Chapter 28

For Life

2 Days Later

 

"A- Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Hongbin stuttered nervously as he nibbled his bottom lip, watching as his older brother glared at his own reflection in the wall-mirror. On the bed lay four large, white trunks full of Taekwoon's clothes and other belongings in. The elder looked down and heaved a sigh, shaking his head “It is what needs to be done, Hongbin. It is a small price to pay.” Hongbin didn’t like his tone. It was quiet, meek, monotonous; it was like the old Taekwoon. Before he met Wonshik. 

He wished it had been a surprise when he had found out what had been going on but he supposed he had seen the signs from the start- just like Hakyeon had. He had just chosen to ignore it. It wasn’t fair, why didn’t his brother have the right to be happy just like everybody else? If he ever had the chance of being King, he would change those stupid, outdated laws. Unlucky for him, his older brothers were the real contenders. He was just destined to sit there and look pretty. 

Woobin had organised a ball that evening. To wish you all goodbye before your stay at the country house, he had told them, until I am sure you are all well and healthy. They had all scoffed at that; it was a hideous lie, but one that all the courtiers and council members would believe. It was all-too-convenient that Taekwoon did have a history of being a sickly child when he was younger. It wouldn’t be too far a stretch to imagine his ailments returning due to the humid weather they had been having in the kingdom recently. The country manor was far away from the public eye, in the valleys; it was the perfect place to go to recuperate. 

The only problem was, none of them were ill.

The prince pouted and stepped forward, wrapping his older brother in atight hug. He didn’t care if their suits got creased- they only wore them once anyway. What difference did it make? Taekwoon clutched the back of Hongbin’s blazer tightly, squeezing the purple silk and burying his face in the crook of his brother’s neck. 

“Tell me it will be okay?” He whispered. Hongbin almost didn’t hear him as he scrambled for the right words to say. He honestly didn’t know but he didn’t want to upset his brother further, especially since they had to be in the ballroom in ten minutes. Hakyeon was in his own chamber, deciding (after a lot of pleading) to allow Hongbin time alone with Taekwoon, as he he got himself ready for the party. Unlike the other ones they’d had, he’d had no part in the planning, organising or set- up of this gathering. None of the Princes were in the mood for celebrating. 

Hongbin sighed and shook his head “Of course it will.”

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Wonshik’s eyelids fluttered as he continued to weakly hit his shackles with one of the rocks he had found littered around the cell. He didn’t know how long he had been at it for, trying to break the metal, but it didn’t feel like he was getting anywhere fast. He could hear distant music washing down the hallway from upstairs, signalling there was a party in full swing.

Sanghyuk and Jaewhan had dozed off hours ago, curled up with each other in the opposite corner of the small space, the younger man’s head resting on his freind’s forearm. Wonshik would have thought they looked cute if it not for the fact he was chained to the wall of the palace jail knowing his lover was... No, he wouldn’t let that happen. Woobin would have to get through him first. 

He grunted and re-doubled his efforts to break the chains. It was pitch black so he couldn’t even see his hand in front of his face, let alone what he was doing. He tightened his grip on the rock and shook himself in an attempt to keep from dozing off. The shrill clanging got faster and louder before the torches at the end of the corridor suddenly illuminated. He froze. 

“I’m so glad all this will be over tonight,” a hushed voice drifed into the cell.
“I know. Just a few more hours and those brats will be dead, then we can get rid of those peasants and get the Hell out of here.”
“I can’t believe the princes actually bought that crap about sending them away for their health!”
“Ssh! They didn’t agree. I heard Prince Taekwoon was blackmailed into it. Apparently Lord Woobin said that if he left, he would let the peasants go. Fool.”
“Disgusting and stupid,” the guard scoffed.

Wonshik’s bottom lip trembled as he let out the breath he had been holding. Tonight? 

"Guys, wake up!"

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taekwoon kept his eyes glued to the floor as he stood posted in the corner of the ballroom, hands behind his back, ignoring the people dancing and talking around him. He could practically feel the eyes of Woobin and the guards all over him, leaving him feel and exposed. He hated feeling like he should be ashamed, like he'd actually something wrong. He despised the fact he had been forced into this- but he'd had no choice. It was worth it if it meant Wonshik would be okay. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, he thought, Hakyeon and Hongbin would be with him... and the staff... his horse would have to stay... and his father... and of course, Wonshik...

He bit his lip, not eve noticing Hakyeon approaching as he sunk into his own world.  

