Ice Palace

Snow White

[Ju and Chi finally confronts with the matter of Seol. Chi told Ju to divorce with Seol, but he refused. Seol encountered Hae clan, her mother’s family and its leader, Hae Yoon, who begs for forgiveness for unable to protect her mother. She offered the secret alliance as Seol is Hae Soo’s daughter.]

 

It was late morning and Seol was in the king’s chamber, brewing teas for her husband. Lately, due to his overworking, he coughed and often felt dizzy when waking up. So Queen Hunui prepared some to cease the coughing and to make him feel better. Despite the lack of conversation they were smiling, enjoying each company.

“Prince Chi of Hwangju is here.”

They stopped and watched towards the door which was opened. Ju’s expression grew wary but behaved politely while Seol frowned. Chi was wearing light purple, navy blue hanbok with his head tied in similar way his father had. His polite smile briefly turned to a scowl in envy as he watched Seol and Ju together.

“Greetings to the king and queen.”

They both greeted back. Ju was controlling his anger and welcomed his cousin with facade sweet smile. Seol looked up to see Jung and Baek-Ah.

“Your majesty…the Hae Clan’s Hae Yoon is waiting for you.” Jung said.

Nodded her head, she stood up and let her uncles lead the way but she was worried for Ju. He gave her soothing smile as she left. Ju turned to Chi, forming a poised expression.

“What matter have you come to talk?”

“Queen Hunae is expecting.” Chi said.

Ju squinted his eyebrows.

“It’s been a month,” Chi formed a smirk, “and my sister is doing fine.”

The king’s face turned emotionless.

“Is this what you wanted to talk about, then?” Ju asked coldly.

“I’m afraid not, sire. On the contrary,” he formed the most darkening expression, “I have come to suggest with the matter of Queen Hunui Yoo Seol.”

The young king then glanced at Chi. When his cousin speak of her name, he looked almost longing but it was brief. Ju told him to continue as he spoke.

“The Chungju clan is weakening. They will lack any support to you as much as her majesty wants to help you.”

“And your conclusion is?” Ju asked, raised his eyebrows.

“Divorce with her.”

Ju glared at Chi as he clenched his fists. With his three words, the king made the conclusion. Chi was responsible for the loss of Seol’s child. He was responsible for using Wang Seon to set the lynch. He sold his sisters off to the king as new queens, but in reality they were only Chi’s tools to make his life miserable. Ju then made a bitter, cruel smile same as his father Gwangjong.

“If I refuse?”

Wang Chi’s face grew darkened even more.

“If Seol wants to leave me, then so be it. But, that doesn’t mean you can possess her. She is NOT an object to be possessed.” Ju concluded with scornful voice.

Chi bit his lips, preventing himself from revealing his fury.

“Same goes with a man who tied her to the palace she was forbade to enter,” Chi retorted with cruel scoff, “you should have known earlier why the previous king only let her visit but forbade her to live at the palace.”

“…what?”

“Back when you told your queen mother about her…she almost killed Seol because you revealed her identity carelessly. Just like how my father used her mother to save his skin. And now you had her locked inside this palace that killed Court Lady Hae.”

Ju inwardly scowled. He could feel his chest, his lungs squeezing with pain but he managed to hide it. All of sudden, the door opened as it revealed Queen Hunui whose face was covered with disgust and icy wrath.

“I believe my family matters are none of your concern, Wang Chi.”

Chi turned to see Seol, surprised.

“And so does your sisters’ life,” Seol walked and glared at the king’s cousin, “furthermore…”

Seol grabbed Chi by his collar, surprising Ju. She unleashed the same wrath her father Gwangjong made when he was the infamous “wolf-dog”. The ice in her glare confirmed she will someday have him regret his accusation.

“Stay away from my person.”

Then, she let go of her grasp. Fuming, Chi stood up from the chair and left the chamber. With a slight mocking smile, Jung and Baek-Ah move to the side letting the lad walk away from the king’s room. Ju looked at Seol who was now smiling at him. Judging the enthusiastic emotion, Ju could guess her meeting with Hae Clan has gone well.

Previously when Seol encountered with her mother’s family clan, she was a bit nervous yet slightly offended with their presence. She demanded some explanation but the leader of the clan Hae Yoon suddenly begged for her forgiveness. Although she was still skeptical of them due to their lack of support for her mother long time ago, she offered them a secret alliance to support her, the king, and Chungju clan. Instead of the meeting, they would promise to send letters to one another. She kept remind Hae Yoon it was only a secret alliance and that didn’t meant she could easily forgive him and his clans.


Seol was once again, teaching politics to Hwangbo Su while her sister spend her time with Baek-Ah who was teaching her with instruments. As the time passes, Seol could see her friend’s stomach grew swollen as soon her child will be born. Other time they visited Chungju household to see her brother and her sister-in-law’s child. Their baby was healthy boy and two girls were marvelled to see real infant. Seol embraced Chu-Jeon and A-Ran’s son and helped Su hold him. It didn’t take a long time for everyone to calm her from mood swings for Su had begun crying.

When she helped Su tucked into her bed, she bid her friend goodnight and was about to go to Damiwon when she saw Wang Chi stood, seemingly waiting for her. With slight huff, Seol stuck her nose slightly upward, ignoring him. When she walked pass him, she saw Hwangbo Seol the fourth queen Hunjung and Chi’s wife Lady Moon-Duk.

“Is she asleep?” Hwangbo Seol asked.

Second queen smiled and nodded her head. Noticing the uneasy look on Su’s sister’s expression, she called her inside Damiwon. Queen Hunjung looked down in somewhat shameful demeanor as Seol brewed the tea for her.

“Is there something you want to tell me?”

The youngest Hwangbo sister meekly nodded her head. Seol, with calm smile, let her explain.

“Go on,” Seol said, “there are no ears in this room.”

“Sister…there’s someone I fell in love with…” Queen Hunjung confessed.

Seol frowned.

“…and I don’t know how to handle this feelings in palace..”

Seol sighed as she looked at young queen. She then grabbed Hwangbo’s hand with hers soothingly, yet firmly.

“You need to listen carefully,” she began, “pretend this is the palace made by ice. You need to walk on every step carefully with no cracks. Because the shards will someday strike on you and people you care. Conceal it, don’t feel it. Don’t let it show.”

“But you are strong and everyone obeys you,” Hwangbo Seol said, tilted her head, “you are technically the powerful queen.”

“Sometimes, someone needs to walk on the ice with caution. We do not know the depth of darkness inside so…”

Seol patted the petite queen with motherly smile.

“Don’t let them know.”

With slight courage, Queen Hunjung nodded her head.

“Who is this man that stole your heart?” Seol asked.

Looking around in case no one’s around them, Queen Hunjung whispered in Queen Hunui’s ears. Seol’s eyes grew wide as she heard the name of the man.

 

Note:

Dun-Dun DUN~! Another cliffhanger! I was a bit sick for few days and is getting better. To people who know the history, DON’T say the answer of the man Queen Hunjung loves!