Chapter 6

For Life

Wonshik squirmed uncomfortably in his seat as he poked at his food. The suit he had been given to wear was made up of a white shirt and tight, navy blue waistcoat which restricted his movements. His trousers were also navy, with a white stripe running fown the side of the leg, and he had also been given a pair of stiff leather boots. Sanghyuk and Jaewhan's outfits were identical to his own and it made him wonder if these were standard issue to a division of servants there. But he knew he should've been grateful so did his best to eat politely despite the tightness of his garments. 

The three peasants all sat in a line, evenly spaced, on one side of the table and the princes were seated opposite. The King and Queen both had places either end- this was much to the discomfort of Sanghyuk and Wonshik, who didn't want to sit anywhere near the elders. They were anxious as it was without feeling their scrutinising gazes. It was made worse by the fact none of them had known what cutlery to start with, despite the Queen chuckling that it was 'to be expected of them'. Luckily, Hongbin and Taekwoon had both managed to discreetly signal they were supposed to start from the outside and work inwards. Beside them, Hakyeon smirked to himself, trying to keep from laughing at the constipated face Hongbin was pulling. 

"So," the King began, wiping his mouth with a napkin "How are your new classes, boys?"

The peasants all looked up with sudden interest as Hakyeon nodded "Very well, father. The new tutor you hired is simply first class. I feel I will pick things up quickly now."

The old man smiled warmly, pleased at his eldest son's answer, before his gaze shifted to the younger two "And you, Hongbin? Taekwoon?" Taekwoon's eyes fell to his lap and he took a sip of his wine from the goblet in front of him. "Um, I am not finding it so easy, father" Hongbin admitted sheepishly, bowing his head but keeping eye contact with the King "But, with more practice I feel I will learn well."

"That you will," his father nodded curtly. He knew not to pressure Hongbin too much. Afterall, he had not long reached adulthood; but he had to be prepared if he wanted to take the throne. "And the fencing classes?"

"Taekwoon is excelling, father," Hakyeon beamed, gripping his younger brother's shoulder reassuringly; Taekwoon did not take compliments too well. The King grinned and tilted his head, interlocking his fingers with elbows resting on the table "Ah, yes. The tutor tells me that he is one of his finest students." Taekwoon blushed furiously and shrunk into his seat.

Wonshik couldn't help but smile- finest student, huh? He should like to duel one day. He almost suggested it when the King's attention unexpectedly turned to him. "You all must be decent with a weapon too," he aknowledged "Fighting all those thugs on your own." He sounded impressed and the Queen bristled at the unpleasant thought of bloodshed and fighting. If she had her way, her boys would never be exposed to such things. 

"M- My father was a soldier, sire," 

The old man's eyes widened "Really now? What was his name?"

Wonshik gulped "Kim Manshik, sire."

The King's brow creased and he pursed his lips in thought "I... don't recall a Kim Manshik," he mumbled.

"He, um," the peasant bit his lip and felt Jaewhan put a comforting hand on his knee "Died in the line of duty- Battle of the Chosin Desert." Taekwoon's head suddenly snapped up, his eyes widening. Wonshik didn't have a father? His heart suddenly sunk a little. He didn't know what he would do without his father. "What about your mother?" The Queen asked, smiling encouragingly at him "Inherited the property and is living comfortably in her age?" From Wonshik's appearance she doubted he was much younger than her own sons, meaning his mother was most likely her age or aroundabouts. Wonshik drew a sharp breath "Died in childbirth, your highness."

"We are all orphans, your majesty," Sanghyuk muttered sadly. 

The family all exchanged a brief, sad glance and Hakyeon swallowed thickly, deciding to change the subject. "What do you work as?" He asked curiously, popping another mouthful of food past his lips. "No," he said, waving his hands "Actually, let us guess." He put his fork down and narrowed his eyes, looking them all up and down "Farmers?"

Jaewhan giggled beind his hand "No."

Hongbin hummed thoughtfully, showing his dimples as he grinned "Uh, weavers."

"Not even close, your highness," Sanghyuk shook his head. Wonshik smiled and looked at Taekwoon, who had been staring at him intently for the past few seconds. The King and Queen looked on in slight amusement in the little game the boys had just initiated. Hakyeon was always the playful one. "Sire?" Wonshik asked, causing Taekwoon to snap out of his daze. "Would you care to take a guess?"

