Chapter 2

For Life

Wonshik grunted as he swung his leg over the tree branch, pulling his weight up onto it and leaning back against the trunk. It groaned loudly but took him without many other protests. He sighed and gazed at the palace, basking in the warm glow that was coming through the gigantic windows. The veranda doors, he could see, were blown open and richly dressed guests filed in. If he listened close enough, he could just hear the hum of the violins. 

Sanghyuk was right, it was hard not to be jealous of all that granduer when they and many others were out in the town starving. 

The sun had completely set by now and the fountains had lit up a brilliant pale blue, the colour of the royal emblem, spouts of water shooting up in perfect synchronisation. It was beautiful and he smiled softly. Jaewhan and Sanghyuk didn't know what they were missing staying home. Wimps, he thought with a little chuckle.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon shuffled on his feet nervously as he peered into the ballroom throught the crack in the doorway. Though he was a bit uneasy, he couldn't help but allow a small smile cross his lips as he saw all of the preparations had payed off. People were dancing gracefully across the polished floor, shoes clicking against the marble. Of course, Hakyeon led the whole routine, holding the hand of a young lady and grinning broadly. He was enjoying being the centre of attention.

Hongbin looked a little less comfortable, stood amongst a large group and trying to make three different conversations all at once. Maybe Taekwoon could go and help him... But Hakyeon said he wanted him to dance. He sighed and moved back out of the light. He hated parties. He didn't know why he was so nervous exactly. Maybe it was because he had an inkling the one he was looking for was waiting for him in there somewhere, waiting for him to claim her. 

With one final breath, he clenched his fists and made his way into the ballroom. He made sure his strides were long and confident; his head was held high. He politely bowed to the passing guests as he walked by, smiling at the young women sending flirting glances his way. But none of them seemed to catch his eye. 

In the end, after a few waltzes, he found himself a glass of champagne and sat himself down on the steps leading up to his parents' thrones. It was actually quiet peaceful until his father found him. "My son, what on earth are you doing down there?" He asked, tapping his foot on the first step with his arms folded across his chest scoldingly.

Taekwoon felt his cheeks flush and he jumped to his feet, bowing respectfully "Father!" He gasped "I was just resting is all. I will go and dance now." He made to walk away in Hakyeon's direction when the aging man stopped him, looking his son in the eye "You look flustered," he noted "Are you okay?"

"I- I'm... fine," Taekwoon lied, evading eyecontact with his father and trying to pull away. However, he was stopped again- more forcefully this time. The elder scrutinised him closely before letting him go "Get some air," he smiled gently "But make sure you're back soon; the fireworks will be starting soon." The younger man breathed a sigh of relief and nodded, giving his father a small hug.

He made his way to the doors as fast as he could without running, closing his eyes as the cool night air hit his face. Thank God.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

He walked, and walked, and walked. He didn't know where he would stop. Far away from the palace, he hoped. He needed to breathe awhile. He removed his jacket and slung it over a nearby fence, uncaring for it's quality or cost. His tie shared the same fate and he found himself undoing his top button too. He sighed contentedly and smiled to himself leaning against the giant oak tree at the edge of the grounds, eyes fluttering closed as he felt the wind blow through his hair 

gently. 

"Tough night?"

Taekwoon jumped and let out a small yelp as a husky voice sounded from above him. He looked up and saw a man perched amongst the branches, like some kind of overgrown bird. "W- What are you doing up there?" He asked wearily. The man wasn't dressed like a nobleman- he could well have been tresspassing, a thief, a murderer...

"Just admiring the view," the stranger replied, keeping his voice down as to not disturb the prince further "The fireworks are starting in a little while, right?"

"Yes," Taekwoon replied, unsure of what to do. Did he alert the guards? 

But the man didn't seem to be doing any harm there... He cleared his throat and resumed his tall posture "What is your name, sir?" The man looked at him and chuckled, swinging his legs "Sir?" he repeated with a snort "I've never been called 'sir' before. Call me Wonshik, sir."

Taekwoon smiled and bowed, knowing he should get out of there quickly just to be on the safe side. "Pleasure to meet you," he mumbled before turning on his heel "Well, be careful up there, alright? I must be getting back before the show begins. It was a pleasure meeting you, Wonshik."

