Chapter 5

For Life

"Oh my goodness, my boys!" The Queen gasped as the three princes dismounted from the two horses that had been carrying them. She ran towards them with her arms open wide, wrapping her arms tightly round each of them and pressing a wet kiss to each of their cheeks. She had to stand on her toes to reach them though. Hakyeon let out a light laugh and used his thumb to wipe away the wetness appearing on her cheeks "We're all fine, mother."

Wonshik and the others all smiled at the display as she crossed to Hongbin and placed her hand to the lump that had formed on his head. "Oh, good lord. What happened?"

"We just hit a..." Taekwoon paused and pursed his lips as he looked for a way to end his sentence without giving her a heart attack "Small problem on the way home." She narrowed her eyes skeptically, still not letting go of her youngest son "Problem?"

"Uh, bandits," Jaewhan filled in. Her head snapped towards him and he bowed down "Your majesty."

She scrutinised him hard, shifting her gaze over to Sanghyuk and Wonshik too suspiciously "And who are you?" She asked, arching an eyebrow. Peasants didn't belong in the palace grounds- she'd probably have to get the courtyard washed now. Who knew what diseases they were carrying? She couldn't let her sons get sick. Taekwoon rolled his eyes and took her hand, leading her over to the three young men despite her slight resistance. "These are the men who saved us, mother," he explained with a gentle smile.

"They saved Hakyeon from being slaughtered," Hongbin agreed, coming up behind them with eyes still sparkling from the adrenaline rush he had just not long experienced "It was quite remarkable, actually."

"Yes," Hakyeon told her, linking his hands behind his back "I believe we owe them one."

The Queen spluttered at the remark and was about to reply when a deep voice hollered from the door "Ah! My sons, how were your travels?" The King beamed as he made his way down the stone steps to embrace his children. However, he paused when he reached the bottom "Where on earth is the carriage? The guards?" He frowned in confusion.

Hongbin's cheeks flushed and he looked down at his shoes "We, um, lost it?"

His father choked on his own breath "Lost it?" He exclaimed "How?"

"Small problem," Taekwoon repeated, rubbing the back of his neck bashfully. He too avoided eye contact with the elder man but not because he was afraid of his father, of course not. They were close. But the King and Queen would never let them out the palace again if they knew what had happened. "So, you lost the carriage and ten of my guardsmen in a 'small problem'?" His father asked, placing his hands on his hips. 

Hakyeon bit his lip, deciding to step in "We were attacked," he explained calmly "The guards were killed and the carriage is at the bottom of the ravine. These men," he gestured to the peasants, who were all now on one knee at the sight of their ruler "They saved our lives."

"Really now?" The King raised both his eyebrows, rubbing his chin thoughtfully "And what do they wish for in return?"

Wonshik shared a hesitant glance with his friends and Sanghyuk shrugged a little. They didn't want anything. Not really. "Oh come now," the old man laughed. He didn't believe peasants would risk their lives for people they'd never met out of sheer kindness or duty. It's not like they were knights or soldiers. "We really want nothing, sire," Wonshik mumbled, keeping his head down in respect. 

"I was about to tell them, dear," the Queen turned to her husband, letting go of Taekwoon's hand and walking over to him, the sound of her heeled shoes clicking on the pavement making the peasants wince "They owe them nothing."

The King nodded slowly in agreement but let out a sigh "It seems our boys want to repay them though, my lady." The three princes nodded eagerly and she groaned in defeat. She knew there was no winning this argument, especially when all three of her children were on the same side opposing her. She could usually sway Hongbin to back her up but, in this instance, it was clear her youngest boy's mind was made up.

They all stood in an awkaward silence until Taekwoon cleared his throat "The sun is setting," he aknowledged with a short glance up at the sky.

"Ah, they best be getting home then. Thank you boys!" The Queen cried while turning on her heel and making to scurry back into the palace. The King went to follow her but they were both stopped in the tracks when Taekwoon continued "I think the least we can offer is a room for them here."

"Yes!" Hakyeon clapped his hands enthusiastically "That sounds perfect."

"Can they eat supper with us too, mother?" Hongbin asked.

The old woman's eyes widened in horror at the suggestion; have peasants at the royal banqueting table? That just simply was unheard of. Meanwhile, Wonshik and the others were still kneeling awkwardly, unsure of what to do. They didn't want to be any trouble. But, at the same time, riding through the forest to town at night was suicide.

The brothers looked at their father hopefully and he bristled under their pleading gazes; he couldn't say no to them. "I suppose one night won't hurt."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“Oh, Hell no,” Jaewhan gasped as he walked into the bedroom, “I-I think we have the wrong r-room.” It was so... grand. Almost to the point of it being uncomfortably so. The servant behind them shook his head and bowed deeply "No, sir. This room was chosen by the princes themselves. Lord Taekwoon insisted you have a view of the grounds and Lord Hakyeon had two more beds brought in. I hope they are to your liking."

To their liking? This room was three times the size of their entire home! Everything was mind blowing. Sanghyuk giggled and ran at the bed closest to the door, leaping onto it and burying his face in the soft pillow "This is so amazing!" He cried, his smile unable to go any wider. Jaewhan and Wonshik grinned at his antics and the servant backed out of the room. "Dinner is at seven," he told them all "Do not be late. There are suitable clothes in the closet."

"Thank you," Wonshik beamed before the doors were closed. Jaewhan rushed over to join Sanghyuk and he wandered over to the window, gazing out at the fountains that were once more lit up. In golden yellow, this time. He wondered how the servants managed such a thing. 

His eyes scanned the horizon, befalling a shape in the distance. The tree.

He couldn't help but smile and had to bite his lip to stop himself laughing. Lord Taekwoon ordered a view of the grounds, hm? I can't imagine why.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon sighed as he looked out his window.  The stars look different from here,  he thought as he stared out into space, remembering the night of the ball. That was the first time he had really ever payed attention to stars. He had been missing out.

"Taekwoonie~"

The prince turned to see his eldest brother peering round the door, head cocked to the side "Who are you daydreaming about?" Taekwoon scoffed and his cheeks flushed a deep pink. "Nobody," he mumbled, twisting back to look out the window. 

"Is it that girl you met at the ball?" Hongbin asked as he poked his head from under Hakyeon's armpit. They both wore the same smug expression and the young man growled at them, launching a pillow in their direction. It hit the door with a loud thump and Hakyeon shrieked, jumping back. "That's no way to treat your brothers!"

They both entered the room at their own risk, Hongbin picking up the pillow and tossing it onto the bed bfore joining Taekwoon on the windowsill. The elder sighed and glanced at Hakyeon, who stood behind him. “Are you okay,  brother?” He asked as he moved some hair out of Hongbin’s face.

“My heart is still pounding,” Hakyeon admitted with a nervous chuckle “I really thought I was going to…”
“Nice to know you would die to save us," Hongbin smiled.

"You'd both do the same for me," the elder sighed as he slumped to the ground, lying his head on Taekwoon's lap with his hands folded under it. 

"How did father take the news of our rejection?" Taekwoon asked quietly.

The elder man snorted lightly "Not well but I think he understand why. After all, we were brought up on true love- he knows he can't expect us to just ask a random girl's hand in marriage."

Hongbin smiled widely in relief "Good." He looked down at his hands for a second before continuing more soberly "Dinner will be interesting, won't it?"