The prince narrowed his eyes at his teasing tone and pursed his lips "Alright," he replied "You came to our rescue with weapons already at hand, and in a small group."

"Correct, your highness," Wonshik smirked.

"And, unless you are psycic, I'll wager they were meant originally to be used on animals- small ones."

The King and Queen looked at each other over the table as their son disected the men in front of them. They weren't sure whether to feel proud or a little awkward, after all, they were just sat there. And this was the most their son had spoken at one time in ages. "Very good," Wonshik told him, his smile broadening. 

"So," Taekwoon continued, "You're all..." He paused and Wonshik raised his eyebrows, prompting him to continue.

"Butchers?"

"Wrong again, sire!" The peasant laughed, trying and failing to keep it quiet. The King and Queen looked at him in shock at the disrespect he was (unintentionally) showing. However, the three princes simply laughed along with him, hiding their wide smiled and muffling the sound with their hands. "Well, what are you then?" Hongbin asked in between giggles.

"Are you bandits yourselves?" Hakyeon raised an eyebrow jokingly, causing both his parents to tense slightly. That was not a thing to be taken so lightly after what had almost happened.

"Do not worry, your majesty," Sanghyuk smiled reassuringly "We are no such thing."

"You," Wonshik pointed to Taekwoon "Were so close." Taekwoon tilted his head in interest and he continued "We're hunters. It's the only thing we can find at the moment." The prince rolled his eyes and threw his hands in the air exasperatedly "Ah! That was going to be my second guess." The six young men chuckled again and the second prince sipped his drink "How is the view from your room?"

Hongbin's eyes lit up "Yes! To your liking, I hope. We picked it out especially."

"The room is lovely," Jaewhan bowed gratefully "You're all very kind."

The King and Queen remained silent but Hakyeon waved his hand flippantly "Don't be rediculous. It's one of the smaller rooms but the only one with a good view of the grounds- so, we settled."

Taekwoon eyed Wonshik and the peasant stared back at him, his heart jumping slightly. "The view is wonderful; you can see all the way to the end of your grounds," the peasant said, the corners of his lips quirking upwards. The prince also grinned, eyes sparkling "I am glad you like it."

They sat in silence for a few long moments until the Queen noticed them, and snapped her fingers, motioning for a servant to come and start clearing up the plates. Taekwoon and Wonshik jumped. "Well, we best all be getting to bed. The peasants have an early start tomorrow- you know, hunting and travelling and all that business." She got to her feet and everybody followed, Jaewhan, Sanghyuk and Wonshik all thanking the King for his generosity as they stood. "Do not mention it," the old man smiled warmly, heading after his wife with his sons beside him "Now, how much does hunting pay then?"

The young men all shared a sheepish glance and Jaewhan chuckled in embarrassment "We can usually scrape together one hundered and twenty gold pieces a month."

"Is that all?" He gasped in disbelief.

The group nodded. "We're looking for new jobs but they're scarce," Sanghyuk sighed. 

The old man pouted, sinking into deep thought. He stopped walking for a moment and the Queen halted, looking over her shoulder "Darling?" The princes all exchanged a puzzled glance before the King motioned for a servant standing by the door to come to him, which he did without hesitation. "Tell me, do we have any positions open here?"

"Sweetheart, what on earth are you doing?" The Queen asked, brow creasing.

Hakyeon wore a matching expression "Father?"

"Ssh," the old man ordered "I've just thought of a way we can repay these men productively," he told them, feeling rather proud of himself. This benifitted them all. The three peasants all looked at each other, filled with excitement. They were getting work? At the palace? "But, they said they didn't want anything," the Queen smiled, trying to get he husband to come along. 

"We are in need of a new gardener, sire," the servant bowed deeply "Ever since old Mr Choi got ill, we have been looking for somebody."

"Well, now you have three," the King nodded curtly before turning to the men in question "That will suit you, yes? Lodgings are provided as well as monthly pay." Wonshik's eyes widened and he looked at Taekwoon, who couldn't hide his grin at his father's kindness. He knew he would come round to their way of thinking eventually. 

"T- Thank you, your majesty. Thank you, so much!"

 

Aw, I actually love the King, to be honest. He's based off my great grandfather, if you're interested.

The Queen isn't all bad, trust me. She just needs to take a chill pill XD

Also playful Wontaek gives me life; who agrees? 

Thanks for reading and subcribing, angels <3   Comments are always welcome and appreciated, even if it's just saying hi ^^