Chapter 7

For Life

Wonshik, Jaewhan and Sanghyuk, between the three of them, had to keep almost six hundred acres of land completely clean and perfect every day. There was a large pond, a tropical garden sheltered within a grand greenhouse, a racing track where the princes would ride when they had their lessons, a field where archery and fencing were practiced in the summer, the courtyard (to be kept spotless at all times), an area for chickens and roosters to roam around safely away from any wild foxes and now a vegetable garden that was growing very successfully thanks to the previous groundskeeper.

They had decided to spend their first day of service working in the greenhouse- after all, they had never even heard of one before. It was lined with flowers which, the later discovered, were actually herbs for food; down a slated pathway there was a large vegetable patch, where the three young men were standing shirtless, a wheelbarrow of freshly picked produce next to them almost ready to be carted up by Sanghyuk to the palace kitchen to be cooked and eaten for the royal family's supper. They were instructed to get only the best and leave the others to be thrown away later.

It seemed like such a waste to Wonshik. Weren't people starving in the town? Here the palace was throwing away vegetables that could be given to the people. However, when he had brought it up to another servant who had come to bring them water to help with the intense heat of the greenhouse, the man had simply shrugged and stated that there were so many people to be fed, fights would just break out over who got what. Wonshik supposed he was right. But that didn't make it any easier to accept. The world was cruel.

"I'm going to die out here!" Jaewhan cried, dropping onto one knee and propping himself up on his shovel. His friends laughed and nodded; it had been a long shift, but they knew it was worth it. They had been given a small house attached the barn. They each had a small room of their own upstairs and downstairs there was a basic kitchen and sitting area. Unfortunately, they had to share an outhouse with the other servants that lived in that area. But at least they had an outhouse. 

Wonshik sighed and wiped his forehead tiredly "Let's take a break for now," he suggested "We'll meet back here in half an hour?" The other two men smiled gratefully and the friends all dropped their tools, taking off their gloves and all setting off in different directions.

Wonshik began to wander further into the greenhouse, down the path, ducking under overhanging branches and admiring the flowers that had surrounded him. He could hear the running of water and the sound of small finches and bluetits chriping; he didn't know how they'd gotten in there but he didn't mind. It added to the peaceful atmosphere. He ran his fingers along the leaves as he dawdled, humming softly to himself. 

He continued walking for what seemed like ages until, suddenly, a foot suddenly dropped down in front of him, dangling from a long, slender leg. Wonshik screamed and jumped backwards, falling to the ground with a thud. "Oh my goodness! I am so sorry!" The peasant looked up, rubbing his head

"It's okay, your highness," he smiled awkwardly "No harm done."

Hongbin grinned in relief and jumped down from where he was sitting on the tree branch, closing his book. He couldn't help but blush at the topless manin front of him- it was not a sight he was accustomed to. "I'm glad." He held out his hand and Wonshik took it hesitantly, allowing himself to be pulled up "Thank you," he stooped into a bow. "What are you doing here?"

The prince suddenly looked sheepish and looked down at his feet shyly "Actually, I'm supposed to be studying," he mumbled. He looked like a small child who had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar without permission. Wonshik smiled softly and bowed again "Ah, well, your secret is safe with me, sire." Hongbin's face lit up once more and he tilted his head "You're not going to tell mother?"

Wonshik shook his head "Nope. I think it's best I avoid the Queen for a while."

"Look," the young prince sighed "I know she can be... overbearing. But she's not bad." Wonshik's eyes widened and he began to wave his arms furiously to show that wasn't what he had meant. "No, no, sire!" He cried "Of course not! I was merely saying, I don't think she likes me very much." 

"Don't be silly," Hongbin laughed, glancing back down at his book as he twisted it in his hands, rubbing his thumb on the worn leather binding "You've got her all wrong."

Wonshik gave him a halfhearted smile and hummed before deciding to change the subject "Where are the elder princes, your highness?" He asked curiously, linking his hands behind his back. Hongbin pipped up slightly "Ah! Hakyeon is entertaining the Duke and father in the parlour and Taekwoon..." he paused for a second "I believe he is out riding, but I am not sure. Why do you ask?"

