Chapter 27

For Life

Wonshik's wrist screamed in protest as Jaewhan tried to pick the lock with a nail he had found in the corner of the cell. Sanghyuk's eyes followed it closely "Come on! You're almost there." They'd been at this for what seemed like hours and they weren't getting anywhere fast. Huffing, thre elder man dug the pin harder into the keyhole and heard it snap... Great.

He threw it across the cell angrily and slumped down "That was the last nail, Wonshik, sorry."

Wonshik pursed his lips and shrunk back against the wall as Sanghyuk curled up on the floor "God, I'm freezing!"

Nodding in agreement, Jaewhan pulled his baggy shirt tighter around his body "We are in a jail." However, he felt most sorry for Wonshik, to be honest; his chains were so short he could hardly move his hands. The nights chill was bitter and small flakes of snow were making their way into the cell, building up in the light of the moon. "This is all my fault," Sanghyuk muttered, shaking his head with a small scowl. 

"Don't think like that," Wonshik told him firmly.

"No, it is," he retorted sadly "I- I overheard them; it's all my fault. If I hadn't Jaewhan would still be at home and Wonshik would still have the prince." Wonshik bowed his head at the mention of Taekwoon- he missed him so much already. He wondered if he was okay, where he was; he still wanted to knock Woobin's teeth out for striking him. Who the Hell did he think he was? 

"Is that why they took us?" Jaewhan asked croakily, his voice hoarse from lack of water. Sanghyuk nodded solemnly. He buried his face in his hands as he lay on his stomach, not wanting to look the older men in the eyes. Wonshik watched him, brow creased "Woobin is so obsessed with Taekwoon becoming king, he's willing to do anything to make sure his plans don't fail." Part of him wondered why the lord had chosen Taekwoon out of the three brothers- they all had an equal chance. But Woobin seemed certain he would make Taekwoon succeed, whether he wanted to or not. 

Sanghyuk frowned in confusion and looked up "What? No, that isn't his plan."

"What?"

"He doesn't want any of them to become king."

"No, that isn't right," Jaewhan laughed nervously as if he had said something ridiculous "Of course one of them has to become king." But Wonshik wasn't laughing. He sat up and glared at Sanghyuk seriously "What do you mean?"

There was a short pause before the younger continued, chewing on his bottom lip "He... He wants them all dead- he's going to take the kingdom for himself. I don't know how he's going to go about it but-"

"That bastard!" Wonshik roared, beginning to pull furiously at his chains. His face flushed red and the veins on his neck popped from the force he was using Jaewhan and Sanghyuk both sprung forward, putting their hands on his arm to try and calm him. "Please," Jaewhan begged quietly, glancing fearfully over his shoulder for any signs of the guards his friend's outburst may have alerted "Getting angry won't help."

"So what?" Wonshik growled, eyes wild and feral with anger and panic"We just let him be killed? I need to help him!" Taekwoon had no idea what he was in for- from a man he trusted so much too. "No," the elder replied, drawing back and getting to his feet. His friends watched him in confusion and he grinned.

"We escape."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon kept his raw, teary gaze trained on the ground as Hakyeon led him down the corridor to Woobin's office, as per the lord's request. He was still struggling to wrap his head around what Tekwoon had revealed to him in the chambers only a few moments ago. He couldn't understand it. He had been right in the beginning. There was an a ttraction between his brother and that peasant, more than an attraction. It all made sense now and that made him happy. However, it wasn't that simple, Taekwoon and Wonshik were in trouble, so much trouble...

Hongbin thought he hadn't noticed him trailing behind, hiding behind corners and such, but he had. The eldest brother didn't try and stop him though; it wasn't fair to exclude him any more. They approached the door and the guard opened it for them. However, before Hakyeon could take a step inwards, Woobin appeared and grabbed Taekwoon by his collar, yanking him in and slamming the door closed. 

"B- Brother!" Hakyeon yelled, moving to open the door before the guard stopped him, a warning look in his eyes. But he also looked a little sorry for the young man. "I am sorry, my lord," he swallowed thickly "My orders come from Lord Woobin- I can't disobey the regent. Niether can you." The prince opened his mouth to argue when he felt a soft hand on his shoulder. He turned to see Hongbin stood behind him, looking worried and teary eyed. He gave him a small nod and a small, silent pact was made. If they couldn't go in, they would simply wait outside. 

 

Woobin dragged Taekwoon over to one of the chairs lined up on the far side of the room and threw him down, the force of the prince's weight causing the chair to rock back, hitting the wall behind. "Stop sniffling and look at me!" The older man scowled angrily. Taekwoon took a few seconds to attempt to control himself before doing as he was told, staring right into the lord's livid eyes. "A peasant! A servant! A man! You fool!" 

The prince listened silently as Woobin continued to spit insults to him, about his brothers, about Wonshik. Saying how he wasn't worthy to carry his father's name, that no man who ever lay with another could ever hope to be anything, let alone king, and that his parents would be horrified. At this, the prince got to his feet and clenched his fists, steeling himself "Know your place, Lord Woobin," he hissed between closed teeth "You will do well to remember who has the real power here."

He had never threatened anybody like this in his life before but now was different, now Wonshik was in danger. "Let him go."

But Woobin simply laughed and shook his head "I am your regent, you do as I say, your highness. Do not try and pull rank on me; you would do well to remember your place. What is stopping me from telling your father, hm?"

Taekwoon's eyes widened at the threat and Woobin cackled again "Do not worry, I won't tell him of your 'antics', however you know the peasant will have to die for his crimes-"

"No!" The prince shouted, stepping forward frantically "No, you can't!"

"Why on earth not?" The elder smirked, checking his nails as if they were just discussing the weather rather than a man's life.

Taekwoon gritted his teeth "You know why."

"Hm," Woobin arched an eyebrow "And you are really so desperate to save his life?"

"Yes." There not an ounce of hesitation, no pause, no thought needed. Taekwoon would do anything if it meant Wonshik would be spared. Woobin smiled and put a hand on the prince's shoulder, ignoring his unhidden flinch at the contact as he pushed him back down onto the chair and sat beside him. 

"Then let us make a deal."