What A Feeling...

Snow White

[Wang Ju wants to improve his archery skills as the king often see him as a weakest being, and Seol teaches him. His feelings for Seol becomes more complicated as they began to know one another even more. Seol helps the princesses with the make-up when she realized Princess Wang A-Ji, nicknamed A-ran, has a romantic feelings for Seol’s brother, Cheon Chu-Jeon.]

 

Ju tsked out of irritation. Once again, his arrow missed the target. He was agitated with his lack of improvements with archery. He drew his arrow again, his arms trembling from overusing his strength, and lets go. The arrow stabbed the wooden board outside the target. 

Growling, he let go of his bows and arrows, gritting his teeth. It’s been years since he started and the king only saw his efforts with disappointment, and he often walk away. One time, Gwangjong harshly told him not to try the archery if he lacks of his talent with it and forced him to go to his room to study. One time, he forced Ju to be the best as a next in line to the throne. The Crown Prince sighed as he missed his times with Baek-Ah outside the palace, disguised themselves as a commoner and painting. In some occasion, Ju bought fruits for the children who didn’t have much money to eat.

Preparing again, he was about to picked up his bows and arrows until he heard a shot behind as the arrow stabbed the target, on the center. Surprised, he turned around to see Seol, with her arrows and bow. She giggled as she walked over.

“I see you were practicing again, your highness.”

Glancing at her arrow that hit the target, he could only sighed.

“I couldn’t win you, Seol. Perhaps, General Jung must have taught you.”

Seol only laughed as her hand reached for his bow and arrows.

“Maybe I could be your teacher for a while.”

Ju scoffed incredulously.

“And why on earth I must accept your offer?”

“You didn’t have a mentor to train your archery skills, right? Besides, it’s only two of us here.” She reasoned with smirk.

Defeated, he obliged as he handed his arrow and bow. She drew the arrow with perfect position. Her elbows folded and drew back as a perfect line while the hand that held the end of the arrow barely touched her chin as an anchor. There was no trembling in her arms and with a quick release, it hit the center. In open-mouthed astonishment, he could only be impressed.

“H—how did you…wha—”

Seol approached and stopped behind him, helping him with positioning the structure of drawing the arrow. She could see his elbows weren’t straight enough to make a perfect line of point at the target as it was upward. Her hand grabbed his folded elbows, correcting it with straightening slightly downward, making a perfect line. Her left hand grabbed his hand where it grasped the bow. When her hand touched his, his hand were slightly shaking unable to hide the pink blush on his cheeks when he tried to ignore his feelings when his eyes were on Seol’s face. 

“Straighten your chest and kept your shoulders relax.” Seol directed as he could only nod his head.

His eyes sparkled as he finally stared at the point of his arrow that was directing towards the center of the target board.

“Inhale as you ready…” He complied as his hand grew tense, “release!”

With a quick speed, the arrow shot and stuck on the target—exact point of the center. The soldier who was holding the white and red flag, raised one shouted “Bull’s eye!”

With an exhale, he formed a proud, appreciative smile, revealing his dimples. Seol laughed along as she saw the arrow that hit on the red spot.

“How’s that?”

“I feel great, to be honest, it’s…” then his eyes were at her doe-like ones, “…breathtaking.”

After several seconds of silence, he looked away hiding his darkening blush as she coughed awkwardly. She let go of his arms and elbow, then heard her brother Cheon Chu-Jeon calling out for her.

“Sister, Princess A-Ji’s looking for you.”

“Okay, I’m coming,” then she looked at Crown Prince, “I will see you later, then.”

He nodded his head as he saw her left. She walked to her brother, unaware of the crown prince’s longing glance. When she reached to Damiwon, Cheon Chu-Jeon bid her goodbye as he went to his father, for his training. The door was opened for her, revealing A-Ran and her sisters.

“Greetings to princesses.”

A-Ran rushed to her, grabbing her hand.

“Seol-Ah! I need your help!”

Seol tilted her head in confusion.

“For what?”

