Chapter 8

For Life

Wonshik watched in amazement as Taekwoon sparred with his trainer. He knew from supper the other night that the second prince was good with a sword, however had he never would have believed he was this good. Considering the trouble he and his brothers had gotten into in the forest.

As he watched, he wondered how fun it would be to fight Taekwoon. He himself was one of the best in the town; he had been since he was fifteen. He hoped that while he was a servant, that his sword skills wouldn’t diminish. He looked around, spotting many guards watching in awe as Taekwoon trained. When he had arrived, there were only four guards dotted around the area, now there must've be almost thirty or so standing around the field. Any servants that even neared the centre got searched and patted down. He wondered if it had anything to do with the bandits. 

"Back to work," one of the men loitering at the side ordered gruffly, causing him to jump and get back to planting the bulbs he had been given that morning, letting out a loud yawn. He hadn't gotten much sleep last night. However, he kept snatching small sideward glances at the duel. Taekwoon stabbed and dodged, not once losing rythm or elegance no matter how vicious his attacks became. Eventually, his trainer stopped and held up his hands in surrender "Let's take a break, my lord."

Taekwoon looked disapointed but nodded, handing his sword to a waiting servant and running a hand through his hair. The prince sighed and looked around the yard- he didn't appreciate the audience that had gathered. He knew they were only trying to be nice and support him but it was embarrassing, if he was honest. And anyway, didn't they all have work to be doing? 

“Ah! Taekwoonie, you were splendid! You’re so talented!” Hakyeon smiled brightly, wrapping his younger brother in a tight hug. "If you don't become king, you will definitely become chief general!"
Taekwoon nodded, pushing against the elder to be released. His head lowered so his chin touched his chest as he fisted his hands “And yet I did nothing but act like a scared little boy," he muttered bitterly. 

Hakyeon's face dropped and his eyebrows knitted together "Is that why you've been so tense the past couple of days?" The younger man didn't answer and he sighed sadly "Taekwoon, please, don't blame yourself. I can't stand to see you so upset." 

"You were almost killed!" Taekwoon argued, eyes wide and shining "And can you imagine what they would have done to Hongbin if Wonshik and the others hadn't been there?" He couldn't bare to think of what they'd had planned for his little brother while they waited for the ransom they wanted.

Wonshik's head snapped up at the mention of his name and he looked at the princes as they talked, Hakyeon trying to get through to Taekwoon. "Taekwoonie!" He groaned "Please, we were surprised! By the time we knew what was happening, it was too late." Of course, he was upset too but that wasn't going to change what happened. It was over and he doubted it would ever happen again.

"Then it's my duty to be prepared," Taekwoon replied, throwing his sword to the ground and stalking off. The eldest prince made to go after him but caught himself and stayed where he was- Taekwoon would only run faster if he knew he was following him. He sighed exasperatedly and tipped his head back "Ah, Taekwoonie..." Meanwhile, Wonshik watched from afar, chewing on his lip at the scene. He felt bad for Hakyeon- he was only trying to help. But, clearly, Taekwoon needed a little more than praise to keep his spirits up. 

Hakyeon caught sight of his staring and he flinched, ready to be scolded again for not working. But that's not what happened. Instead, the eldest prince cocked his head in the direction Taekwoon had run to and mouthed 'Go'.

The peasant frowned in confusion for a moment but didn't argue, getting to his feet and bolting off.

Hakyeon watched as Wonshik disappeared. He hoped it was a good idea to send him. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

2 Nights Earlier, After Dinner

 

"Those men seem really nice," Hongbin grinned widely as his eldest brother escorted him to his room, arm wrapped lovingly round his shoulders as they walked. Hakyeon hummed in agreement "Did you see the way the one looked at Taekwoon?"

"Wonshik?" Hongbin raised his eyebrows. He thought for a moment "With... glee, I felt. He seemed to bring out brother's playful side tonight, wouldn't you agree?" He missed the times Taekwoon used to smile and play around all the time. He hadn't been like that since they were children- that he had seen, anyway. "Yes," Hakyeon said "But there was something else there too. It was a sort of... affection, like they'd met before."

The younger man snorted and shook his head "Taekwoon said, they had, briefly. I wouldn't say that constitutes affection, brother." 

"I don't know, I could have sworn I saw something though."

Hakyeon looked down and Hongbin's face sobered "You do know what you're accusing them of?"

There was a pause. "Yes."

"Then stop," Hongbin frowned pulling away as they reached his bedchamber door "Or else you'll get them both into trouble over nothing."

