Chapter 23

For Life

Wonshik sniffed as he dropped the pewter plates into the washbowl. He took the rag from the side and began to rinse away the dregs of the morning's porridge from the crockery. Breakfast had been silent and full of worry as they ate, hoping that, by some miracle, Sanghyuk would come home. Jaewhan had slept with Wonshik the night before, unable to settle on his own mattress, and the friends had dozed off in each others arms- like when they were children. 

The elder was currently sat on the floor with his knees drawn to his chest, staring at the door. "You can't stay there all day, Jaewhan," Wonshik sighed heavily.as he wiped his hands on the checkered rag hanging from the handle of the cupboard above the washbowl. "How about you come and help me with the dishes?" But Jaewhan ignored him and carried on staring. It was like he didn't want to move for fear that, if he did, Sanghyuk would walk in and he would miss him. They both knew that wouldn't happen though.

Wonshik hadn't seen Taekwoon since the day before and gazed out of the window longingly- they could see the whole East wing of the palace from where they were. He hoped Woobin wasn't keeping the princes in confinement again...

Knock, knock, knock.

Jaewhan let out a loud groan and stumbled to his feet, dragging his way to the door. They were expecting a new batch of bulbs to be delivered but it was barely past dawn now. "Urgh, it is too early for visitors!" He cried, before throwing the door open and scowling "What?!"

He froze when he was met with three pairs of large eyes... and a gift basket? 

The princes all stared at him, shocked by his outburst, and Hongbin gave an awkward smile. "We bought you these," he mumbled, holding up a large basket full of bread rolls and luxury jams and yellow roses. There was even a small bottle of vintage wine in there; the giftbasket was probably worth more than Wonshik and Jaewhan put together.

"Y- Your highnesses!" Jaewhan gasped, falling to his knees before them in embarrassment "I beg you, forgive my rudeness." 

Hakyeon looked down at him and tilted his head, exchanging a glance towards his brothers "Please, stand up." The peasant did as he was asked and brushed himself off as Wonshik came to the doorway. His eyes met Taewkoon's and the prince blushed a light pink, looking down at the polished leather of his boots. "Your majesties..."

"Are going to let us in?" Hakyeon asked, arching an eyebrow expectingly. 

Jaewhan and Wonshik shared a wide-eyed look of panic and parted, making a narrow walkway between them. "O- Of course."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Sanghyuk spluttered as he was dropped onto the stone cold floor of the cell, He rolled onto his back and stared up at the mossy ceiling. The walls were black and a pungent smell laced the air- it was disgusting. But, then again, this place was meant for criminals; dungeons weren't supposed to be nice. He groaned and sat up as to burly guards came forward and chained his wrists to the wall behind him. He didn't have the energy to struggle much. "What are you doing?"

"I can't be keeping you in my office, now, can I?" Woobin laughed loudly as his henchmen left their victim and came back to stand beside their master, sliding the barred door across and sealing him inside. "We were very nearly caught out yesterday- by one of the princes no less. Luckily, Taekwoon was so preoccupied, he didn't hear you. The funny thing is, he wanted me to send a search party for you." Sanghyuk's gaze snapped from the floor to the elder and Woobin cackled "Silly boy had no idea you were right under his nose."

The peasant snarled and he lunged forward in his restraints at the mention of his friend's lover. "You bastard!"

"Oh!" Woobin chuckled, arching an eybrow "Fiesty, hm? Maybe next time you'll think before spying."

"I wasn't spying!" Sanghyuk argued, feeling the hard, icy iron cuffs bite into his skin "Maybe if your stupid guards weren't bragging about your plans in broad daylight, this would never have happened!" At this, Woobin paused, his laughter ceasing. His face sobered and he pursed his lips. The younger man had a point- but that didn't change the fact he was now a liability. The lord stepped back and raised his chin. "I wonder..." He mumbled "Why were you out heading into the grounds alone? My guards only saw you; your friends were nowhere to be seen."

Sanghyuk opened his mouth to retort but closed it quickly, averting his gaze. "Come to think of it," Woobin frowned thoughtfully "Only one of them was reported to be seen in the yard at that time of the morning. Where was the other?" He glared at Sanghyuk but the peasant avoided all eye contact. He couldn't tell him what Wonshik and Taekwoon had been doing, he couldn't. He had to protect Wonshik. 

But Woobin slammed his fist on the bars, causing him to jump in fright. "Well?" He asked impatiently.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon sipped his tea tentatively as he tried to get comfortable on the ricketty, wooden chair he had been given to perch on. The liquid was tasteless and a dirty shade of watery brown but he forced himself to drink it out of politeness. Hakyeon had finished his in one foul gulp, hoping to finish it as quickly as possible, while Hongbin was glancing at it every so often, holding it to his lips sometimes but not actually drinking any. 

Wonshik was sat beside Taekwoon at the table, opposite Jaewhan who had ended up sitting beside Hakyeon. Hongbin sat between his brothers at the head. The giftbasket looked rather out of place, placed in the empty chair opposite the youngest prince. "So," Hakyeon bit his lip, trying to ease the awkwardness in the room "Your friend has been missing for a few days?"

"Yes, sire," Wonshik nodded, fighting the urge to squeeze Taekwoon's fingers under the table where nobody could see them. However, he eventually clenched his fists in his lap, deciding not to and just try to ignore him as best as possible.

But it was so hard.

The prince sat there, listening intently, blinking every few seconds and occasionally flicking his dark hair from his eyes. It was impossible not to want to stare or touch him. He desperately wanted to distrupt that stoic expression; he wanted to make him smile. But now was not the time- not with his brothers around. "And you are sure he had nobody he might have gone to see?" Hongbin questioned with genuine concern.

"Nobody, my prince," Jaewhan told him "We have only ever had each other. We had no ties in the town." He was starting to get a little sick of telling people that. 

"I suggested to Lord Woobin that maybe those bandits came looking for revenge," Taekwoon explained, setting his mug down "He seemed to think it was farfetched though..."

Wonshik looked at him sadly "He won't help, will he?"

The prince turned to him and shook his head "That doesn't mean that we will not. I promised I would help find Sanghyuk and I will." Wonshik smiled weakly but, before he could reply, Jaewhan frowned "When was this said?" He asked "Is that why they are here?"

"Taekwoonie?" Hakyeon tilted his head "You promised?" 

"When?" Hongbin repeated.

Wonshik and Taekwoon looked at each other with wide eyes, the peasant panicking. How was he supposed to respond? Luckily, Taekwoon was faster on his feet and cleared his throat "I bumped into him when riding yesterday. He told me then."

Good work, love, Wonshik cheered in his mind. 

He put his hand on the prince's knee briefly and Taekwoon felt the corners of his mouth twinge slightly. 

"But," Hongbin bit his lip "Lord Woobin has restricted our use of the horses, hasn't he?"

"Um, we had better be going, hadn't we?" The elder prince adressed Hakyeon "We don't want to be late for breakfast."

But nobody moved. 

"And why were you in the paddock?" Jaewhan questioned Wonshik. The younger man paused and looked down at his lap. Oh God. His mind was racing as he desperately wracked his brain for a decent reply. He could feel eyes burning into him and slumped down into his seat, attempting a casual shrug. But words failed him "I- I...."

 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh snap!