Chapter 15

For Life

"Good evening, Lord Woobin," Hakyeon bowed as he entered the dining room. All the candles were lit and the thick, red velvet draperies were drawn to a close. The bell could be heard ringing outside. The Lord was sat at the head of the table- where the King would usually sit- and smiled at him warmly. "Good evening, your highness." The young man grinned and sat in his usual seat, pulling in his chair as somebody else entered. "Hello, Prince Hongbin," Woobin greeted, nodding courteously. Hongbin smiled politely and scampered across to his chair, which Hakyeon had already pulled out for him.

Thay sat in sience for a few moments, staring down at their plates before Woobin cleared his throat, placing his palms on the mahogany surface of the table. "Where is Prince Taekwoon?" He asked evenly. The two brothers exchanged a sidewards glace at the question, eyes flickering to the empty seat beside Hongbin. Hakyeon gave a small shrug "I- I don't-"

He was cut off as the door was flung open.

"I am sorry I am late," Taekwoon mumbled, keeping his head down as he rushed over to the table, sitting hurriedly down next Hongbin. The younger man looked at him with wide, warning eyes. He knew better than to be late for dinner; especialy when Woobin was present. "Your highness," the lord forced a smile despite the clear upset in his tone "Why are you so late?"

The prince's head snapped up and Hakyeon frowned, his thumb and reaching across Hongbin "You have dirt on your face." He wrinkled his nose in disgust as he removed the impurity from his brother's skin. "And on your sleeve," Hongbin frowned, lifting his older brother's arm to reveal a muddy brown patch on his elbow. "I- I was out riding," Taekwoon bit his lip,eyes shifting downwards once more. 

"You need to keep better track of your time then, don't you?" Woobin scolded firmly. Taekwoon nodded. He ran his fingers along his lips lightly, praying none of them noticed how swollen they were- he didn't know how he could cover that up. He couldn't exactly say he had been kissing his horse, could he? He supposed that was another thing he would need tot alk to Wonshik about. Not that he didn't like kissing him. It was more the realisation that he would never be able to do it again if they were caught, as pathetic as it may have sounded. 

Several long minutes later, their meals were put in front of them and Woobin cleared his throat as he dipped his spoon into his soup. "Your father will be home tomorrow morning." The princes all froze and looked up from their bowls, unsure if they had heard him right.

"Really?" Hakyeon asked.

Woobin nodded "Hm," he took a bite of one of the warm bread rolls in the dish in the centre of the table "Naturally, he cannot be apart from his wife and children when the Queen is so violently ill- she has slept most of the afternoon."

The young men exchanged excited glances at the thought of the King returning back to them. Although he had only been gone for a few days, it felt like a lifetime. "Come along and eat up quickly then," the lord coaxed "I believe an early night is in order so you can be ready upon his arrival in the morning."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

 

"Start. Talking!"

Wonshik flinched as small darts of spittle hit his face. Jaewhan looked livid. His chocolate brown eyes were wide and his teeth were clenched. He tightened his grip and Wonshik tried to kick out. "Get off me, you lunatic!"

"What the Hell were you thinking?!" Jaewhan screamed back, his nails digging into the younger man's wrists unintentionally. "Do you know how much of a pain in the it's going to be to cover up you having a love affair with the damn prince of all people?!" He shook Wonshik and the young man stopped his struggling gasping for breath and face pale.

He threw Jaewhan off him and rolled away, propping himself up on one elbow to steady himself "H- How did you know?" 

"Y- You weren't exactly quiet earlier..." 

Wonshik's gaze flickered to Sanghyuk, who stood back, looking a little guilty. "I saw you under the tree at the edge of the grounds," the younger man admitted. Wonshik's eyes went even wider in shock at his statement; he was sure they were safe. Clearly not. "And now we have to get mixed up in this and make sure your doesn't get thrown in the dungeon- or worse!" Jaewhan yelled. 

"You're... not going to turn me in?" Wonshik asked as he got to his feet, wincing at the small pain in his wrists left by his friend.

Sanghyuk couldn't help but chuckle "What do you take us for?"

"You're an idiot," Jaewhan huffed and folded his arms "A complete idiot, Wonshik."

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Taekwoon opened his eyes, gasping as he heard a loud scream. He knew that voice; Hongbin.
“H- Hongbin?” He yelled out, throwing his duvet off his body and running to the doors. He flung them open and rushed out into the hallway, not caring that he was still in his white, silk nightgown. Hakyeon was also out there, darting towards the staircase as fast as he could. What was Hongbin doing downstairs?

He hurried behind his older brother down the flights of stairs from his room. He could hear yelling, crying, and when he got to the main floor his heart stopped.
“N-no! Mother!” Hongbin's voice hit Taekwoon’s ears.
“M- Mother?” He whimpered before breaking into a run dropping to his knees as he reached his brother's side. 

There his mother was. She was lying on her stomach, head twisted to the side and eyes wide open. 

"Mother!" Hakyeon screamed, taking her shoulder and shaking her "Help! Help! No, oh gods, no..."

Hongbin let out a sob "Brother... M- Mother is hurt." He cried, clearly quivering in fear and shock as he stared at the Queen. "She's hurt." 

"I know, Hongbin, I know..." The elder whispered, tears rolling down his cheeks and onto his nightclothes. Taekwoon looked away and bit his trembling lip, sniffing loudly. He tried not to let his own tears fall as he gazed upward at the balcony at the top of the stairs. She must have fallen over the railing... but how? He looked back down to see his brothers turn the Queen onto her back slowly, gingerly, and watched as Hakyeon closed her eyes. 

"I don't understand," he muttered, glancing up at the railing again "How?"

Niether of his brothers answered as Hongbin collapsed into a sobbing heap onto their mother's body. "I- It's not fair," he cried "Father was coming home- she was going to get better!" Hakyeon held him tightly, rocking his back and forth like he used to when they were little to comfort him but he knew it wouldn't work this time. He was equally as devestated, his tears soaking his little brother's hair.

Taekwoon's eyes were stinging as a number of guards came running in, led by Woobin carrying a lantern. "Oh my God!" He choked, pressing a hand to his mouth as he took in the scene. "W- What in the blazers happened here?" He blinked rapidly before turning urgently to the guards "Go and check her room, now!"

He fell to his knees beside the three younger men, shaking hands ghosting over the body of the Queen. He squeezed his eyes closed and took a shaky breath "Good lord..." Woobin took a moment to compose himself as best he could before turning to the guards left "Th- The King will be here in a few hours; we must," he gulped "Make for his arrival."

Taekwoon watched with glassy eyes as the elder stood, clenching his fists at his sides as he addressed the remaining guards "Please... the princes back to their chambers- put them all in Prince Hakyeon's apartments- they don't need to be around such horrror any longer. Call for some water to be taken to them and then send for the royal coroner."

The guards all nodded and obediently came forward. However their faces were soft as they took the brothers' arms to lead them away. But, just like the last time, they weren't going easily. Bodies wracking with violent sobs, they struggled and fought to get back to their mother. But it was no use. Taekwoon just had one question at the forefront of his mind: how were they going to tell their father?

 

I am sorry for 2 things:

1) Sorry I killed the Queen off T_T   I didn't want to but it had to happen.

2) Sorry I didn't update last night. I went to see the orchestra with my Grandfather. It was all music written by John Williams, who wrote the themes for Jaws, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Superman... Just to name a few. It was really fun though :)

I hope you are all well and life is good for you, wherever you may be,

Have a good day or night x