Hakyeon sighed and rubbed his eyes "You're right, I guess I am just tired from today." He kissed the top of his brother's head and made his way to his room, still thinking about Taekwoon and Wonshik's actions towards each other that night. The way Wonshik seemed to so relaxed around him, the way Taekwoon let him be... It was odd, very odd indeed. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

When Wonshik found Taekwoon, the prince was scowling and angrily hitting the tree trunk with his fist, muttering fierce words under his breath. Wonshik didn't know how he knew he would come here- it was far away from the training grounds, sure. But there was something else too. He kept his distance for a few moments, allowing Taekwoon to let out all his pent up frustrations. 

Eventually, when he had clamed down slightly and rested his forehead against the tree, Wonshik pursed his lips. "Tough day?" 

Taekwoon let out a yelp as he jumped, spinning round "Oh," he said, face relaxing slightly "It's you..."

"Sorry to disapoint, sire," Wonshik chuckled.

"W- What are you doing here?" The prince asked looking away with an embarrassed blush. He was sure nobody would have followed him all this way. Wonshik smiled and shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets "Honest answer?"

Taekwoon nodded.

"Your big brother sent me," he admitted sheepishly "He's really worried, you know." Taekwoon groaned and pressed his forehead against the tree again as Wonshik neared him "He's just like mother," he mumbled dejectedly. Wonshik would have laughed if the man didn't look so upset, he pursed his lips thoughtfully before an idea popped into his mind. "You need tor relax, your highness," he told him softly "Stop being so hard on yourself."

Taekwoon couldn't help but let out a bitter laugh "Easy for a peasant to say."

Wonshik couldn't pretend that comment didn't hurt him a bit but he understood why the prince might say such a thing- people who thought royalty just sat around all day were idiots. It seemed the brothers spent all their days in lessons, be it for etiqettue or archery. As for the Queen, she spent all day seeing guests and answering letters and pleas sent by the people and the King... Well, he spent nearly all day cooped up in his office. Mealtimes were usually the only times they were all together. Wonshik wondered if this was what it had always been like. He knew nobles had nannies raise the children. Had the brothers had the same? But, they seemed to close with their parents... "It isn't that hard, you know," he told the prince, earning a look of disbelief and skeptisism.

He stepped forward and reached up to the first tree branch, pulling himself up and getting a foothold. He then sat on the branch and held a hand down to Taekwoon "Sometimes you just need some headspace."

Taekwoon looked up at him in shock but couldn't stop a smile drifting across his lips at memories of the ball "With the best seat in the house?" He asked softly. Wonshik grinned and nodded "Exactly." He wiggled his fingers, prompting the prince to grab it, and he did "A prince can't be expected to climb by himself though now, can he?" He helped him scramble up a few more branches before they were both standing higher in the oak tree, getting almost a perfect view of the palace grounds and Taekwoon grinned "I forgot how nice it was up here," he breathed "It's different in daylight." He missed the stars. 

Wonshik smiled and looked at him softly. The other man already looked more calm than he previously had. "Sometimes, you need to see things from a different angle, I suppose," he mumbled, only half to Taekwoon.

But the prince turned to him and nodded "Yes," he agreed "Sometimes you forget to appreciate what's actually there." The peasant hummed in agreement before reaching out tentatively, seeing a speck of dirt on Taekwoon's face. "L- Let me get that," he muttered. The prince froze as the calloused yet gentle fingers brushed against his cheek, rubbing whatever it was off for him. "Tha- Thank you." 

"No problem," Wonshik smiled before turning back to look at the view. 

Taekwoon watched him with wide eyes for a few moments. "Why are you doing this?" He whined quietly.

"What, my lord?"

“Jus- Just stop, please. You’re making me feel strange and… and weak...” Taekwoon admitted as he bit his lip. 

At first, Wonshik panicked that he was going to fall out of the tree with his cracking voice and flushed face- it was hot that day. But then he registered what had just been said. "Is that why you were so cold towards me yesterday?"

Taekwoon looked confused "Cold? I was acting normally. You are the one who was spying on me, if I recall." Wonshik gaped at him and put a hand to his chest dramatically, deciding to joke around a bit more to keep Taekwoon's mind off the pressure he was putting on himself "I was doing no such thing, your highness."

"Oh really?" The prince retorted sarcastically, rolling his eyes. They both burst into a fit of giggles and Wonshik had to grip Taekwoon's waist in fear he would fall again. The prince smiled and gazed up at him through his eyelashes as he held onto the treetrunk for extra support "I wish we could do this more often," he muttered sadly. Wonshik nodded when a thought hit him. He lifted the other man's chin gently and grinned "Maybe we can?" 

 

Cuties <3

Also have you heard Hyukie's song?!?!?! It is sooooo pretty! I had it on a loop while writing this chapter. I am so proud of our baby ^^

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you liked it!

tumblr_ogy5q2XQOL1ql9awgo2_540.gif