Bridge to their Freedom

Snow White

[Ju created the doctrine; after Chi was crowned as a king, Seol will be henceforth released from the palace and is never to return as a queen Thus, protecting her. Chi made one last offering to Seol, but she politely, yet coldly refused him causing Chi to reluctantly give up on his obsession with her.]

 

The throne room was silent as Ju was sitting on his throne. Jung and Baek-Ah was beside him, looking at Hwangbo siblings with intense look. Wang Chi was standing between his sisters, looking solemn. Seol was with her brothers and her sister-in-law Princess A-Ran. Lady Munhye was with her children, standing gracefully. Ji-Mong was standing below on the king’s left side.

Gyeongjong gestured Ji-Mong who was holding the scroll. Nodding his head, the elder astronomer rolled the scroll open and began to announce the doctrine.

“On the following August, Wang Chi of Hwangbo clan will be crowned as the new king of Goryeo.” He said loudly.

Hwangbo sisters glanced up in shock, then looked at their brother. Chi formed a one-sided smile at the announcement. Then, Ju smirked and called Jung for another doctrine to be revealed, causing others to get confused. Jung proudly opened the scrolls and declared the next doctrine.

“In the beginning of August, Queen Hunui of Yoo clan will henceforth released from the palace and shall never return.”

Queens were panicked to hear as Chi’s eyes grew wide, gritting his teeth as he glared at Ju who was making a smile, revealing the same one his father once made. Lady Munhye almost faint, disbelieved of such good news and A-Ran covered , blinking several tears, comforted by her husband Cheon Chu-Jeon. A-Ji was ecstatic to have his sister leave the palace. Seol’s eyes got wide, unable to believe what just happened. She looked at Ju who only gave her a warm smile.


In the first day of August, queens were gathering inside Seol’s chamber. She was now wearing a simple white hanbok with her hair tied in buns, but has less accessories. Hwangbo sisters were glancing at the packages Seol wrapped and they felt a watery sense in their eyes. Looking at them, Seol patted their head.

“Do not worry,” Seol said with smile, “we could see each other someday. I’ll be fine.”

Young queen Hunjung merely nodded her head. Staring at Hwangbo Su, Seol’s expression grew more soothing.

“I am no longer a queen,” she spoke, “but remember all the things I told you. You are now mother of nation.”

“I’m not ready, yet,” Queen Hunae interjected, “how can I be a great queen without you?”

Seol sighed, but held her friend’s hand.

“Do you love your country?” She asked.

Su nodded her head.

“Do you want to protect people you love?”

Once again, third queen nodded her head yes.

“Then it’s enough…protect our home…it’s your duty now.”

Hwangbo Su bit her lips. For many years she have admired Yoo Seol for her bold, yet graceful and selfless persona, admired by all who know her and she wanted to do what is best for her dear ones. Queen Hunae swore to follow Queen Hunui’s legacy, make Goryeo prosperous and peaceful with no war, no bloodshed.

“Don’t worry, sister,” Su said in determined tone, “you are free from my brother’s grasp…and I’ll make sure of it! So…worry not. I will not let you down. I swear.”

Seol embraced her and younger queen. Hwangbo Seol broke down in tears, still sorrowful with the fact her cousin, her sister-figure and role-model was leaving.

“Seol-ie…be strong…when you are in palace, don’t forget you are walking on an ice. Be careful…”

Queen Hunjung nodded her head as she bit her lip.

Then, they heard the announcement of Wang Chi’s arrival. Replacing with strong expression, Seol let him in. Hwangbo sisters gave their brother a stern look and walked away. Su dragged her sister from him as if Chi was a stranger. Seol stood up and gazed at him with stony eyes, in which causing the heir’s lips twitched, stricken.

“Seol…do you really want to leave?” Chi asked, hiding his shaking voice.

“Yes.” She replied in cold manner.

Wang Chi had realized now, how she looked more healthier and radiant when she wasn’t wearing the majestic robes. It took him long enough to realize how much his sins have caused pain to her. Jealousy and obsession had overtook him, he has nothing different from his father. 

“Seol-ah…,” Chi’s grief-stricken voice called out, “I’m…I’m so sorry…”

Yoo Seol blinked her eyes, unexpected to see the emotion from this man. For a moment, she thought she was seeing young Chi in vision.

“I’ve…never dreamed any of this for you,” he briefly looked way then stared at her, “I seek the throne but I wanted you the most, that was all.”

He walked closer, snapping her back from forever gone memories. Wang Chi looked at her with somehow helpless, but hopeful eyes.

“Listen, there are no hindrance or harm now. I am asking you for the last time,” he spoke in serious tone, “if you say yes, I could stay with you here, us alone… Will you not speak?”

Seol’s eyes changed into emotionless ones. Then, with serene yet icy gaze she began to speak.

“It’s not in the palace I could stay with you,” then she glared at him speaking in quiet but venomous tone, “but in hell…!”

Chi’s eyes become more lost. Seol has rejected him once again, and it was confirmed she did NOT love him, nor see him as a young boy she knew. The man she was watching, was nothing more than a offspring of creatures, a man who broke her parents apart. Heartbroken, he looked down. Holding her package, Seol walked pass him leaving Wang Chi kneeled down silently but heavily exhaled his sorrow as tears escaped in remorse and forlorn.


The funeral for Gyeongjong was processing in Song-Ak but Seol was inside the small yet comfortable palanquin as it moved to the house of Chungju. The door was opened and she got off. Watching her families again, she smiled. Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ji held her hands and helped her stood up. And the next thing, Lady Munhye approached and tightly embraced her stepdaughter tears happily streaming down. Jung tried to calm her as his adoptive daughter was greeted by other families.

The elders embraced their precious girl, happy to see her again. As if they remembered something, the oldest of elders gently grabbed her hand.

“There’s a guest waiting for you!”

“Who?” Seol asked.

Jung, Lady Munhye, Cheon Chu-Jeon, A-Ji, A-Ran smiled as Ji-Mong appeared from the door. She was confused as the astronomer gestured her to go in.

“The heir of Hae Clan is here to meet you again.”

She only blinked her eyes.

“The king’s dead, but he has returned.”

Seol was a bit confused at first, but her eyes were wide as she went inside. Jung and Lady Munhye grinned behind. Yoo Seol splintered inside the hall and saw Hae Yoon waiting for her. She bowed at her with welcoming expression.

“He’s waiting for you,” Yoo said, “inside the parlour.”

Taking a deep breath. She entered as the servants opened the door. As she walked forward, her doe-like eyes met the pair of familiar, yet warm onyx eyes she loved. The man with his hair tied up in knot, wearing the light orange and red robe stood up and smiled radiantly.

“Welcome back.” He spoke.

Shocked but elated, her hands covered as few strays of tears flew.

“Ju-ya…” She managed to blurt her person’s name.

He chuckled heartily as his eyes were also soaked. She dashed forward and they embraced tightly, freed and finally reunited. He accepted her embrace back as he smiled, clenched his teeth to prevent himself from crying happily. Seol wailed as Ju’s holding arms became more tighter, as if fearing they will be separated if he loosened them.

Gyeongjong is dead.

But Ju has returned… and both he and Seol could finally love freely…for all eternity.

 

Note:
YAY! Ju and Seol finally free~!!!! Two more chapters left! …actually chapter 40 is an epilogue…Hope this cheers you up all. Enjoy reading and don’t forget to comment~!