"Pure curiosity, nothing more" Wonshik replied flippantly, taking a few steps back "You really should be getting back though, before the Queen realises you're missing."

Hongbin's face dropped in disapointment but he nodded in agreement and let out a tired sigh "You're right. She will worry herself to death if she comes to my room and I'm not there." He sighed again before flashing his signature, dimpled smile "Well, goodbye!"

"Goodbye, my prince" Wonshik bowed.

As soon as Hongbin had left, the peasant his heel and jogged towards the door of the greenhouse, running out across the yard and into the field, forgetting he was still shirtless. He felt some strange compulsion to go and see the second prince, unsure as to why. He leapt over the fence and bolted through the long grass, already able to hear the thundering of hooves in the distance. 

He halted at the top of the hill and huffed as he saw a sillouette galloping freely across the small valley while a smaller shape chased it. Taekwoon. His shirt had been left unlaced and he was without waistcoat or jacket, like the night they had first met. The horse he was chasing was zigzagging round him, and, as he drew closer, Wonshik could see it was holding something in it's mouth.

"Enough games now!" Taekwoon laughed as he finally caught the animal, wrapping his long arms round her neck, pulling his tie from and her muzzle "You are one cheeky pet!" The horse nuzzled his neck afectionately as the prince patted and praised her. After they had finished playing, the steed turned round sharply, sensing Wonshik's movement even with the distance between them. The peasant gasped and hid behind a nearby tree, clutching his heart and biting his lip nervously, hoping Taekwoon wouldn't notice. But he did. 

"Hey!" He called, his smile turning into a confused frown. He took his horse's reins and led her down the hill, his tie wrapped loosely round his other hand. Nobody answered his call and he groaned "I know you're there, show yourself."

Wonshik hesitated, unsure of whether to do so. After all, didn't this count as spying on the crowned prince? But, he supposed owning up was better than trying to hide. Slowly, he stepped out into the light, stooping into a deep bow before he could even make eye contact with the other man "Y- Your highness."

"What do you think you are doing?" Taekwoon asked, his voice serious and chin raised. 

The peasant opened his mouth to asnwer but closed it agin, the words trapped in his throat. He didn't expect Taekwoon to be so cold towards him after dinner the night before. "Well?" The prince asked, tapping his foot on the ground. "I don't like being disturbed."

"S- Sorry, your highness" Wonshik bowed again "Your brother told me I would find you here." 

Taekwoon raised a judging eyebrow "So, you came looking for me? Why?" Wonshik looked down at his toes and kept his mouth shut. The prince sighed deeply "You can't do that, you know. There are rules to be followed." His voice took on a lighter, more gentle tone and the peasant looked up, allowing Taekwoon to continue "I am grateful to you for rescuing me and my brothers, and am happy you are working here. Don't blow it by breaking one of the most basic rules." 

"What about the other night?" 

The prince's eyes widened slightly and he cleared his throat "I- um..." His cheeks became dusted with a dark pink and he suddenly found himself unable to look Wonshik in the eye. The other night... The other night was... an exception? Wrong? Yes, and yes but he found himself unable to say that out loud. It was improper. "It was fun, Wonshik," he smiled soflty "But now we both have jobs to be getting back to."

Wonshik nodded, setting his jaw. Taekwoon felt a small stab of guilt at the crestfallen look on his face. That was until the peasant stepped forward and took the tie from his slack hand, their fingers brushing and sending shock waves up the prince's arm. "I'll take this and get it washed for you, sire," Wonshik promised, flashing a small grin before turning and jogging away. 

Taekwoon watched him go, still in shock. W- Wonshik.

 

Aw, Taekwoooooooniiiiiiiieeeee ^^

Angels, I've made a big decision today. I've decided to extend my creative writing course and do a graded project (EPQ) that will mean I get four final grades instead of three. I have also decided to study Literature and writing at University when I go at the end of next year!!! It took a lot of thinking but I think I'm ready to take the plunge >_<

I need to pick a topic, anything at all from racism to racing, as it were. Any ideas what I could pick? I would need to research it and come up with a peice of writing based on that topic! Please send in your ideas! ^.^