Chapter 21

For Life

"So, Lord Woobin said he wouldn't make you get engaged?" Wonshik repeated slowly, processing what Taekwoon had just told him as they stood together under the branches of their tree. The prince nodded happily as he told him the events that had taken place two mornings ago. Wonshik grinned and swept him up in a tight embrace, being careful not to dirty his pristine silk shirt "That's wonderful!" He cried "I have to admit I had been thinking of what would happen when you got engaged." Taekwoon smiled and buried his head in his shoulder. He didn't want to think about that right now. 

He pulled back, keeping his arms draped over the younger man's shoulders "Where are your friends?" He asked, looking around even thought he knew they wouldn't be there. He and Wonshik had been too careful for anybody to know what they were doing; for that, he was proud. Wonshik looked down suddenly, his smile falling from his lips almost as quickly as it had appeared moments before. "Jaewhan is at home and Sanghyuk... He's been missing for a couple of days. We have no idea where he could have gone."

"He left without a word?" The prince frowned, confused. What sort of person did that?

Wonshik nodded and sighed heavily, biting his lip "I don't know what could have happened to him- this isn't like him at all."

"Well, does he have any other friends, a girl he might want to see?"

The peasant shook his head; Sanghyuk was too much of a boy still to really care about girls. And he and Jaewhan were all the youngest man had in the world. They were all each other had. "No," he croaked "It's all my fault. Anything could have happened to him."

Taekwoon frowned and tilted his head curiously "How is any of this your fault?"

Wonshik looked at him, his eyes sparkling "He went looking for me that morning we were... together, in your room. I went home and he never came back. Jaewhan is going crazy." Part of him felt guilty for not telling Taekwoon his friends knew but it was for the best. It was too risky. Not to mention Taekwoon would simply die of embarrassment if he found out 

"Jaewhan is the eldest of you three, right?" The prince asked, trying to clarify all the details in his mind. He didn't know the other two groundskeepers by any means, rather knew of them, but that didn't stop the wave of fear and worry that washed over him at the prospect of one of them being missing. He pitied Wonshik- he had no idea what he would do if Hongbin or Hakyeon disappeared. "Yes," the peasant replied. 

Taekwoon thought for a moment before placing his finger under Wonshik's chin and lifting it up so their eyes met "Why don't I talk to Woobin tonight, yes? I'm sure he will send out a search party on my orders- he has to." He wiped the other man's now wet cheek with his thumb and smiled reassuringly.

"You would do that for me?" The peasant asked, eyes wide in disbelief.

Taekwoon nodded "Of course I would. We said we would move Heaven and Earth for each other, right? Time I keep that promise." Wonshik ducked his head and kissed him on the cheek tenderly, whispering sweet nothings in his ear. He was so lucky. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Sanghyuk leaned weakly against the door, groaning weakly. He felt so tired, hungry... thirsty. He had given up screaming some time ago- it was so pointless. He had resorted to just pounding on the door with his fist for a short while but nothing had worked. What wa she expecting? He was in Woobin's office, for God's sake. He swallowed dryly and drew his knees to his chest. Wonshik and Jaewhan must be so worried about me.

Suddenly, he jumped forward as the door was opened, filling the tiny room with light. He winced and squinted, turning round gingerly to see who it was. "Are you alive?"

Woobin towered over him, flanked by the same two guards who had caught him. Sanghyuk used his hands to cover his eyes. He could barely make out his captor due to the brightness. “…P-p-please,” he croaked as he strained his already broken voice "Let me... go." He looked up with a pleading gaze but the elder just laughed, his henchmen following suit. "You must be joking," he chuckled, shaking his head "After what you know?" He crouched down to the young man's level and ran a hand through his unwashed, unkempt hair. He tutted "It's a pity- you're such a smart boy." Sanghyuk forced himself to stay upright, not leaning into his touch.

"Which is why," Woobin continued "I want to offer you a business proposal. A deal, of sorts."

The peasant perked up slightly. He could bargain for his freedom? See Jaewhan and Wonshik again? The lord smiled, looking over his shoulder "Fetch him some water and some food; bread and jam and a piece of fruit will do." Sanghyuk's stomach growled fiercely at the mere mention of food and he gulped, trying to sit up. Woobin helped him gently, looking him up and down.

"Your brains could get you far in the world," he said gently "How would you like a promotion here at the palace?" 

Sanghyuk froze and he looked up, meeting the other man's eyes "What sort of promotion?" he asked meekly, hating how weak his voice sounded. 

"I want you to work for me- my right hand man- you would never want for anything. You could have money, clothes, never have to work the grounds another day in your life. I would treat you like a son."

Before the young man could answer, a silver goblet appeared from behinf the doorframe and Woobin took it, holding it to Sanghyuk's chapped lips encouragingly, urging him to drink. When he did, cold water washed down his throat and he gulped it, he didn’t know how thirsty he really was.

“More…” he whispered when he finished what he had been given, eager to drink. The cold water spilled from the corners of his mouth down to his neck, mixed with the cold sweat that covered his body. Woobin's tender hand wiped it. It was warm and soft against his skin but still made him shiver. "Y- You want me to help you kill the princes?" He gasped as the cup was pulled away once more. 

The lord sighed and looked down "It is what is best for the kingd-"

"Go to Hell." Sanghyuk's voice didn't have as much of an edge as he wanted it to but he still sounded a little fierce. "I am no traitor, sire."

Woobin's face suddenly darkened and he got to his feet quickly, allowing the younger man to flop forward once more. "You will regret that," he warned, kicking in the plate of food. Sanghyuk would have smiled if it wasn't for the splash of water that followed. The remains of his drink now dripped from his hair and down his nose. He looked up in shock. Woobin scowled at him and opened his mouth to say something but, before he could, another voice drifted in. It was soft, sweet, but still strong somehow.

"Lord Woobin..."

"Ah, yes, my prince?" Sanghyuk had never had a door slam in his face so hard and fast in his life. He jumped back in fright, hitting his head off the shelves behind him with a small grunt. He could hear a muffled conversation on the other side of the door and moved towards it, hitting it a few times before finally giving up again when nobody came. He was so weak from starvation, his knocks were probably too quiet anyway. 

He sighed and picked up the apple that had been thrown into the room, rolling it between his palms hopelessly.