“Can you do the makeup on me?” She asked timidly.

She only nodded her head as the princess dragged her inside. 

Seol brought the makeup sets and began using on A-Ran. She knew about the princess’s tomboyish nature, yet she was curious what made her ask such task she didn’t ask usually. This could be mean only one thing…

“Do you have someone in your heart, princess?”

Her question caused A-Ran stiffened. ‘I knew it…’ Seol thought with playful smirk when A-Ran meekly nodded her head.

“And who the lucky man who won your heart?”

A-Ran looked at her sisters, who stifled their laugh and Bo-Hwa spoke up too loud.

“She has a crush on Cheon Chu-Jeon!”

Seol nearly dropped her brush. She looked at the first-born princess, demanding some explanation. But her blush explained everything. She only smiled, imagining A-Ran with her brother Chu-Jeon together.

“Since when?”

A-Ran fiddled her fingers shyly.

“Since he came to Song-Ak last Autumn. I just saw him riding horse, and…umm..that’s when I began to like him.” The princess replied, kept looking down.

They all gasped and Seol looked at her sisters and made a mischievous smile, nodding their head in unison.

“Ready, girls?”

Bo-Hwa and Moon-Duk nodded their head vigorously.

“One…, two…, three….!” They exhaled loudly.

Baek-Ah, Jung and the king walked pass by and heard the ladies’ biggest squeal that reached Damiwon. Three men looked at each other, alarmed and peeked over, only to find the princesses and Seol jumping in euphoria.

“It’s like my dream come true!!!! It’s SO ROMANTIC!” Princess Bo-Hwa screamed happily.

“Princess and the soldier! Oh my god, talk about love story!” Moon-Duk added.

“I can’t breath! I’m SO excited I’M DYING!” Seol jumped and shook A-Ran’s hand.

Jung, Baek-Ah and Gwangjong sighed as they all rolled their eyes, smiling. And they all walked away, rushing to the throne room.

“It’s a new thing, and I do not know how to approach him…” A-Ran muttered.
Seol finished the makeup quickly, shoving the mirror stand.

“Try approach to him with new looks. Compliments from him could lead to a casual talk.” Bo-Hwa suggested.

Seol brought the books from her shelf, revealing the fairytale story books her mother made before she was born.

“Study with this for now…this has a lot of love story involved with princess…I don’t know about this whole issues but I hope it works…”

Seol remembered her brief time with Ju at the archery field. When she had helped him with position and let him work, she couldn’t help but remember his steadfast, broad posture, intense gaze and—she bit her lips and brushed off as she cleaned up the sets as the princesses left the room, leaving her rest.


The dinner was began with Seol, Jung, Lady Munhye, Baek-Ah, Cheon Chu-Jeon, A-Ji, the king, princesses, Hwangbo sisters, Wang Chi, and Crown Prince Ju. Lady Hunsook caught a cold, so she couldn’t join the dinner. 

Seol barely touched her food as her hand was holding the spoon, but she didn’t eat the steamed rice. Her eyes carefully and secretly met Ju’s, whose eyes were already on her. He flashed her a smile, showing his dimples. Seol simply looked away, catching Baek-Ah’s attention, who was sitting beside her.

“Seol, are you okay?” he whispered at her so no one could hear.

“It’s fine…I was a bit tired…” Seol whispered back.

Noticing her rather gloomy expression, the king used his chopstick as he picked her favorite beef and put on her bowl of rice. She looked up and saw her uncle, Wang So, smiled warmly at her.

“You and I share same favorite food,” the king said as Seol bowed stiffly, “eat up.”

Seol thanked her uncle, and eat the beef, remorsefully thinking herself she was making people worry about her.


After dinner, she tried to sleep but she couldn’t.

“What’s wrong with me today? Don’t tell me that I—no way, he’s married! I’m being delusional today, that’s it…” She mumbled.

Little did she knew, outside her chamber. Crown Prince Ju glanced at her window with unreadable expression, then keeping his conflicted feelings he turned away walking back to his chamber.