Chapter 13

For Life

Wonshik frowned as he stared up at Taekwoon from the ground. He had been stood at the window for ten minutes, not leaving and gazing up at his prince. Why couldn't he get out? He blew him another kiss before looking around for some ivy or something to climb up but there was nothing; he and the others had cut it all down the day before. Typical. He sighed heavily and took a few paces backwards, coming back into Taekwoon's view. 

The prince's lips quirked slightly and he put his palm against the cool glass. Wonshik bit his lip and lifted his hands, making random shapes in the air before stopping and gazing at him expectantly. Taekwoon's frowned, confused, and tilted his head. 'What?' He mouthed. 

He narrowed his eyes and peered closer as the peasant began miming once more but, again, he couldn't make out what he was trying to say. Wonshik attempted a few more times until Taekwoon rolled his eyes. "This is pointless," he said aloud to himself, striding over to the door and hammering on it with his fist "As crowned Prince, I command you unlock this door!" He called, making his voice deliberately deeper and louder than normal. If Woobin wanted him to start acting more like an 'adult' prince, that is exactly what the lord would get. 

He raised his hand to knock again but, before he could, it was thrown open to reveal the man himself. Taekwoon scowled and turned away, clenching his fists at his sides "What is the meaning of this, Lord Woobin? I do not care how much you wish to 'protect' my brothers and I, you cannot and will not separate us from our mother. Especially when she is lying in her bed sick." He felt slightly guilty for snapping at the elder: it was the second time that week. First Hongbin and now this. Besides, he bet Hakyeon could do a better job of asserting his authority. He was good in that way. Woobin sighed and ran a hand through his pristine raven hair. "It is my job to look after you all," he told him, coming behind the prince to lay a hand on his shoulder "What the Queen is ailed with is deadly. We simply cannot allow you to catch it too. Can you imagine your father's grief if he lost both his wife and his sons?"

Taekwoon spun round at his words, eyes wide in shock. His voice cracked. "She's not-"

"Of course not," the elder shook his head "I was just stating if, Heaven forbid, that were to happen, we need to think of the toll that would take... on the King and the kingdom." 

Taekwoon looked down at the ground and bit his lip, thinking of his father. Woobin was right; if anything were to happen to them, it would tear the old man apart inside. "Y- You... My apologies, sir," he swallowed thickly, bowing slightly.
Woobin tsked and put his hand on the young man's head, running his fingers through his silky hair- it's texture hadn't seemed to change from when he was a baby.

"Now now, do not apologise, my lord," he soothed gently "Just, please, allow me to serve you to the best of my ability? I only want what is best for my princes." 
The young man nodded dutifully and stepped away, gulping thickly and linking his hands behind his back. 
"You are free to go now, your highness," Woobin told him with a slight smirk "Please, just don't try to enter your mother's room again."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Wow," Wonshik snorted as he hugged Taekwoon closer to his chest "Fifteen minutes locked in his room and he's traumatised," he joked softly. 
Both men were currently sat underneath the tree at the edge of the grounds- the place they had decided was appropriate for their meetings- while the prince told Wonshik the events of that day. "I am so worried about mother," he mumbled. The peasant almost let a coo slip out at how Taekwoon pouted when he said that.

However, in all seriousness, he pitied him and his brothers. How was it fair to separate them from her? Ill or not, they should be there. In the town, children sometimes would spend weeks nursing their parents back to health, working the fields and shops in their place until they got better. 
"I am sure she will be healed soon enough," he comforted softly. 

Taekwoon nodded and gave a small sniff, deciding to change the subject before he got upset. He sat up slightly and turned so he was nose to nose with Wonshik. "Won't your friends get suspicious?" He asked quietly. 

The peasant smiled warmly and shook his head "Nah, they never some this far out, as you can probably tell." He gestured to the long blades of grass and wild dandilions that surrounded them and Taekwoon chuckled "Well, there is no need since nobody comes this far out," he jested. Wonshik let out a small bark of laughter "Precisely," he agreed "After all, this is no place for a prince. He could meet anybody here."
"Exactly," Taekwoon's nose crinkled a little as he laughed, making the peasant's heart flutter a little. 

"This is nice," he blurted out, tensing as his eyes darted down to the other man's face, trying to gauge his reaction. However, Taekwoon's face wasn't visible forlong as he buried it in Wonshik's shirt, enjoying and relishing the earthy scent that came with it. "Yes, yes it is."
“I adore you,” the peasant smiled, pulling away and laying down next to Taekwoon. The prince blushed, resting in Wonshik's strong arms.

"Oh, shut up," he muttered as Wonshik grabbed his cloak, which had been crumpled beside them the entire time, and covered them to keep warm as they rested comfortably in each other’s arms on the grass

Wonshik was just about to close his eyes when, suddenly, a rustling came from the bushes a few feet away.

“Eh…did you hear that?” He asked, suddenly alert.

“Hm? No,” Tekwoon said, listening out but not catching anything.

“Strange,” Wonshik said, looking around for any sign of anyone. He knew that if he was caught like this with Taekwoon he could be in big trouble and would lose his job for sure, probably be arrested and probably never be able to see the prince again. It was too soon for that. For now, at least, all he wanted to do was stay right where he was. 

 

 

Aw, I love writing their cute little banter parts!!