The peasant watched him as he made to collect his things and bit his lip. His gaze darted back to the palace for a second. "Hey!" He called suddenly, causing the prince to turn. "Why not stay here and watch it? I've got the best seat in the house up here." Taekwoon raised an eyebrow skeptically but turned and put both hands on his hips, his jacket slung over his arm. "And how do you propose we share such a benefit?" He scoffed "That branch seems like it will break any moment."

Wonshik shrugged "We can climb higher up," he told him as though it was obvious. "Come on, I could use some company. I don't like being alone." His mouth shifted into a small pout and Taekwoon rolled his eyes. Everybody would be worried about him if he stayed... and he had promised his father he would be back in time. The fireworks were for him, after all. 

"Come on," Wonshik continued to beg "Can't you grant a poor man five minutes of your time?" Although he knew it was strange to admit, the peasant found himself desiring to be closer to the mysterious visitor. He would have asked his name but he knew the chances of being told were slim. Taekwoon huffed and frowned, thinking of all the trouble he would be in if he came back late. 

But then, it's not like he was going to find a bride at this rate anyway. He supposed Hongbin or Hakyeon were having more luck.

"Fine."

Wonshik cheered as the royal blue jacket was discarded on the grass and the man walked towards him. Taekwoon held his hand up expectantly and Wonshik looked at it blankly "What?"
"Well, I'm not going to climb on my own, am I?" The prince said, rolling his eyes. Did this idiot not know who he was?

The peasant blinked at him but gripped his hand, pulling him up beside him with some effort. The man was surprisingly light though, despite his height. He helped him scramble up a few more branches before they were both standing higher in the oak tree, getting almost a perfect view of the palace grounds. Taekwoon could see the crowds beginning to gather on the grand patio and bit his lip, gripping onto the bark behind him. 

He looked up at the starry sky in wonder. It occured to him this was his first time out in the open at night, and seeing the stars outside, instead of from his bedroom window. It gave him an odd feeling of freedom. "Pretty, isn't it?" Wonshik mumbled, also gazing upward. Taekwoon hummed in agreement and he grinned before continuing "Me and my friends always try and spot the constellations. Like that one," he squinted and pointed in the general direction of what he saw "That's the big dipper."

Taekwoon tilted his head and frowned, struggling to see it "The one that looks like a plough?"

Wonshik looked between him and the sky for a few moments, puzzled, before laughing "Yeah, I guess it does look a little like a plough."

Suddenly, a loud bang echoed around them and the grounds were illuminated by several different colours as the trumpets began to sound the royal fanfare. The sparks danced and twirled in the air before fizzling out and Taekwoon gasped, leaning forward "Amazing!" He mumbled. Wonshik nodded, flinging his hand out to grab the back of his silk shirt to prevent him losing his footing and falling out the tree. "The prince sure is lucky to get this," he said quietly "How old is he again?"

"T- Twenty five..." Taekwoon replied, blushing furiously. 

"Ah, two years older than me then," he told him "How old are you?"

"T- Twenty five..."

Wonshik's drooping eyes widened "Really? Wow. Born in the same year as one of the crowned princes, huh?"

"Mhm. You were born in the same year as Hongbin," Taekwoon's gaze was still fixed on the fireworks as the peasant spoke.

"Oh yes, I forget the youngest son is my age too."

All of a sudden, Wonshik found himself spending more time staring at the man beside him as opposed to the fireworks. He suddenly wasn't as interesed in them anymore. He tilted his head and leaned in closer, his lips nearly touching the man's soft, pale cheek; his breath warmed Taekwoon's skin and he turned quickly "What are you-"

DONG! DONG!

They immediately pulled back from each other and Taekwoon gasped, realising the time. The fireworks would be finished any minute now. "I- I have to go," he said hurriedly, leaping down onto the ground and landing on his knees heavily. He grabbed his jacket and tie, trying to fix himself up as he ran back in the direction of the palace; maybe if he got there before the show ended, he could trick his father into believing he had been there the whole time. 

Wonshik followed him and began to chase before he was forced to stop- he couldn't go into the palace. Within seconds, the young man had disappeared from sight and he felt his heart sink. "Goodbye."