice cream. God, thank God I love working out.

 

“Bonjour, mademoiselle!” a handsome young lad greets me at the reception area. “Do you have any reservation?”

“Yes, under Min Yoongi,” I return his smile.

He nods and proceeds to tap on the keyboards of his desktop quickly, furrowing after a few seconds and smiles apologetically, “Let me just…check it for a second ma’am.”

“Go ahead,” I tell him as I try to take a peek inside the restaurant, wondering how it looks like inside.

Okay. Oh my God. Now I’m getting kind of excited for this dinner “date”. It’s been really a while since we went to a fancy place like this. A place that’s heart-thumping and very romantic with its sophisticated interior that can be easily seen even behind the frosted walls. I can’t help to think then that maybe, today is really going to be “The Day”.

My optimism is short-lived then when the receptionist informs me, “I’m sorry ma’am, I tried a number of times already but our system has been failing to recognize the name “Min Yoongi”. I’m really sorry to ask this, but are you sure—“

“Of course I’m sure,” I snicker. 

Of course I knew this would happen, again. I mean, yes, there was a part of me that hoped it wouldn’t, but who am I kidding? He’s never going to be serious, never going to learn about proper dates even if it’s just about a damn dinner reservation. If anything, it’s me who learned something after living in the same routine for seven years.

And that’s why I tell the perplexed fine young man instead, “A hundred percent sure he’ll forget to do it that’s why can you kindly look up “Jennie Kim” instead?”

 

“I’m sorry Jennie, really sorry!” I’ve heard this for the nth time already from him and I’m seriously getting sick of hearing it. It’s like that one song on the radio that they keep on playing every hour, every day. “I got too absorbed with the music I was composing for the upcoming play and you know what happens when I’m in the zone, I get taken to another dimension,” his face lightens up as he talks about his music, forgetting already the sin he committed.

“Yeah, yeah. It’s alright don’t mention it.” I nonchalantly say because I know he’ll do it again anyway, and I’ll forgive him easily again anyway, which is why I’m sicker with myself.

“Jennie Kim.”

God damn it. Why do those two words, when it comes from his mouth, why do they give me butterflies making me feel like a high school girl who just had her first kiss?

I put on a false front and scowl at him, “What?”

“I’m really sorry,” he covers my hand with his as his soft eyes lays on me.

And just like that, I’ve lost the battle again.

“Yoongi, my man, is that really you?”

Yoongi quickly releases his touch from mine, and I can’t help but twitch from the action. Like, really? Am I that hideous and embarrassing to be with that he doesn’t want anyone to see us holding each other, as if my hand is full of germs?

“Oh hey. I didn’t think we’d meet here,” Yoongi fidgets on his seat, totally taken aback that someone unexpected showed up.

“Tell me about it,” the tall, tan and muscular guy, completely opposite to Yoongi’s milky white soft and short body type, chuckles, “I never thought you’d be the type of guy to dine in a fancy place like this, and with a girl too,” he winks, his charmingly y and full of swag aura exuding off him.

Yoongi in return just rolls his eyes, continues to stare at his food, slices and takes a bite of his Steak Diane instead.

“Hey man, mind a little introduction?” Yoongi’s friend smiles widely at him. Okay that’s another difference as Yoongi’s smiles appear once in a blue moon only.

“Yes, I do. Now go away,” Yoongi doesn’t even look at him and waves him off.

“Jennie Kim,” I position my arm towards him for a handshake.

He takes it with an even wider grin, his hand so big it almost covers my whole hand. “Namjoon, he says, “Kim Namjoon.”

“Would you like to take a sit?” I ask him out of courtesy. I mean, it probably wouldn’t hurt. They’re friends anyway. Besides, I think it’d be more interesting to get to know a new side of Yoongi than his unending, on-repeat apologies.

“Yes, I’d love to. Glad to know there’s still some manners at this table.” He glares at Yoongi before whispering to him, though it was still loud enough for me to hear, “This girl is not only extremely pretty, she’s polite too!”

As if complimenting me was not enough of a bolt from the blue, Namjoon takes me on another level of surprise when he takes the seat beside me, sitting so close to me that his elbow almost brushes with mine.

I glance at Yoongi, wondering if perhaps, for even just a tiny bit, he’ll feel jealous. But none, he doesn’t even bat his eyes that are glued to his plate of fries and steak.

“So,” Namjoon starts without hesitation, every piece of him facing me when he asks, “What’s the score between the two of you? Are you guys together or something?”

“I—uh—we’re, uhm, we’re—” flabbergasted, I look back at Yoongi for help because God damn it, I don’t know too. God damn it, I want to know the answer to that too! And God damn it, I shouldn’t have, because the look he’s giving right now, the cringing and the twitching we’re too much that it God damn ing hurts, “—we’re friends.”

As soon as I spit those words, realization hits me i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter