Chapter 16

For Life

Wonshik's eyes were cloudy as he stood outside the palace waiting for the King's arrival. He held his hands tightly behind his back and chewed on his bottom lip. The whole royal household had been devestated by the Queen's death. That morning, he had almost been knocked flat on his back by Taekwoon, who had run from the palace into the greenhouse in tears. It was clear he'd been holding it in for a long time- his eyes looked unbearably sore. Luckily, Sanghyuk and Jaewhan weren't around; the prince would simply have a heart attack if he knew they had found out. The three friends had decided to keep it to themselves for the time being. 

The three brothers all stood silently in a line waiting for the carriage to pull up in front of them. They were fully dressed in uniform: black jackets with silver cufflinks on their white shirts, and black ribbons adorned on their necks. Woobin was behind them, eyes locked firmly on the sky. Taekwoon and Hakyeon made sure to position themselves either side of Hongbin, gripping each of their little brother's hands tightly for fear that if they let go, either of them, he would break down. They had to be the strong ones, for him. It was the unspoken agreement between them.

Nobody had to wait long as the gates were drawn open and the white horses, red bows woven in their golden manes. It was driven round the fountain in the middle of the courtyard before stopping at the door. Everybody held their breaths as the King stepped out, a broad smile masking his features as he clapped on his sons. "My boys!" He cried, opening his arms widely. The three young men did not hesitate to run into his embrace, clinging onto him for dear life. He stumbled at the sudden weight forced upon him, chuckling lightly. It was like when they were children, them all burying their faces in his neck and shoulders. "I have bought you all so many fine..." He trailed off as he saw his sons red eyes and wet cheeks when they lifted their heads "What is wrong?"

Hakyeon clenched his teeth and sniffed loudly "M- Mother..." Was all he managed to say before choking on the rest of his words.

"Yes," the King asked, dread creeping through his body "What about her?"

Wonshik watched sympathetically as Taekwoon battled to compose himself. He was blinking rapidly and his adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed back his tears. "Father..." He lay a hand on his shoulder shakily "Sh- she's dead."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Rain battered roof like a hail of bullets, a wall of water; smudges of light. It lashed at the window panes, brief and sudden showers, blurring the view outwards. It sounded like relentless drumming of nails to Taekwoon as he sat on the windowsill. He had been shut up in his room almost all day. A trail of clothes led from him to the doorway: his boots, his jacket, his waistcoat, his tie...

His father didn't want to see anybody. He didn't want to speak to anybody- nobody was to disturb him. He'd never forget the look on the old man's face when he had been given the news. It was blank. No tears. No anger. He didn't hug any of them or offer any words of comfort. 

He just pushed Hongbin off him and walked away, into the palace, up to his chamber. The door had been locked and nobody was permitted enterance apart from Woobin, who had been coaxing for almost an hour before he had been allowed in. He hadn't emerged either.

Taekwoon sighed and got to his feet, going to the the double doors leading to the balcony and pushing the open. Droplets instantly began to assault his pale face, cold, but he didn't move away. It was refreshing in a way. His eyes gazed around the drenched greenery outside, falling on a shadowy figure hacking at some weeds, shirt off and chest exposed. He felt his heart jump into him mouth. "Wonshik!"

Wonshik didn’t hear him so he ran to the railing, not caring about getting wet. "Wonshik!"

The groundskeeper turned around as he heard his name being called, eyes widening when he saw the prince. "What are you doing out here?" He yelled, throwing down his tool and sprinting closer to the balcony. "Go back inside; you'll catch something!"

But the prince ignored him and cocked his head "Come up!"

"Are you-" Wonshik froze as he clapped eyes on the ivy growing up the stone wall "Hold on!" He jogged towards it and scrambled for a good enough foothold, lacing his fingers round the weed and pulling himself up. It didn't take him long. Soon enough, he had his leg up over the railing and was stood in front of the prince, who was already drenched. His hair stuck to his forehead and long eyelashes clumped together. His white shirt was suddenly completely sheer, clinging to his lithe torso. 

Once the peasant was in front of him, he wasted no time in pulling him close, his desperation and sorrow overruling his shyness. The rain ran down their faces to where their lips met, each of them tasting the cold drops. Instead of distracting them though, it seemed to make the whole thing more intense. Wonshik pushed his lips in more firmly and the wave that ran through Taekwoon was intoxicating, making his head swim as the groundskeeper then pulled back to take in the prince's beautiful face. "Are you okay?" He asked breathlessly. 

Taekwoon looked as though he was about to nod but then paused, looking down at his feet. "Father won't see us," he mumbled sadly. Wonshik's brows knitted together and he took his hand, leading him into the bedroom where it was safer- he didn't want the prince getting ill. "Why on earth won't he see you?" he asked, confused "I thought..."

"Me too," Taekwoon shrugged, grabbing the fur throw on the bed and wrapping it around himself for warmth. "For now, Lord Woobin is in charge of my brothers and I." Wonshik couldn't help but cringe. Woobin was known for being a bit of a slave driver with the servants, working the ones in the palace to the brink of exhaustion to make sure everything was 'perfect'. Luckily, working outside, Jaewhan, Sanghyuk and Wonshik didn't come into contact with him a lot but they still heard things. "He is nice enough, I suppose," Taekwoon sighed "He is just so blinkard and strict."

Wonshik sighed in pity and enveloped the prince in a tight hug "I am sure he only wants the best for you all."

 

Okaaaay, so, sorry if this was a boring chapter. This took me ages because I kept getting distracted. My mind has a tendency to just wander on to other things before I've finished what it os I'm already working on.

Also, no update last night (sorry again) because I've been having a few rough days and just wasn't in the mood for writing, which is really rare for me. I just felt tired and low. But I think I'm okay(?) now.

Here is some spam to make it up tho because I feel a little bad for being lazy.

tumblr_ogdpnhPN941r0skowo2_400.gif

tumblr_oj8jorfOfA1ql9awgo4_400.gif

tumblr_ofxnv4v2c21torwiqo1_400.gif

tumblr_ogy97aJKQs1u625uzo1_500.gif

tumblr_ok8x73ZkEr1ql9awgo2_400.gif

tumblr_ogk1t7v2NZ1viym7ho1_250.gif

 

Thanks for reading! xxx