CHAPTER 22: Confessions

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook

 

"Hey Jungkook," Lisa happily waves at me, seated at the table where we first talked. She then looks at her watch and flashes me a confused smile, "That was fast. Anyway, so about my text...uh, I need to tell you something."

No. I can't let a three year-old promise ruin me and everyone else again. I have to stop this now.

"Lisa," I take a deep breath and bravely continue, "Let me talk first."

"...Okay," she hesitantly says as she leans back to her seat.

"Okay. Three years ago, I know I made you a promise that I would never leave you," I pause, waiting for her initial reaction to see if she's still feeling well.

When she nods, as if to say go on, with my head hanging so low, I resume my speech that should have been said a long time ago. "I did that promise because I thought I loved you. But ever since Rosé came to my life, I now know what love really is, and love is not what I felt for you."

"I thought I liked you in a romantic way. I found you the cutest being on earth; I wanted to protect you all the time; I wanted you to know I'll always have your back no matter what. But then thinking back, there was only just one person who made me furious, elated, nervous, jealous, and feel all sorts of emotions that my mind just couldn't stop thinking about her. And that's even when I'm with you."

"I know now that Rosé is the one, and she'll always be the one. You," I lift my head and stare right into her eyes in a gentle yet genuine manner, "you are always going to be like the precious little sister I never had."

It must be a huge blow to her as I see her face devoid of all emotions, and her jaw slacking wide open. So as comfort, before I really devastate her, I place my hand over hers to lessen the hurt I will inflict on her.

"I know you need someone. I know it's been hard for you ever since, how hard you tried to recover after you did those stupid things." I shake my head in disbelief as I remember the little accidents. "Good Lord, so stupid Lisa. But, I just can't. I can't do this anymore Lisa. I can't let anything between us ruin my chance of being with Rosé. I love her, so much Lisa that I can't make the same mistake over and over again."

I remove my hand from hers then while I give her an apologetic look, "I can't be by your side anymore, Lisa. This time...this time I'm choosing my happiness," I smile then at the thought of my definition of that word, "and my happiness is her."

I wait for a deafening scream, a mark-leaving slap on the face, a water slap, or just anything that will relieve her of the venom I just spat at her. Instead, I hear a boisterous laugh from the girl across me. "Why are you laughing?"

"Because ," she manages to say in the mist of her unstoppable giggling, "I know."

"What?"

"I know you love Rosé and that you love me too," her laughter slowly fading into a sweet smile, "but just as a sister."

Dumbfounded by this situation, I become speechless. She knows? Am I the only person who doesn't know about this? Nah, there's also one more person who doesn't know about my stupidity, because if she did, she wouldn't have left me.

"Aww, Lisa purrs as she sees my expression that probably shows how dumb and kind-of mad I feel right now.”I know you just poured out your honest and most sincere feelings, but if you just know what I'm going to talk about, then this is really funny."

Still feeling embarrassed about my slow realization skill, I fail to respond to her in words yet again. She probably notices it, and grimaces, "Anyway, I'm really sorry Jungkook for being selfish during that time. I must have been really deranged, holding you hostage even when I didn't deserve you and your kindness. I'm sorry about Rosé too, I didn't think about her then. All I could think about was...you know, that stupid thing."

I nod, because I know. I know how difficult it was for her back then. I understand why she was unable to make rational choices. That's why, even though Rosé and I did break up because of my promise with her, I do not regret my decision then.

"But anyway," she heavily breathes out, as if the burden on her shoulders has finally lighten up, "I actually wanted to talk to you about something I've been planning for a while now."

"What plans?" I begin to scrutinize her, "I'm sorry Lisa, but your plans are usually horrible. Please tell me or I'll be scared to death again."

"You're such a protective bro, why did I even have a miniature crush on you?"

"Lisa..." I say as I stare at the fine tarnished wooden table. Is she really okay? Or is she just pretending that she is fine? Anyway, what does she even have to talk about?

"I'm going back to my family in Thailand," my head snaps faster than the Flash from her revelation. "My family and I have been talking about it for half a year now. They were really worried because of what happened that they kept pestering me to return home ever since I have recovered."

"I was hesitant, of course. There was nothing for me left there in Thailand, except for my family literally. My friends and my work are here, so why would I go back to a place I know I'll just hear a lot of I-told-you-so?" A flashback then hits me of Lisa, telling me how her family did not approve of her decisions.

"But then almost a year ago, I got an incredible offer to become a choreographer for the most prestigious studio in Thailand that I just had to say yes immediately!" Lisa yelps in joy, earning some annoyed looks from the other customers of the cafe. But who cares? At least she's happy, finally.

"Wow that's--that's awesome Lisa," I sit closer to her and give her a warm bear hug, "Congratulations!"

"Thank you. Thank you, Jungkook," she gives me a good squeeze before releasing me. "That's why you don't have to feel sorry or be bothered about me anymore. I'm really okay now, and I'm not just saying that," she adds when she sees the doubt in my face. "And I too, want you to be happy. So go!" she points at the cafeteria door, "Go chase your girl!"

I burst into laughter at her infectious jolly mood--the mood that she originally had when I first met her, "You don't have to shout the obvious!"

When both of our laughter dies, Lisa smiles, and in a serious light tone, she speaks, "I'm going to miss you Jungkook."

"Me too."

 

Rosé

 

"Just one minute!" I yell from my bedroom as I scramble to find a much more appropriate set of clothes than my sweaty sports bra and cycling shorts.

As soon as I sport an oversized sweater and yoga pants, I run towards the front door, tripping every now and then at Mark's untidy clothes everywhere. I swear I'm going to kill this guy as soon as I see him! I told him he can live with me during his stay, but this mess is just too much!

Where is he anyway?

The doorbell continues to ring annoyingly despite my previous words, "I said one minute, and there's," I check my watch, "there's still 24 seconds!!!"

God.

People should learn how to wait. "Patience is a virtue" is not a famous quote for nothing.

When I get to the door finally, I snap it open without even bothering to check through the video camera at my door lock who this impatient person is, as I too was getting annoyed with her lack of virtues.

And, God.

I should have checked.

"Hi Rosé!" The person right before me beams. Yes, the person I don't ever want to see, flashes me the brightest beautiful smile ever (the one that reminds of you sunrise).

I gape at her and look at her from the end of each of her strands to the tips of her toenails. And back to her hair, because all I could think about is wow, her hair's a shade of Orange now (I guess he really has a thing for Orange hair).

I shake these thoughts then and can't help but notice three big suitcases at her side. Uhm, why does she have those? Surely...she's not thinking of staying in my unit, right? I mean, that wouldn't make any sense at all (besides, having Mark is already a handful, and she can just stay anyway with Jungkook and cuddle with him on that freaking couch).

When she notices that I'm staring at her luggage, she chuckles a bit, "Oh these...I'm going back home tonight. To Thailand," she adds when she sees my puzzled face.

"Uhm, okay...?" I don't mean to be rude, but, I really have no idea what to say or do right now because the two of us were never really close. Civil bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter