Chapter 17

For Life

"Urgh, this is the worst," Sanghyuk groaned as he and the others helped other servants lug sacks of Woobin's possessions up the stairs to one of the more central, grand bedrooms of the palace. He stopped for a moment to wipe his forehead free of the sheen of sweat beginning to settle there. But he was soon ushered forwards by Jaewhan. "The sooner the King is back to normal, the better," he mumbled. The younger man nodded in agreement. Since the King found out about his wife's death, three days ago, he had been shut away in his room. He hadn't seen anybody and had given Lord Woobin the task of taking care of his sons. What worried Wonshik most was the fact that the primary thing that job entailed was finding at least one of them a wife. Luckily, that was no easy feat for anybody: either they were politically unsuitable or the princes simply rejected them. Apparently Hakyeon's rejection count totalled at thirty seven, Taekwoon was at twenty eight and Hongbin (arguably the most popular despite his young age) had rejected forty. Although, Wonshik was sure some of these were down to the overprotective, late Queen. 

His friends had kept their word and hadn't told a soul about him and Taekwoon- he expected no different from them. They were all loyal to each other; dare he say, just as close as the three royal brothers were. 

He grunted as he entered the chamber, throwing his bag on the pile lying in the corner of the room, and rested his hands on his hips. He looked up at the ceiling with a sigh, just hoping Woobin wasn't working the princes too hard in their studies.

"Hey," a gruff voice called, causing all the staff to turn. Wonshik bit back a laugh as Jaewhan almost jumped out of his skin at the sudden sound. "You can all go now. Get back you your usual duties, quick time!"

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Woobin narrowed his eyes at his students; they were each sat in their small thrones, lined up beside their father's, talking casually together. Well, Hongbin and Hakyeon talked, Taekwoon, as always, preferred to listen. "How are you feeling about the prospect of possibly becoming King, my dear fellows?" They all stopped and looked down, not really wanting to think about it. It wasn't a subject they usually discussed between them unless the King himself brought it up. Woobin scowled "It is rude not to look somebody in the eye when they are speaking to you!" He said sharply, his tone shocking the princes slightly. 

"I am sorry, Lord Woobin," Hakyeon dipped his head respectfully "It is still very new to us. I fear we are just nervous."

"You should be. Do you have any idea what challenges will face the future monarch, boy?" The lord snapped, clenching his fists behind his back. "He will have many duties to perfom as King: preventing or initiating wars, looking after the many peasants, diplomacy, politics, economic business, having an heir, allying with other kingdoms. You know all about this, I know you do. You need to take it more seriously."

Hongbin swallowed hard and ran his tongue along his bottom lip "I apologise, sir," he mumbled "We had no idea it would be so much work.We... I still have a lot to learn. But I will improve. Our tutors taught us well. We just need to listen better to make sure we are all prepared when the time comes-"

"Never balme yourself!" Woobin scowled, stoming forward towards them. They all fought to stay tall and not shrink under his harsh, scolding gaze, "If anybody is to blame it is your tutors! I think I will have to get rid of them and teach you myself, since is the only way I can make sure you are learning correctly."  

For the first time, Taekwoon's eyes snapped up from his lap. Force their tutors to resign? "But... you do not play an instrument or have much literary knowledge," he reasoned quietly "Who will teach us that?"

"Useless lessons such as music, dance; literature will be no longer taught to you," Woobin waved him off, beginning to pace the width of the large room "Nor will politics and diplomatic matters- we will focus primarily on economics and warfare from now on. Yes, I think that will be suitable." 

"Y- You cannot do that!" Hakyeon cried, standing from his chair with his eyes widening in horror at the suggestion. He looked at Woobin with pleading eyes but the man was unfazed and continued to pace "I can do as I wish- you aren't going to find wives by playing the piano or reading silly fairytales," he snorted as if the mere prospect of young men learning such a thing was incomprihensible to him. "Also, Prince Taekwoon, I want you to stop practising your riding and swordsmanship so much. It is very unlikely that you will ever carry a blade into battle. You should leave that to the military."

Taekwoon couldn't help but scowl and his fingers curled around the arms of his throne. "But what about if I do not take the-"

"Irrelevant."

The princes all blinked in shock and exchanged a worried look. How was Taekwoon going to take over the army in the event of not becoming king if he couldn't fight? He had assumed Hakyeon would succeed their father anyway; he was the perfect prince and everybody knew it.  

"Now," Woobin cleared his throat "Run along. I will see you all at dinner- Taekwoon won't be late this time, will you?"

"No, sir," the prince mumbled, his face reddening with embarrassment. Why did he have to be reminded? He hadn't meant to lose track of time. He didn't hesitate to leave the room as quickly as possible, running up the staircase away from the throne room. 

Somehow, he ended up outside his father's door. He paused, biting his lip before knocking hesitantly "Father?" There came no reply. Not that he expected one after days of silence. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Father?" I call out. The fog around me just offers up emptiness. I reach forward, feeling cold droplets bead on my arm. Then there's something cool. Solid. I wave my hand around, driving away the mist.
And then I see it.
A mirror.

"Hakyeon? Binnie?"

I walk tentatively closer and near the mirror, not seeing my brothers or my father. I grin widely and run up to it. "Wonshik!" But he doesn't answer me. I pout and turn around, looking around for any sign of life around me. But the room is just a white void. 

I feel a gentle hand on my arm and jump. I turn and end up staring into a pair of sweet, almond eyes. My anxiety slips away instantly "Wonshik?" He smiles and brushes a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"I've missed you," he grins cheekily, his voice sounding slightly washed out and distant. But I don't care. I hold his hand tenderly and go to take a step away from the mirror.

However, before I can move even an inch, I feel Wonshik's weight suddenly double and my arm is yanked back. I yelp and spin round, eyes widening. "No!" I scream as I see him being pulled back into the mirror, dragging me with him as he kicks and flails. 

I scream as I try desperately to grab him back but it's no use. No matter how much we struggle he keeps getting further away, eventually letting go of my hand. My fingers claw at thin air as, suddenly, something is holding me back from going any further. Hands. They are erupting from the ground and wrapping round my ankles. "Ah!"

Wonshik opens his mouth to say something bu no sound comes out, a silent, desperate scream.

 I watch, helplessly, as he disappears into the glass "No..."

 

Fun Fact: I have had this dream once too and it is sort of featured in Undeniable when Taekwoon has his nightmare about JongKook *_*