"Taekwoonie! Are you okay?" He asked, noticing the tears pricking at his brother's eyes. Hongbin was not far behind, jogging up to the older prince with a worried expression. "What is wrong, brother?" he asked. But his genuine only upset Taekwoon more. His gentle voice was like a strand of silk in this dark, chaotic world he was stuck in. 

He felt Hakyeon's warm hand cupping his shoulder and looked up, his big brother's doe eyes meeting his watering ones. "Tell us," he whispered "Is it the peas-" He cleared his throat "Wonshik?" The name was mouthed, as if saying it was some shameful thing; some taboo. He knew that was never Hakyeon's intention but it still hurt. 

Taekwoon's silence was enough to answer the question and Hongbin sighed, patting his back "Just... try to forget about it for now, hm? Be positive." Before the elder could answer, the violins stopped and everybody began to applaude. The three brothers turned as Woobin took the platform with a wide grin. He held his hands up for silence. "My good people, thank you for joining us tonight! It is so lovely to see so many people here to support our princes as they take their leave for a couple of months in order to protect their health. It is truely a heart warming sight."

The guests all clapped again and he nodded, tilting his head and placing a hand on his hip. "Now, unfortunately, that time has come. It is time for our glorious heirs to begin their journey. But," his eyes trailed over to the three "I am sure they would like to say a few words of farewell." Hakyeon felt Taekwoon blatantly freeze in his hold and looked at the crowd, seeing the hundred or so smiling faces twisted towards them. Oh God...

Gingerly, he nudged his younger brothers to walk towards the platform, staying in between them as they weaved their way through the crowd of guests and climbed the single step to stand beside Woobin. "Thank you," Hakyeon spoke loudly, plastering a fake smile on his face as Hongbin's expression remained stony and Taekwoon glared at the floor again. "My brothers and I are eternally grateful for your patience and loyalty... We hope to see you all very, very soon." He kept the speech deliberately short and sweet as the court began to applaude and they were led back down and towards the doors by the lord and four guards- two in front and two behind. 

Their luggage was already locked up inside the chest attached on the back of the carriage. The door was open and ready and the gaslamps on the side and on the ceiling had been lit, illuminating the cream walls and red, velvet seats in a pale gold. It would have looked inviting to Taekwoon if it wasn't for the circumstances. He felt one of the servants drape his cloak around his shoulders and turned, snatching once mast glance at the palace before following his brothers up the steps and into the vehicle. 

Woobin came up and closed the door with a 'click' before smirking at Taekwoon with a sigh "Ah, young love. It's a beautiful thing."

"Go to Hell," the prince muttered, refusing to make eye contact with the vile man. 

But Woobin simply laughed and hit the side of the carriage, signalling to the driver they were ready to go "See you soon, your highnesses."

"Bastard," Hongbin hissed under his breath as they began to move, the palace getting gradually further and further away. Hakyeon's eyes widened in horror at the profanity and he gasped "Hongbin!"

"Oh, do not pretend you do not feel the same, brother!" The younger man rolled his eyes "You hate him as much as I do for what he's done to Taekwoon."

"I am right here, you know," the man in question cut into their bickering "I would rather we did not talk about this. What's done is done." He didn't look at them, knowing if he did, he would burst into tears. "I agree," Hakyeon nodded, reaching for the silver jug in the corner of the carriage and beginning to pour them all a cup "We will make the best of the situation; just as we always do."

He passed the cups around and they all sat back, taking a long sip of the bitter red liquid it contained.

Hongbin coughed and put his drink down, covering his mouth with his hand "What on earth is that?" He spluttered. It wasn't like any wine he had ever tasted before. It had no real flavour; it just made him feel sick. His eyelids suddenly felt unbearably heavy and his head lolled to the side "B- Brother, what's... ha- hap- happen-ing..." 

Hakyeon and Taekwoon watched as he passed out on the bench opposite them, falling back against the padded wall behind him, as their vision too began to blur. Hakyeon attempted to set his cup down as it slipped from his grip, hitting the floor and spilling the contents all over the carpet. Taekwoon just managed to catch him before he too fell off the chair onto the floor, pulling him upright only to see his brother's eyes were closed. 

His eyelids fluttered as he d for the bell, trying to alert the driver something was wrong but his fingers kept missing the chain, too weak and numb to coordinate their movements as his vision clouded over... 

 

EEEEEK! This is almost the end! 

tumblr_ol5dnbSavD1w05qaho1_500.gif