CHAPTER 17: Doubt

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook

 

"I heard the auditions for Jiyong saem's production is going to be tomorrow."

"Yep," I nod my head off while Rosé and I wait in line at the cinema snack kiosk. That's right, we're finally going on a movie date. And this time, nothing can stop us. We made sure to reserve our seats before coming here. In fact, the tickets are already in my jacket's pocket.

"So are you sure this is a good idea? Shouldn't you be practicing instead?" Rosé furrows her brows in a concerned look.

"Nope, if I practice a day before it, I'll just get too nervous and up the audition. So relaxing and forgetting about it for now is an important step in my method."

"Alright if that's what you say." She then faces the counter as it's our turn already, "I'd like to order nachos with extra cheese, cinnamon-flavored churros with chocolate dip, oh a medium-sized popcorn to and uh, uhm... a cup of tiramisu ice cream!" She then hands over a good amount of cash.

"Hey," I poke her cheek repetitively, "You should have at least let me pay for half of it. Also, It would have been nice if you asked me what I wanted before ordering for the both of us."

Rosé looks at me funnily before sneering at me, "I only paid for what's mine. You order and pay for your own snacks."

"You mean that's all yo--"

Rosé crosses her arms in front of her chest and an eyebrow at me, "Got a problem?"

"Nope, I like girls with big appetite," I give her an okay sign with my fingers and winks at her. I go and tell the staff what I want then and pay for it. I got pizza, nachos and a large-sized coke. Ah, I also got Rosé orange juice because she forgot to buy a drink--she got too excited about the tiramisu.

When finally our snacks are ready, Rosé picks up her share and carries as much as she could to her chest, as if hugging the oh-so-precious food of hers. I chuckle at her cuteness--I can say the word in my head right? She can't read my mind, can she?--and steals her churros to help her.

But instead of being grateful, she sends me a look of daggers and scowls, "That's mine."

"Relax," I pinch her chubby cheek and laugh, "And don't worry, I'm not going to eat your food even if you forcefully feed me later."

 

"Ah I'm so excited to watch the trailers!" Rosé whispers while munching on her popcorn making her cheeks puffy like the cutest chipmunk in the world--she is.

"Did we just pay ₩6000 each for the trailers?" I ask while suppressing my laughter.

"Yeah."

My giggly mood then shuts down hearing the seriousness in her voice. "You're kidding ri--"

"Ahh~" Rosé forcefully shoves a whole churros stick into my mouth as her attempt to shush me.

"Unberimemel," Once I finished chewing the unwelcomed food--which would be a first, I repeat in a much clearer pronunciation, "Unbelievable."

"Popcorn? Nachos? Oh but I see you have one too... Uhm, uh," Rosé steals glances on her tiramisu ice cream while pouting and contemplating so hard. She then scoops at it and places it before my lips.

I smile at her cute apologetic gesture and take her offer. It must have been such a life-and-death decision for her to share her favorite tiramisu with someone else.

The lights dim then and a series of videos starts to play on the big screen. Rosé then squirms and dances in her seat in excitement as the trailers roll in. "Happy? Joha?"

She hums in agreement and says, "Nomu joha!"

"What do you like more? Watching the trailers or me?"

"Watching the trailers," she replies without a hesitation that earns a "tch" from me. But then she quickly adds with her deadly aegyo, "With you~".

I find it so cute that I couldn't help myself from stealing a quick peck on her lips.

"Ya! Do you want us to get chased out?" She slaps me continuously at my arm before playfully whispering, "At least do it after the trailers, then we can get chased out!"

Thankfully, before I could burst out from laughing, Rosé covers my mouth to stifle it. When I have finally calmed myself, I gently remove Rosé's hand on my lips and intertwine it with mine instead.

Finally, the familiar comic strips moves in a flawless animation on the screen, indicating the start of the film. Man, I've been waiting for this installment since the first one--which is without a doubt one of the best Marvel films yet--was released three years ago.

"Are you excited?" Rosé asks.

I grin at her, "Yep!"

"Then put your Goddamn phone on silent. Let me focus on the film too, okay?" 

That's when I realize that my phone has been vibrating for quite a while now. I take my phone out and change the settings into silent until I notice something off. I currently have 13 unread messages.

 

Rosé

 

The movie is great. 

Or rather, the movie could have been great if the person next to me isn't ultra annoying, alternating between checking his phone, typing away every now and then, and asking me, "What happened? Why is this character this and that?" and other kinds of bull. 

Who the heck is he even texting when I'm literally sitting next to him?

Can't he just focus on the movie? He's the one who insisted on watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (which I wanted to but still) so why is he fixated so much on his phone?

Ugh!

This is pissing me off. He is pissing me off.

Halfway through the movie, Jungkook stands up and tells me that he'll just go to the comfort room. But as he turns his back, I see him taking out his phone again, dialing and placing it at his ear.

Are. You. Serious?

No, scratch that.

Are. You. ing. Serious?

I look at my watch, it's been ten minutes since he went out. I swear if he doesn't come back in another minute, I'm going to leave since he has probably abandoned me already anyway.

10 seconds to the deadline I made, I see Jungkook's silhouette passing through the row. Once he gets back to his seat, he immediately asks me, "What did I miss?"

"Oh you know, probably the whole movie since you seem to enjoy the screen of your phone more than the enormous silver screen in front of us," I try to act nonchalantly as I pop a popcorn into my mouth.

"Rosé--"

"Jungkook I swear I'm going home if you say another word while this movie is still on," I grit my teeth as I crush the popcorn in my hand, looking in front and not daring to take a peep at him (because I know I'll get soft once I see his despondent expression).

 

Forty minutes later, the painful movie date finally ends. Originally, Jungkook and I planned to have dinner at this restaurant that is famous for its couple-themed ambiance and menu. However, because my mood is so sour already that I don't think any dessert or food can sweeten my day, I tell Jungkook that we should call it a day instead.

"If it's not such a bother, please drive me home now."

Jungkook, after a long pause, just sighs and opens the door of the passenger seat, waiting for me to come in.

Wow.

He's not even persuading me to push through our plan or even compromising that he's going to stop attending to his phone (because he hasn't stopped using his phone, even when the movie was about to end, even when we got out of the theater).

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter