Chapter 9

For Life

"You're leaving, father?" Taekwoon asked as he and his brothers followed the King outside into the courtyard, where his carriage and men were waiting ready for him. The old man nodded sadly and turned to face his boys "Only for a few days, I'll be back before the fortnight is up." He placed warm hand on Hakyeon shoulder "Take care of your brothers, now."

The eldest prince nodded dutifully and bowed his head "Always, father."

The King smiled and turned to Taekwoon, cupping his cheek "Listen to your mother, son. Keep up the good work." Taekwoon blinked and let out a small sniff, putting his hand over his father's and pulling away. The old man smiled blearily and looked at Hongbin "Study well," he told him softly. Hongbin pursed his lips and looked down before his hair was ruffled affectionately and he glanced up with a dimpled smile "Father..."

"Don't look so down, boys," he chuckled, looking over them all "I'll be back soon, and anyway, I won't be at all bored. I have to think of what gifts I am going to get you for a start." The princes smiled weakly; gifts didn't really interest them. They hated the King had to always go away to fulfill his diplomatic duties. 

"Oh, sweetheart," the Queen sighed, coming forward and embracing her husband. She wiped her face with her handkerchief, her tears staining the white fabric, and he laughed, her face. "I'll be back," he promised, kissing her cheeks lovingly before turning and clambering into the carriage. His guards shut the door with a click and he gazed out the window, waving as the vehicle pulled away. 

"Goodbye!"

The princes all chased after the carriage up to the gate, running beside the window and calling after the King. "Goodbye, father! Goodbye!"

Wonshik watched from beside Sanghyuk and Jaehwan with the other servants posted outside the palace to bid their ruler goodbye. The King had earlier performed the small matter of handing over the run of the household and some of his duties to the Queen to take care of while he was gone. He stared as the brothers all stopped by the gates, standing breathless as they were closed in front of them. 

"Boys!" The Queen called, drawing their attention. "Come on back now!" They looked hesitant but raced back to her, Hongbin right into her waiting arms while the older two stood back slightly. Taekwoon caught Wonshik's eye briefly and the corners of his mouth twitched. Wonshik bit his lip and smiled back, causing Jaewhan to elbow him in the ribs slightly "What are you so happy about?" He muttered under his breath. 

"Nothing," Wonshik shrugged as the servants were dismissed. He glanced over his shoulder at the princes as saw they were all heading inside, Taekwoon now staring at him as he was ushered indoors. The peasant's brow creased and he drew away from his freinds, walking backwards "I've, um, got a job to do inside the palace. I'll catch up to you both later?"

Sanghyuk frowned "What job? All the gardens are out here."

"Yes, but Prince Hakyeon is thinking of installing a small pond with a fountain in the conservertory and wants me to make some measurements," Wonshik told him, fiddling with the sleeves of his shirt. "We need your help moving those slates in the greenhouse!" Jaewhan protested. But the younger man was already too far away to hear him, running towards the back entrance of the palace since servants weren't permitted to go through the front door without permission.

Jaewhan sighed in exasperation and tipped his head back "Aish, he's acting so strange lately."

"You can say that again," Sanghyuk nodded, arching an eyebrow "What do you think is wrong with him?" However, the elder shrugged at the question and puffed out his cheeks "I have absolutely no idea."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon ran into the library as fast as he could, determined to get there before anybody else did so he could have some peace and quiet before his and his brother's History lesson that afternoon- maybe if he did some extra reading, the tutor would let him go earlier. It was silly anyway, he thought, these lessons, he and his brothers were all past twenty. He picked up his pace, jogging up the spiralling marble staircase. 

When he had left his family in the foyer, he had made careful precautions to ensure he wasn't followed. He needed to be alone for a bit; or else he would end up talking to his mother while she did needle work or Hakyeon while he practiced his dancing- no matter how much he protested, Taekwoon always seemed to end up playing his female partner. It was humiliating. Hongbin wasn't so much of a problem since he was probably hiding too. He just needed to make sure his little brother didn't steal his spot. 

He pushed the heavy wooden door of the library oepn and rushed inside before closing them again. He didn't lock it though. The idea of the latch sticking and him being trapped somewhere terrified him, if he was honest. Not that he would admit that to anybody outloud. 
Loosening his tie, he began making his way to the tall mahogany bookcase, carefully climbing up the ladder near the top to retrieve the book he was after. It was one his father used to read to him: an adventure story about a man framed for a crime he never committed but rising to be powerful and getting revenge on those who wronged him. It was the classic tale of good beating evil, he thought. He kept his focus, trying to remain as quiet as possible as to not spark the attention of any passers by.

