CHAPTER 9: Festival

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook
 

"Hey can we get 3 more bottles of vodka and 5 baskets of nachos and fries?" I ask the bartender.

I arrived an hour late at BigHit Club. When I came inside, everyone was on a riot already. People were loud as if they've downed several shots already. Some were grinding on the dance floor and some were making out in the corner. One was crying at the middle of it all.

"Hey, why are you crying? It's your birthday," I cup Lisa's face and wipe her tears.

She hugs me then and I pat her back, "Jungkook! I'm just so stressed. I didn't know throwing a party is this hard to manage."

I her hair as I try to comfort her. She must be really having a difficult time trying to please everyone as a host, arranging and getting their orders alone. And she hasn't even fully adapted here in Korea.

Feeling so bad for her, I tell her, "Don't worry, I'm here already. Leave everything to me, go have fun."

And that's why I've been ordering drinks and food for the last hour without a rest. I glance at my right and see that Lisa's already tipsy. Actually, almost everyone is already under the influence of alcohol that I don't think they will need more. So I took that as an excuse to get some break.

I went out and sat on the bench near the club's window where it was dark, somewhere people will not be able to disturb me. Oh God, Rosé's starting to rub off on me.

Speaking of Rosé, I still feel so guilty lying to her and not asking her to come to Lisa's party. For some reason, I just felt uncomfortable. I know she told me I shouldn't be sorry about it because she even forgot about it, but still, I stood her up. I stood her up for a different girl, for Lisa. 

And that's what makes it weird, it's as if I'm afraid of being caught with another girl when she knows that I like Lisa. I mean I've been making it obvious as I always talk about Lisa in front of her, which I don't know why I did that. It's just she was having these expressions that I just find so adorable whenever she hears Lisa's name.

Ha. I should just get busy again so I'll be able to forget about this.

Just as I was about to stand up, I see SinB going out and welcoming the guy who just came. It's Hobi hyung.

"Oppa, why are you alone? I thought Jimin oppa was coming with you?"

He shakes his head and answers, "Well, we were at the mall buying Lisa's gift," he gestures to the wrapped box before continuing. "Then we saw Rosé at the mall while passing by the cinemas." What? But she said she forgot. 

Hobi hyung winks at SinB "So, Jimin had a change of plans."

 

Rosé

 

"Rosé," someone catches me by the shoulder right before I enter the movie theater.

I look back and see that it's, "Jimin sunbae-nim?"

"Will it be okay if I say I want to buy the other ticket and half of the snacks?" He smiles at me handsomely.

"Oh but I thought you were going to Lisa's birthday?"

"Eh, I'm not really in the mood for a party. Besides, I haven't watched this yet." When he sees me contemplating, he adds, "Don't worry, I'll zip my mouth the entire film."

I hand him the ticket and say, "Well in that case, sure, that would save me some bucks." Better have some company than getting called weirdo. He grabs the snacks from me and carries it on his own as we enter the theater.

 

"I don't get Belle. I just realized that," I tell Jimin sunbae-nim while having dinner at a fastfood chain. Sunbae and I agreed to grab some sumptuous burgers and creamy milkshakes, as the popcorn was far from being enough, after the film Beauty and the Beast.

Beauty and the Beast.

Fortunately, the movie almost didn't stray at all from the animated film because I was so distracted while watching. My mind kept lingering on Jungkook and his lie that I couldn't enjoy it.

"What do you mean?" Jimin sunbae asks.

"I mean, why would he go for Beast instead of Gaston? He's there already in front of her. He only wants her. He's ready to commit and marry her. He's even pretty and well-built. But of course, she has to go far away and love someone else."

"But I don't think Gaston really likes Belle." he take a big bite, not really looking interested on what I'm talking about.

But I don't really care so I continue still, "Oh no. I think he really likes her. He just doesn't know how to express it well. Maybe because of his image or maybe he's actually really awkward when it comes to his feelings."

Jimin sunbae just stares at me with a funny look while I still talk, "But if someone really likes you, shouldn't you be able to feel it? So I think that's Belle's problem already. She just hates Gaston so she's refusing to believe that Gaston's feelings are true. Oh my God I hate her now."

Jimin sunbae suddenly laughs boisterously that it sort of upsets me. "Jimin sunbae-nim, I didn't say anything funny. I really hate her."

"I didn't know you were this cute Rosé," Oh my God if I hear that word one more time I'm going to shoot myself. Seriously, everyone please don't ever say the word "cute" in front of me again. "Oh and please, just call me oppa."

 

The next day when the rehearsal ends, I get surprised as Jungkook suddenly confronts me, "Why did you lie to me?"

"Excuse me?" was all I could say because I was so shocked (and my heart was having a difficult time with its doubled-up speed now that I've admitted that I really like him).

"You said you were at home. But you weren't. You were at the movie house," he glares at me.

Ironic isn't it? He's being so mad that I lied to him (which I don't get why because it's not like he's the one whose time got wasted) when he's the first one to do it. 

I don't know what he's up to but I'm just going to stick to what I said on that phone call. "Yeah I was at home originally but then I decided to come watch the movie even alone because I really wanted to watch it last night."

"It was less than thirty minutes before the movie starts when I called you. How in the world did you get there on time when you haven't even taken a bath?" Oh my God he doesn't believe me. Should I confess the truth now that I really got stood up? 

But that's just so embarrassing, so I defend my lie again, "I'm really quick and I live really, really, really close to the mall."

He finally concedes when he realizes this is going nowhere and lets out a deep sigh, "We could have rescheduled and watched on another day like tonight." Oh my God why is he sulking? It's so attractive my heart is going even more unstable.

"I told you, I wanted to watch last night. Besides, I only asked you out because I didn't want to look pathetic, but I still would have been okay if I went alone." I add, "And, I didn't even watch alone. I had so much fun with Jimin oppa."

The moment I said Jimin oppa, I swear his pair of eyes darts and his nostrils flare as if he's mad or something. But why would he be mad? He isn't... jealous, is he? I mean, why would he be? But, what if... Quit it Rosé. It's never going to happen.

"Honestly, what's the big deal even if I did lie--which I did not, clearly. I mean, I got to watch the movie like I wanted, and you got to spend your night with your special girl Lisa. So, it was actually a win-win situation, right?"

After a long pause, he finally replies, "Right."

"Okay, great."

"Okay." We stare into each other's eyes for a while after that exchange.

When I feel my chest starting to hurt too much from knowing he won't look at me the way I look at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter