Chapter 1

For Life

 

The moonlight streaming in through the large window bathed the room in a silver glow, glinting off the polished antique  furniture. Before long it would be dawn and the silver would fade to orange. The thick, heavy red curtains perched either end of the windowsill, creating two shadowy pillars either side of the large bed that sat in the on the far right of the room. 

Taekwoon stirred in his sleep, shifting onto his back. He let out a small, unconscious moan as he felt something move in the chamber but it wasn't enough to draw him from his slumber. He didn't notice the shadows looming over him. 

Suddenly, his shoulder was grabbed roughly and he started awake, eyes wide. He went to cry out but a large hand clasped over his mouth. "Ssh, your highness," a voice whispered gently "You must come with us now." Taekwoon kicked out violently and let out a muffled scream as multiple hands grasped his arms and wrestled him off the bed. 

He was shoved out the room as he bucked and struggled, trying to free himself or at least alert somebody of what was happening. But it was no use. He could tell it was at least two against one and he had no weapon to fend them off with. 

They yanked him in the direction of his eldest brother's room and he felt a new panic rise within him. Were they going to take Hakyeon too? He tried to scream again, louder this time, and intensified his attempts at escape. They wouldn't get Hakyeon or Hongbin; that he was sure of. His attackers were struggling to hold him now and when he bit the hand over his mouth, they threw him to the ground at the foot of his brother's bed. 

Taekwoon grunted as he hit the floor. His head snapped up to see Hakyeon's bed- it was empty...
He turned round and got to his knees "What have you-"

"SURPRISE!"

The lights flickered on and he jumped, scrambling back in shock. His eyes went as wide as dinner plates when he saw who was standing there and he jumped to his feet "What the Hell do you think you are doing?"

"Surprise...?" He looked fiercely into the eyes of his youngest brother, who stood beside Hakyeon holding a small cake with one candle sticking out of it. It was obviously something they'd had the cook whip up last night; bright blue icing with white buttercream swirls. Hakyeon grinned and bounded forwards, slinging an arm round Taekwoon's shoulders "Happy birthday!" He sung. He pulled his brother over to Hongbin "Make a wish!" Taekwoon groaned and tried to pull away as he caught a glimpse of the grandfather clock in the corner "It's five o'clock in the morning."

"Oh, brother," Hongbin rolled his eyes "Hush up and blow." He held the cake up closer and the elder sighed, closing his eyes and puffing out the small flame. His brothers applauded and gave a small cheer. "What did you wish for?" Hakyeon asked excitedly. 
Taekwoon chuckled and shook his head "It won't come true if I tell you," he mumbled. Hakyeon pouted and shook his head, hanging off his arm 

"Don't be superstitious!" He whined. Hongbin laughed and put the cake down, enveloping both of his brothers in a warm bear hug. He felt Taekwoon tense for the first few seconds but soon, he allowed his little brother to hug him without any resistance. Although he didn't often show it, Taekwoon did love how close he and his siblings were. He knew many royal families with sons who despised each other. 

He supposed he should hate Hakyeon and Hongbin too. After all, they were threats to his accession to the throne. But he just couldn't, and he knew they felt the same way. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Wonshik rolled over as he heard the rooster crow. He was not a morning person.

“I know you’re awake,” Sanghyuk chuckled at his friend, who then turned his face into the pillow and groaned loudly.
“No- you have no evidence to support that,” he pouted as rolled over pulling the covers over his head.
The younger man laughed “Five more minutes beofre I send Jaewhan up here,” he said then got up and got changed “I’m going down to get some breakfast.”
Wonshik pouted and sat up “Ugh, why did the sun have to come up now?” he whined, getting out of bed and getting dressed.

Lumbering down the stairs, he rubbed his eyes and let out a loud yawn "Morning." He sat down at the table where Jaewhan and Sanghyuk were already eating, tucking into their rye bread and mixed berries. It was the same thing every morning. 
"Sleep well?" Jaewhan smiled knowingly through a mouthful of food.
"He kept kicking me!" Sanghyuk complained loudly, glaring at Wonshik "All night, he was restless."

The man in question rolled his eyes and started eating, the ricketty chair creaking loudly under his weight. His eyes wandered to the window and he gazed out at the outside world.
The lodge itself was situated near the very top of the building, having a clear view of the unkempt courtyard below. Like the rest of the building it was weather beaten and an eyesore. But the group had the comfort of a little security, close proximity to the market- all for eighty gold pieces a month. Collectively that wasn't bad especially in the mid-district. 

"Urgh, what is this life?" He grumbled, looking up at the ceiling. Jaewhan smiled at his new found frustration, finishing his food and moving to sit on the windowsill "We're coping," he reminded the younger man.

"But we're still hungry!" Sanghyuk argued, lying his upper body flat on the table. 

Jaewhan rolled his eyes "Just think rich thoughts," he sighed.

"Oh yeah, I bet our princes are more than comfortabIe up there in the palace."

Wonshik shifted uncomfortably in his seat and shared a glance with Jaewhan; statements like that were almost treasonous. Sensing his slight anxiety, Sanghyuk sat up and sighed "Sorry, I'm just tired and overworked, okay?"

"It's just the way it is" Jaewhan snapped, clearly tired of talking about it "There's a large population and not enough food to go around, I suppose, and the King needs taxes for building more houses and funding defences." Wonshik nodded in agreement before picking up a book from the table beside him, opening it and beginning to scan over the first page. Sanghyuk peered over at the old, brown pages "Where did you get that?" 

Wonshik raised his eyebrows slightly "The bookshop..."

"No ," he answered, rolling his eyes "It hasn't been stamped is what I mean." Both he and Jaewhan glared at the man and he sighed "I got it from the trash pile outside the store," he admitted "They were throwing out perfectly good books and it was a waste."

Jaewhan groaned, burying his head in his hands "Really, Wonshik?" 
"Yes really" He huffed, tracing one of the many graffiti doodles on the front cover "It's not like I can afford to buy a new copy, is it?"

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Goodness... My son looks so handsome!" The Queen gasped from the doorway as she stared at Taekwoon in the gigantic wall mirror hanging up opposite his bed. One of the royal dressmakers fussed over him, tightening his golden buttons and straightening out the royal blue jacket of his uniform, the tails coming to the back of his knees. "I bet all the girls at the ball with think so too," the dressmaker smiled as the Queen came and stood beside him, admiring his good work. 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to his reflection, fixing his hair neatly. He really didn't want to remember what this ball was really about- his birthday was a good excuse but they all knew the real reason. 

"Don't worry, I've invited many other royals and nobles. All you boys sure to find somebody."

He chuckled and turned round, grasping her hands gently "That's not the point, mother. Only one of us need to, remember?"

"Oh, hush up, I want at least fifteen grandchildren to keep my company in my old age!" She cried, playfully swatting his bicep with her fan. She then kissed his cheek and left the room "I must go and see to it that your father is ready. You know what he's like."

Taekwoon smiled softly as he watched her glide gracefully off down the hallway, shaking his head. The dressmaker resumed in fixing his clothes before a knock sounded at the door.

"Enter!" He called out.

It swung open to reveal Hongbin, wearing his own uniform "Are you ready, brother?" He asked eyes wide and sparkling with hidden excitement. He tried to keep a composed demeanor like Taekwoon but he loved the balls his family held. Not as much as Hakyeon but the thought of music and the dancing almost made his heart skip a beat. 

"Almost, Hongbin," Taekwoon told him, raising a hand to stop the dressmaker's fiddling fingers "Where is Hakyeon?"

"Where do you think?" The younger man chuckled, showing off his dimples. Taekwoon always found himself envying his little brother's looks, despite Hongbin saying he hated being judged on them. But it was hard not to admit he was all too easy on the eye... Taekwoon had no chance at the ball with him around, he was sure. "Making sure everything is perfect downstairs, of course." 

Taekwoon scoffed and began his long strides out of the room, followed closely by Hongbin "He's worse than mother."

 

I have NO discipline with these things, do I? I know I said this wouldn't be posted until after Undeniable was done but I couldn't help myself. I had to keep myself occupied at my aunt's 70th birthday party somehow (the worst 4 hours of my life, by the way). I really didn't want to hear my extended family's comments about me- they're too embarrassing. So, I wrote this for you, angels!