Chapter 12

For Life

'Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise...'

Wonshik's head snapped up from his work as that sweet, melodic voice reached his ears. He stumbled, dropping the sack of slate he was carrying and sending it clattering to the floor. Sanghyuk yelped as the bag landed on his foot and jumped back. He scowled "Wonshik!"

"Do you hear that?" The elder asked, not tearing his eyes from the large stained glass window that sat over the stone balcony railing. His voice seemed distant and wistful. Jaewhan rolled his eyes "Yes, the princes are singing, big whoop." Wonshik frowned and picked his sack back up, slinging it over his shoulder with a small huff. "What's wrong with you?" He asked as he followed his friend down the path. 

Jaewhan scowled and carried on walking "Nothing," he sighed with a quick glance over his shoulder "It's just you've been acting strangely since you came back from the palace earlier." Behind Wonshik, Sanghyuk nodded in agreement. 

Wonshik's brow creased into a small frown. "I have not..." He paused "Have I?" He was sure he hadn't been doing anything different to what he usually did. Up until now he had been feeling quite proud with how he was managing to control the fluttery sensation in his chest. "You've been totally spaced out," Sanghyuk chuckled. 

"And, I swear, if you don't wipe that stupid, dizzy smile off your face, I'm going to wipe it off for you, " Jaewhan added, smirking over his shoulder at the younger man. "Seriously, what happened to you?" 

"Nothing," Wonshik insisted. 

"Liar."

"Shut up, Sanghyuk!"

The two continued to bicker until the trio finally reached the shack at the bottom of the slope. Jaewhan sighed and put a hand to his forehead to wipe the sweat there. "Okay!" He cried, forcing their dispute to a close "Sanghyuk, enough is enough..." 

"Thank you, " Wonshik grinned triumphantly. 

"... It's okay if he wants to keep this to himself and not tell his best friends who have been by his side since we were all children," Jaewhan pouted "Through thick and thin, the worst and best times of his life, have looked out for him and kept him out of trouble..." He gave an exaggerated sigh and Wonshik's face dropped. He tipped his head back with a groan of frustration. That wasn't fair. Jaewhan couldn't guilt trip him into telling them anything- he would not give in, he vowed. He couldn't. 

So, he shrugged and tipped the contents of his sack into the pit they had dug earlier, ready for the slates to be used to re-tile the path of the royal flower garden. However, since they were all too tired, they had all decided that they would do that tomorrow and deal with the more minimal jobs instead. Sanghyuk and Jaewhan followed suit before they all rolled up the woven bags and tossed them inside the shack onto the floor.

His gaze trailed back up to the palace and he couldn't help but tilt his head, wondering what Taekwoon was doing; was he as flustered as he was? He couldn't hear singing anymore- it had come to quite an abrupt stop. He pursed his lips. Tomorrow, he promised himself. Tomorrow, he would see Taekwoon again.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 "What on earth do you mean, 'we can't see her'?" Hakyeon gasped, outraged as he and his brothers stood before Woobin at their parents' chamber door. The elder man sighed and rested his hands on his hips "Her condition has worsened, sire. We don't want any of you contracting what she had come down with. Therefore-"

"No!" Hongbin cried, he was probably the most distressed at not being able to see her. Surely, if her condition was getting worse she would want to see them? Need to see them? Their family philosophy was that the best way to cure any ailment was lot's of love and attention from each other. It was their duty to make sure she was okay, not because she was the Queen, but because they were her children. Taekwoon let out a small, disgusted scoff "You cannot keep us from her, sir." He, like Hakyeon was more insulted by the fact they were being told what they could and couldn't do. But Woobin wasn't going to budge on the matter. 

Instead of arguing further, he clicked his fingers, calling guards to his side almost instantly. "Until she is well enough, the Queen had put me in charge of your well being," he told them all sternly "But, since you are all unwilling to follow my orders," he turned to the guards "Please, the princes to their rooms. Make sure they stay there."

The young men's eyes widened and Hakyeon's jaw tightened "You can't do this!" He argued as his arm was taken. The grip was firm but not at all tight. The guards tried to do the same to Taekwoon but he shook them off, pulling away only to have his shoulder grabbed instead. "We are no longer children, Lord Woobin," he ground out. Woobin arched an eyebrow and watched as the three were led away down the corridor "Time you began to act like it then," he told them callously, casting his eyes towards the floor and turning away from them. 

 

“Please…Please, no…Please let me out! Let me out!” Taekwoon cried as he ran to the door trying desperately to open it. He felt his heart rate speed up. He couldn't be locked in! “Let me out! You can’t do this! Please!” The prince hit the polished wood hard with his fists to try and get the guard's attention. But it was no use. “Please….” 

After a while, he back away from the door but froze as he heard a dull clink behind him.
“What the...?” Taekwoon whispered as he crossed the room, searching for the source of the sound. Another clink sounded off and the prince's attention went to the window. His heart throbbed. “Wonshik?”

He went to the window smiling. Wonshik was right there at the bottom. He felt tears well in his eyes as the emotions flying at him overhwelmed him slightly. He ran to the balcony door, attempting to open it. “Come on! Open! Open!” He growled out. The glass door was locked!

Taekwoon felt his tears escape. It wasn’t fair! He couldn’t get out. Was Woobin really that paranoid?
He moved to his window shaking his head to Wonshik. He couldn’t get out. Not unless he smashed the windows, but he was sure if he did that things would get much worse.
Wonshik pressed his hand to his lips then blew a kiss in his direction. Taekwoon pretended to catch it and hold it to his heart. He wished he could feel Wonshik's lips on his. A small blow kiss felt so far away. 

 

Damn you, Woobin!!!!