CHAPTER 1: Welcome

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook

 

I passed. I can't believe it. After trying out for so long, I finally got the in. Sure there were a lot of other theatre companies here in Korea, but only Curtain of Actors Company (CoA) mattered. Why? Because of Kwon Ji-yong seonsaeng-nim. 

Kwon Ji-yong seonsaeng-nim who is stronger than any of the Guardians of the Galaxy, more powerful than the Avengers and Justice League combined, and much more versatile than any x-gened human. To conclude, he is my ultimate hero. My hero who, arguably, has the most creative and imaginative stories, which is, arguably, the greatest skill. He's a playwright hailed as a national artist for literature. Not only that, he's the first ever Korean to have his work, That XX, picked up internationally. See? Hero goals.

So what's the connection with CoA? As one of the main founders, Kwon seonsaeng-nim continues his dedication to it by annually writing for the debut showcase of the newly accepted actors. And now that I am part of CoA, I'll get to bring his work to life for sure for whatever role. Isn't that ing amazing?

Knock, knock. My best friend Jackson then shouts from behind the door of my bedroom where I lie, still thinking about the results happily, "Hey, isn't the audition on March 11th?"

"Yep," I grin towards him.

"Isn't that," he scoffs, "today?"

Pause.

"You didn't forget today was the audition for the debut showcase, right?"

.

!

Next thing I know, Jackson laughs uncontrollably outside as he hears the loud thud in my room, which indicates my fall from the bed as I hurry to get out of my daydreaming and my pants so I could go wash up.

"I can't believe you," Jackson mocks, "after months of convincing your parents and years of trying to get in CoA, you'll miss it just like this."

" off," I say as I swing the door open walking  quickly towards the bathroom with just a towel covering my lower part.

"Is that the right thing to say to your sunbae?" which I replied with a loud bang from shutting the door. Although I hate to admit it, it's true. Jackson Wang is my senior. 

I met Jackson way back 2014 when I first tried out for CoA. I was waiting in the line, mentally practicing my audition piece, when a foreigner sat beside me while listening to loud pop music on earphones. Usually, I'd be frustrated in that situation but he was listening to Big Bang's Lies, so how could I? Anyway, to make the story short, since I was already distracted, I introduced myself to him and then we instantly clicked.

Jackson and I then, even with the results still unannounced, decided to rent an apartment near the CoA Theatre House. And of course, like a twisted drama, just after we paid a year's worth of rent, the audition results came out. Jackson passed. I didn't. Sure I was envious of him whenever I get home from a corporate job and see him drinking his organic green tea while reading the script for his debut showcase. But that didn't stop me from trying out again the next year. And the next year. And finally this year I made it. I love you 2017.

"So who are you auditioning for?" Jackson asks while munching off a french toast.

"Caleb," I reply while throwing my essentials in my lucky blue backpack.

"Isn't that the bad guy role?" to which I answered with a raise of my eyebrows. "Well that's perfect as you're naturally evil."

I sigh, "Thanks man."

"No problem," he says with his mouth full of cheese puffs, "everyone can see the obvious evil behind those bunny looks anyway. Swear," which he says while I'm already fixing my hair in the mirror primly. 

And this makes me over-think again. Maybe I should go for another role.

"Sure, about 80% of casting is about the looks and image, but dude, just blow them off with your brilliant acting skills and I'm sure you'll get it."

"Yeah whatever. If I don't get it, I'll still get to act in Kwon Ji-yong seonsaeng-nim's piece, right?"

"That's the spirit. Now off or you'll really be late."

"Thanks mom," I give him the finger before leaving.

 

I should give the finger to myself. I arrived one minute away from the cut-off; I'm sure that's not a good impression to the assistant stage managers in charge with the registration. .

I sit then at the vacant seat at the very last row next to the person who registered before me as suggested by the stage manager even though I really wanted to sit on the vacant seat at my right. I calmed myself then and wiped away my sweat, closed my eyes and began internalizing Caleb. Caleb who is not actually a bad guy in a murderous kind of way, but he's just a misunderstood mischievous underground band vocalist. But because of some unfortunate and unfair events, he eventually becomes a person who is swallowed by hatred and need for revenge. And speaking of revenge, he has--

A dangerous plan, just this time

A stranger's hand, clutched in mine

I'll take this chance, so call me blind

I've been waiting all my life...

Instantly, I lose focus and look at my right. Sure enough, it was now occupied by a woman listening and singing intently to the unfamiliar music from her headphones with her eyes closed. And yes, since her eyes are shut, I took the opportunity to look at her face. 

Okay, she's pretty, like an angel who unfortunately lost her wings. She has a slightly angular face that's filled with chubby cheeks, a cute nose, and lips that are quite plump. Not my type but she's really pretty even without make-up; I'm sure because of her undon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter