CHAPTER 18: Surprise

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rosé

 

"So I got to peek at the results of the auditions..." I dramatically pause and take a sip of my delicious mojito, waiting for Jungkook to ask me what's next.

And of course, like the obedient adorable puppy who gulps in great amount of nerves that he is, he asks, "And?"

"Well why do you think we're at a fancy Spanish restaurant with lots of floury food?" I ask sarcastically as I glance around the magnificent interior of the place.

Speaking of, let me just breathe in this movie-like ambiance.

Haaaa.

Wow!

The modernistic chandeliers, the mini library on the side, the huge glass windows that just invites you in--everything, everything is just wow. Everything is just really impeccable. (In fact, it's so beautiful that I feel like the word beautiful doesn't even seem so beautiful anymore.)

But Jungkook, still not forgetting how his auditions went, answers, "To comfort me?"

"No!" I yelp in frustration as I sort-of slap and hold my cheeks in place and shake my head vigorously. I then break into a wide grin and excitedly tells him, "To celebrate of course, pabo!"

"What?"

"You made it!" I beam at him very happily. Too happy for him I guess as I unconsciously start shaking my hips while sitting.

But Jungkook, in a flat expression asks yet again, "What?" Clearly, he cannot believe what I just said. I guess he has probably psyched himself up already that he won't be getting a part in Jiyong saem's play. That or that he'll just be a part of the crowd, yelling in chorus.

"I said, you made it. Well you're not the lead, but the supporting role is fine too right?" I say as I put a bite of calzone into my mouth, reverting my interest back to the incredible platter in front of me since I'm not getting a good reaction from the guy across me anyway.

It takes around five minutes of eating alone in front of a frozen statue before I finally hear my favorite voice again. "You're not ting me?"

Ughk!

I choke on my food the instant those words came out from him. I make sure then to flood my throat before saying, "Seriously Jungkook."

"Wait. This can't be true. I ed up, and they--Wait! Wait..." His eyes enlarge then. His arms stretch out towards me, holding me firmly on my shoulders. He then intently stares at me (I can really have a staring showdown with this guy and I'll never ever want to lose), his grip becoming even tighter, "Rosé. You didn't do anything right?"

Huh?

What?

What?!!!

"Oh my God Jungkook!" I gasp loudly as the realization hits me. "Are you accusing me of pulling some strings just to get you a role?! Do you actually think I did that?!" I whisper furiously at him as to not make a scene (although I was really, really mad).

I don't need to hear him say yes as it is all written already on the eyes that are averting my gaze, the lips that are forming a pout, and the fingers that are slowly retreating and scratching the back of his neck.

"I am so offended and dumbfounded right now," I place my right hand on top of my chest where the heart is and continue, "Who do you think I am? And just how dare you belittle my boyfriend?!"

As soon as he hears the last question that spurted out of me, Jungkook snorts and finally unleashes his boyish killer smile. "Rosé," he calls me sweetly as he covers my hand with his own. 

"Mm?" I respond in the same sugar level tone Jungkook just did.

His eyes glues to his fingers then that was fiddling my own, and his cheeks become a pair of tomatoes when he finally bashfully says, "Thank you."

Trying to make the atmosphere just light and bubbly, I playfully reprimand him, "Why are you thanking me?  I told you I didn't do anything."

Jungkook then throws his head up (I don't think I'll get sick of his oh-so-well defined jawline and cheekbones), letting the restricted chuckles he worked so hard to endure go. 

When he has finally calmed himself, he caresses my cheek then and suavely says, "It's just a thank you Rosé, for being you, for being with me."

 

Our night continued to be candy-sweet and cheddar-cheesy, perfect in short, just like our usual regular normal dates. That until Jungkook's phone starts to light up again making me unable to hide my frown.

But still wanting to give him the chance to come out and explain it on his own when he's ready, I calm the brooding sea I am currently experiencing internally, and just tell him in a careful even-tempered manner, "Is it too much if I ask you to give me your whole attention even for just tonight?"

I guess he has followed the direction of where my eyes are looking as he takes the hint and turns his phone off.

"I don't know how important those calls and messages are, but at least when you're with me, I want to be with you too." I then bite my lower lip, stare at the amazing pair of Louboutin heels I purposely wore for tonight, and mutter, "Because honestly, it doesn't feel like we're together even if you're just inches away from me."

A puff of awkwardness spreads out once again around us which I try to disregard by eating non-stop (although to be honest, the once gourmet-suiting food tastes like fine dust now). Jungkook copies me and starts devouring his own plate too (and seems like I'm the only one having a plate of fine dust since he's guzzling his food incredibly).

 

Jungkook

 

Once both of us have emptied our plates and the only thing audible is the sound of our uncomfortable gulps. Rosé then holds both of her plump cheeks while still looking down, avoiding any possibility of eye contact with me.

She clears then and finally starts speaking, "So, uh... Uhm, uh," Rosé's eyebrows knit together as she tries to think of something to break the ice but ultimately fails.

"When you're with me, I want to be with you too... Because honestly, it doesn't feel like we're together..."

It's the first time Rosé admitted her upset feelings towards me since we got together. I've always known she was the type of girl who holds it in and tries to be okay when she isn't really. Even before Jennie's haunting words, I knew how delicate she is, how kind and selfless she is that she'll try to solve it on her own. 

So for her to be able to express her frustrations--even though she calmly said it--I must really have messed up. She must be really hurt.

. I don't want Rosé to be hurt. Should I just tell her? I'm sure she'll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter