Chapter 11

For Life

Taekwoon shook his head and bit his lip, gazing into Wonshik's worried eyes. "You know this is dangerous, right?" Wonshik was at risk of death if anybody found out what they had done. Although two men being together was not illegal under his father's laws, it was still largely frowned upon. How could two men be expected to be like a real couple? It caused major problems for Taekwoon; being males, niether could carry children so they would never be able to produce an heir. Adoption wasn't an option either considering the child wouldn't have legitimate claim. There was that and the fact Wonshik was a commoner. Lawfully, he shouldn't even have looked Taekwoon in the eye. 

"It's worth it, isn't it?" The peasant replied hopefully, taking the prince's hand in his and holding it to his chest with his warm palms "I haven't stopped thinking about you." Taekwoon stared at him through his eyelashes and let out a long sigh, the soft, white cotton of Wonshik's sleeve with his fingertips. He shook his head slowly "We are going to need to lay some rules," he spoke quietly "Regular meeting times and spots, no signs of affection while my family or your friends are aroun-"

Before he could finish, Wonshik swallowed his words with a kiss, pecking his lips tenderly and pulling back, keeping the tips of their noses in contact. The corners of his lips quirked upwards "We'll figure something out, I promise. We'll just have to trust each other." Taekwoon gulped, blinking rapidly. He knew all this was moving a little fast, Hell, they both did. But they didn't mind. "I trust you," he whispered.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Explain the practice and importance of judicial review," Woobin arched an eyebrow as he looked up from the textbook he was holding, levelling his gaze with Hakyeon. The eldest prince jumped slightly at the unexpected question "Um," he paused "It is an important part of the checks and balances to limit the authority of the legislative branch," he answered uncertainly.

Lucky for him, Woobin nodded, seeming satisfied with his answer. Hakyeon puffed his cheeks out and breathed a sigh of relief. The royal advisor was a strict, old fashioned teacher- he wanted to avoid getting into trouble with him. He could see why his younger brother's hated the lesson so much. Hongbin was trying to listen but kept having to stifle yawns with his palm when the elder man wasn't looking at them and Taekwoon just kept writing, not looking up once. Even when there was nothing to write about, he would just keep writing. It was the only way he could stop himself dying of boredom.

The three princes had been sat at the table in dining room in the East wing of the palace, the one nobody really ate in, for almost two hours without a single break. They were tired and mentally overworked. None of them dared suggest they rested for a while though. They knew politics was an important part of being king and that's why Woobin taught it but it didn't make it any easier. 

"Now, Prince Taekwoon, since you were reading up on our subject before the session, why don't you tell us-"
"Lord Woobin!" 
Everybody turned as a flustered looking servant burst through the door, breathing heavily and red in the face. Woobin scowled and closed his book "What is it?" He snapped "You know you are to knock when there is an important matter going on!"

"I- It's the Queen, your- my Lord," the poor man stuttered back, casting his gaze downwards and giving a clumsy bow. The three princes were on their feet instantly at the mention of their mother and Hakyeon stepped forward, urgently grabbing the servant's arm "What is wrong with her?" The man quivered and his lips, voice breaking "She collapsed, sire. On t- the staircase."
Woobin's eyes narrowed and he slammed his book down on the table with a bang "Oh, stop blubbering, you fool! Where is she now?"
"In her chambers, my Lord."

The brother's didn't need to be told twice. In a matter of seconds, the three of them were scaling the stairs two or even three at a time to get to their mother. "Is she sick?" Hongbin asked worriedly as they jogged down the corridor.
Hakyeon shook his head "She seemed fine earlier."

"Less talking, more running!" Taekwoon ordered, picking up his pace as they rounded a corner. His brothers both did as he said and they burst into the woman's room, the door hitting the wall as all three of them ran into it. They gasped when they saw her. "Mother!" She was so pale, her hair was undone, falling in black waves down her back, and she was propped up by numerous pillows in her bed. When she saw them, she smiled weakly "My boys..." Her voice was croaking and lacked the energy it'd had all of a few hours ago. 
Hongbin came forward and grabbed her hand gently "You're boiling hot," he breathed before turning to the maid stood posted near the bedside "Open that window."

However, she shook her head and gave a small curtsey "She is running a fever, sire." He frowned and looked back down at the Queen; she was shaking badly. Hakyeon sat beside his youngest brother, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder while Taekwoon sat on the other side of the bed, taking the damp flannel from the side and dabbing her forehead with it. 

She closed her eyes briefly "My boys..." she said again "My beautiful boys."

"We're here, mother," Hakyeon told her softly, brow creasing in concern. Was she delusional?
She smiled and lay her head back, eyes still shut "Sing for me," she pleaded quietly.

The three young men all exchanged a glance but Taekwoon nodded, straightening up and putting the flannel down beside him. He paused for a moment before letting one long note slip from his mouth. Hakyeon and Hongbin joined, their notes slightly lower and they held it for a couple of seconds before Taekwoon began to sing the words. 

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise."

Hakyeon smiled and closed his eyes "Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you."

"Badadada... Ah," They harmonised again and the Queen's grin widened.

Hongbin held her hand tighter "Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies-"

"Your majesty!"

The Queen's eyes snapped open and she seemed to reel slightly from the dizziness that overcame her. "Lord Woobin," she greeted cheerfully "My sons were just singing for me. Aren't they marvellous?" 

Woobin returned her smile and came forwards clasping his hands and raising an eyebrow "Indeed, your highness," he agreed before straightening "However, I do believe you should be resting." His gaze shifted to the three princes who all stood. However, Hongbin didn't let go of his mother's hand. She gave a weak chuckle and shook her head "I do wish to spend some time with them before I sleep," she mumbled. Although everybody in the room could see she was tired, hearing the fatigue in her voice. 

"I will send them in as soon as you wake up, your majesty," Woobin insisted "But for now, rest. You need to regain your strength." Without any more arguments against him, the lord began to usher the princes out of the room. They stumbled a bit at the unexpected action and had to bid goodbye over their shoulders before they were nudged back into the hallway and the chamber door was closed, Lord Woobin still inside.

"I wanted to spend longer with mother," Hongbin pouted, looking down at his feet sulkily. Who was Woobin to tell them what to do? Especially when their mother was sick. Hakyeon sighed and gave a shrug "We all did, but, maybe it's better that she rests for now, right, Taekwoon?"

Taekwoon turned to them both, chewing the inside of his cheek worriedly "Do you think she will be okay?" He had never seen her like that before. For all the twenty five years he had been alive, he couldn't remember her being this ill.Their father was a different story but that was down to all his travelling and late nights working in his study. His eyes watered but he blinked furiously, beginning to walk away down the hall.
"Where are you going?" Hakyeon demanded.

"Into the grounds! I need some space alone for a while," he called back before setting off into a jog down the stairs. 
Hongbin frowned and folded his arms "You are always alone!" He shouted back but it was too late. Once he was out of sight, Hakyeon groaned, tipping his head back exasperatedly "Aish, Taekwoon."

 

 

Before anybody asks, yes that lullaby is the one from the Hunger Games, credit to the franchise. I was looking up ones I could use and stumbled across it. I think the lyrics are really pretty...
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this. Thank you for every read, comment and subscriber that comes in- you all make this so worthwhile xxx

P.S. If any of you are reading Impulse, the FAQ, playlist and 'gift' should be posted tomorrow. I've almost finished. Also I am linking the playlist to YouTube so you can listen to it (it's like five songs, nothing fancy). Please anticipate it ^^