No such luck as the door burst open. He jumped and let out a cry as he almost fell backwards off the ladder. He managed to catch himself and managed to hold on with white knuckles, panting fearfully as he glanced over his shoulder. However, he couldn't see who entered as vertigo kicked in. "Ah!" He squeezed his eyes closed and took deep breaths "W- Who goes there?"

There came a small, distant chuckle "Only me, your highness." Wonshik. He breathed a sigh of relief as the peasant continued, trying and failing to hide his amusement at what he was seeing "Are you okay up there?"

"I'm fine!" Taekwoon called, trying to calm his rapid heartbeat. Wonshik laughed again and he closed the door behind him, walking slowly over to the ladder with folded arms "Are you sure?"

"Of course!"

"Come down then!"

The prince's eyes snapped open and he felt his grip tighten once more "Hey! Who are you to be ordering me around?" It was the peasant's fault, he thought to himself, if he hadn't have startled him this wouldn't have happened.

"The sooner you're down, the better," Wonshik grinned knowingly. He could see Taekwoon shaking from where he was standing. "Just climb down."

"Oh, shut up!" The prince snapped. He didn't like being rushed. He took another deep breath and looked down at his feet, willing them to move down a step. Of course, they didn't. Wonshik saw his hesitation and bit his lip "If you let go, I can catch you, if you like?" He suggested, trying to be helpful. However, it had the opposite effect. "Are you crazy?" Taekwoon hissed, still clinging on for dear life with another glance over his shoulder.

Wonshik scoffed "Hey, I caught you from a moving carriage, didn't I?"

There was a short pause.

"Shut up." Taekwoon gulped as he felt his hands getting clammier by the second "What are you doing here anyway?" He asked, trying to change the subject. But it wasn't working with Wonshik. "Your highness~"

"Fine!" The prince huffed, readying himself and scolding himself for even contemplating it. But it was clear that after his scare, he wasn't going to be able to do it on his own. "But you had better catch me, okay? Or else, I swear I am having you flogged."

Wonshik rolled his eyes "As you wish, sire. Now," he got into position with his legs shoulder width apart and arms out and up "On the count of three-"

"On three or after?"

"It doesn't matter," the peasant groaned, bracing himself "But you have to let go. If you don't, I'm going to get your brothers to get you."

Taekwoon paled a the thought of his siblings seeing him like this "Don't you dare." He didn't like this idea but he couldn't handle the shame of them seeing him this vunerable.

Wonshik smirked and steeled himself "Okay, One... two... three!"

The prince cursed under his breath and squeezed his eyes shut. "Argh!" He yelped as he leant back and felt his fingers leave the safety of the wooden ladder. He plummeted through the air,  a whistling going off in his ears before he suddenly, hit something. Wonshik grunted as the unexpectedly heavy weight of the prince swamped him, pushing him down onto his backside with Taekwoon in his arms. 

He looked down at the man, who had his eyes sealed closed "See? Wasn't so bad now, was it?"

Taekwoon grunted and pushed him away, getting to his feet shakily. He was like a baby deer on ice. "N- Nobody hears a word of this," he threatened lowly "Do you hear?" Wonshik laughed heartily but nodded in agreement; he would never live it down with Jaewhan and Sanhyuk either. He forward and ran a hand softly through the prince's mussed hair, neatening it for him. They were literally centimetres apart, noses almost touching. Taekwoon froze at the action and gulped, looking into Wonshik's eyes with shock "You've got that look in your eye again," he mumbled.

The peasant frowned in confusion "Look?"

Taekwoon nodded "You- You always look at me like you haven't seen me in years. Why?" However, he didn't get an answer, not the type he was expecting, anyway.

Wonshik pushed forward until Taekwoon's back hit the wall, assaulting his soft lips with small, wet pecks as he gripped his waist tightly, slipping his hand under his jacket. Taekwoon froze and let out a tiny squeak at the foreign feeling, eyes wide as he was forced to stand on his toes to keep from falling over. Neither of them were sure how long they stood kissing for but after a few moments, the prince allowed his eyes to slip closed. He tilted forward into Wonshik's embrace slightly and allowed the peasant to deepen the kiss, extending the time he caressed his lips for.

Taekwoon allowed his hands to move up from his sides to Wonshik's chest, his shirt before shoving him away. Wonshik almost fell to the floor with the force used. They both gasped for air for a few moments when the peasant finally straightened, watching as Taekwoon slid back down the wall and brushed a stray lock of hair from his eyes. "What was that for?" He breathed heavily, wrapping his arms protectively round himself. Shock waves were spreading throughout his entire body and his lips trembled as he fought to keep his voice steady.

Wonshik looked up and shook his head slowly "I- I'm not sure..."

 

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

For the record, bratty prince Taekwoon was such fun to write. I could do it all day XD

It's all I would need to get me through this cold Winter's night- it's -2 degrees T_T