I'm Your Daughter

Snow White

[Gwangjong was stressed that he didn’t gained enough support from Chungju, despite the arranged marriage between Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ran. Seol enters and revealed that she knew what happened when she was at her home-place and why it has occurred. The king expected her to push him away or avoid him, but she told him what he didn’t expected.]

 

In the king’s chamber, Gwangjong sat on his bed, sighed in exhaustion from the court. Even though he had arranged the marriage between Jung’s son, Cheon Chu-Jeon and his daughter, Princess Wang A-Ji, A-Ran, to gain support from Chungju clan, it wasn’t enough. He needed more support and most of the elders refused to support the king. Some says they wanted Seol to marry the crown prince. He growled in anger. ‘As if! I would never let her become a pawn in this hellhole!’ He thought furiously.

Then he heard eunuch’s voice.

“Your majesty, Lady Seol wants to see you.”

Gwangjong frowned. ‘Seol?’ He calmed himself as he let her in. The door opened and Seol was wearing a simple hanbok; white chŏgori, and long magenta skirt with transparent wine-red outer skirt. And her hair was tied back with side bangs braided. She bowed as she entered.

“Seol, is there something you want to tell me in this early night?” The king asked, managed to make a small smile.

Seol remained silent for approximately seconds and he could guess there was something amiss. Her expression had blank, unreadable eyes and simple smile. Seol was a girl who always put up her optimistic and innocent wide smile whenever she visits him. Now, this Seol…she looked as if she had known something he wouldn’t wish she know. She walked towards him and stopped when she was estimately several meters away from him.

“Uncle So…” she began with emotionless tone of her voice rang around the king’s chamber, “there’s something I must tell you.”

Gwangjong was genuinely nervous, even though he hides his anxiety. Instead of calling him in formality, she had referred to him as her uncle, meaning it was something serious, something it bothered her. He didn’t say anything, prompting her to continue.

“I figured out why you killed Queen Daemok when I was young, away from the palace.” She explained grimly.

He would be lying to himself if he said he wasn’t surprised. He could feel his heart stopped for brief short amount of time. With wide eyes, he was glancing at Seol. Sighed, she kept speaking.

“I also know that my father, Wang Jung, is not my real father. And that the man mother truly loved the most, was you.”

Gwangjong averted his gaze away from her. That’s it…now Seol knows that how useless, foolish excuse of father he was to her. How ruthless he was as a man to her mother. ‘Seol…, she must be blaming me for her death…’ Gwangjong thought bitterly, ‘she must be hating me…’ He closed his eyes, as if preparing any condescending, cruel words from her. But nothing came, he looked again to see Seol’s understanding smile.

“As much as I found your methods harsh, I understand you.”

He blinked his eyes.

“…what?”

“But you should know my mother. She wouldn’t want any revenge. You know a lot about her, right?”

Seol was correct. Hae Soo was a woman who wouldn’t want to have revenge on anyone as she was too kind, too compassionate to not letting anyone suffer. Wang So become a cruel ruler, Gwangjong, to get rid of everyone who had harmed her. But he realized now, his revenge, his hatred, his selfishness, were the ones that killed Soo. He still kept regretting over and over. If he had known Soo’s sickness, her pregnancy…he could have changed…

“I still love the Crown Prince and nothing will change that…you refused because you thought I might get hurt but you should remember that I am a strong, fully grown lady.”

Biting his lips, he began skeptically.

“Whether I disagree with you and Ju’s marriage or not, do you really think you could survive this? The cruelty of the palace?”

“I am the ruler of myself. And besides, I am confident with my own life because…now I know who I am.” She said.

“…you do?”

Seol nodded her head. She could see his eyes shaking, as if fearing what will she say. She could feel the tears gathering in her eyes, but she blinked them back as she was able to say what she wanted to say to him. Gwangjong, Wang So, was a scarred man who, within his cold exterior side, wanted the love, the family he was seeking for a long time. Thanks to Soo, he knows what it is to be loved and how to love others. With a large smile, Seol spoke.

“I’m not king’s daughter, however…”

She stopped as she was blinking back her tears.

“I’m Wang So’s daughter.”

Biting his lips, the king’s watery eyes were also blinking. Letting a tear flow, she smiled warmly.

“I’m your daughter…”

“I will not leave you…”

Gritting his teeth and his shoulders shaking, he looked down and trying to stop his tears in vain. Seol slowly approached and had her arms around her father. Now sobbing, his arms were shuddering, hesitant to embrace her back but he hugged his daughter. Now he was able to embrace her not as his niece, but as his daughter.

“I—is it alright…with you that I’m your father?” He asked.

Seol looked at the king, her father, then smiled widely while she let few tears escaped from her eyes. She nodded her head and giggled. The little girl had found her father.

“Stay with me,” she smiled, “…father.”

He nodded his head. After a heavy, shivering sigh, Wang So wailed, embracing his daughter tightly. She buried her head to her father’s embrace, sniffling her sobs and muttering the words he wanted to hear over and over… Despite the tears and sobs released, So managed to smile.

Outside the chamber, the Crown Prince stood on the pillar, lips curling into a heartwarming smiling as he left, leaving the two comfort one another.

 

 

Note:
Did you really get tissues? I actually teared up while I wrote this..