Keys to the Freedom

Snow White

[Ju was suffering from lung disease, in which worsening his health. Seol, who was known for her excellent acknowledgement with medics, managed to heal him but it will take a long time to completely heal him. Jung found the doctrine made by Ju, that he has abdicated his throne to Chi and another one that would set her free from Chi’s obsession.]

 

It was July of his sixth year reign. Gyeongjong’s disease had become worse and was forced to stay in his chamber to recover as what the physician said. Not only that, due to his frequent absence at the court, the palace spread the wrongly proved rumors of the king being obsessed cavorting with commoners when in reality, he was going out to contribute the supplies, feeding the poor.

Ju was sitting on his bed, wearing white robes. Heavy bags under his eyes, he was looking at the paper and the brush on the table. Staring on the black sheet, his mind was filled with mind games on what would he do with the throne and his own conditions. When he think of Seol, his eyes grew softened, the the point of melancholy.

‘I might die sooner or later…and I might leave her all alone…’

He closed his eyes, remembering his first encounter with Seol. He was only young little boy, enraptured by her singing voice. She was the only girl who sees him not as a royalty, but as a humankind. And after long years of her absence, it made his heart grew fonder. But when he began to love her, he realized he was bringing more pain to her when they were in palace.

‘Anyone will harm my person when they get the chance…’

Then, he gently reached for the brush, soaked it with black ink and began to write his last decrees as the king.


Seol returned with the medical herbs and ingredients for the cure, she went straight to royal physicians asking if all of them could help. She had gathered pears, Chinese bellflower, ginseng, peppermints, and citrons. Luckily, the doctors confirmed as long as he consumes them he will be completely healed along with the medicines he prescribed for the king.

She held the different type of medical teas she brewed and brought to the king’s chamber. The door opened and she saw Jung, Hwangbo Sisters, Princesses, Seol’s brothers, and Ju. Judging by the look of his face, she could see he had just woke up from his sleep. Sighed, she put the tray on the table and handed a one cup to him and served with a tea. He accepted as he took a sip, noticing the sour yet sweet taste. It was a tea made by medical herbs along with pears and citrons.

“Did you…,” his raspy yet lightened voice spoke, “brewed all of them?”

Seol nodded her head. She urged him to rest as he take another drinks of them. Miraculously after two weeks, he was recovering but it would take long time to complete the healing. However, Ju insisted the physicians not to tell his condition to anyone other than Jung, Seol, his sisters and A-Ran’s husband.


When Gyeongjong summoned Ji-Mong, Jung and Baek-Ah, they all presented to the king’s room. With determined expression, Ju handed one scroll to Ji-Mong. The astronomer accepted as he opened the scroll revealing the first doctrine and his eyes grew wide.

“I hereby abdicate my throne to Wang Chi of Hwangbo after my death.”

“S—sire, this…”

“I know…I know it is time…,” then he handed another scroll to Jung, “this is in case if he tries to do something to Seol.”

Jung cautiously accepted and unraveled the scroll. His eyes grew widened also out of surprise, but at the same time relief. Ju smiled as Jung bowed.

“We will accept your command.”

For the first time in his life, he couldn’t remember how relieved and elated Jung’s voice was. Baek-Ah smiled along, a few tears escaping as he embraced his brother’s shoulder.


When Jung and Baek-Ah went to the conferencing chamber, they weren’t sure what to do. The king has already given up his throne for Seol. Wang Song was too young, and the only successor was Ju’s relative Wang Chi. Cheon- Chu-Jeon and Princess A-Ran went to their chamber after they read the letter sent by Jung.

“I heard what happened in the palace.” Princess A-Ran said.

“Is it true, that his majesty abdicated his throne?” Chu-Jeon asked in disbelief.

Baek-Ah and Jung only nodded their head. A-Ran unconsciously sitting on the chair, worried for both her brother and Seol. If Chi becomes the king, it will ben doubt he will kept Seol as his prisoner, or as his queen. She knew Seol was suffocating from the life in palace. 

“What should we do? Chi would never stop until he gets what he wants.” Princess A-Ran shrieked in fear.

“What?” Jung and Baek-Ah stared at her.

Then, the door opened, revealing princess Moon-Duk, who was also Chi’s wife.

“Wang Chi…, he have been harbouring his obsessive desire for Queen Hunui Yoo Seol.” Moon-Duk replied in firm tone.

This caused the shockwave on everyone.

“Say…WHAT?!”

“Chi also loves Seol but it become an unhealthy obsession,” then her expression turned pained, worried for her friend and her brother, “I love Seol as much as I love my sisters, but I do not know what she feels when she’s with him.”

Jung growled in anger for he had finally realized. Chi was responsible for the lynch. He was responsible for Seol’s miscarriage. He was also using his sisters as his pawn to make Ju and Seol’s life hell.

“That bastard…,” Jung roared in wrath, “I swear if he lay a finger on our precious little princess, I will—”

Luckily, Baek-Ah calmed him down. All of sudden…

“Do not worry,” Ji-Mong came in such impeccable time, “I, Choi Ji-Mong, got a plan.”

He held another scroll and revealed to all. Their look of concern replaced with shock, then relief. Then Cheon Chu-Jeon made an idea.

“Call the Hae clan.”

Everyone turned to him.

“The Hae Clan and our family has strong alliance. Currently, they are owning a northern land district, bringing the former wealth and honor back. Perhaps they could help Ju and sister.”

Looking at one another, then Jung embraced his son tightly.

“Son, you are a GENIUS!”

A-Ran kissed Chu-Jeon’s cheeks, thanking him over and over for they had finally found the way to save Ju and Seol. Moon-Duk smiled genuinely happy for Seol and Ju’s soon-to-be freedom. Jung looked up to the window where the moon radiantly glowed than usual.

‘Soo…finally…I can finally fulfil your wish…’

Baek-Ah smiled as he looked at the moonlight. Deceased, but always beloved Soo and So will finally have their remorse, their fear, will be gone soon.


Seol was returning to her chamber from the court as her husband Ju was still recovering. She was thinking of making another medical teas for him until she stopped at the door, noticing the man with white robes. His hair was tied up in knot, but he was wearing a red and white jinja mask. She squinted her eyes as the dizziness blurred her vision.

“Your majesty?” Seol walked slowly, “are you feeling well now?”

She stopped as she was close to the man. But her expression turned grim and as she tried to step back, one arm prevented her from walking away. Hurriedly, Seol took off the mask from the man’s face, who was none other than—

“…Chi…,” Seol growled, “you again…”

Pushed his arms away, she let herself go. Chi smiled in scoff.

“How did you know it was me?”

“Your eyes…,” Seol replied in grave tone, “and perhaps…a married woman’s intuition.”

By hearing the word “married woman”, Chi’s eyes briefly twitched, but regained his calm demeanor, adding with confidence.

“I see you haven’t heard the king’s last decree,” Seol looked up at him and he continued then, “he abdicated the throne to me.”

Seol’s eyes got wide. Chi took his step closer to her.

“From now on…I am no longer nephew of previous king, nor a child of failure excuse of my father,” Chi was now close to the distance with her, “I will give this wretched kingdom the king it deserves.”

His voice grew venomous, but velvety even more. As he finished his sentence, he slowly slithered his arms around her, dragging Seol close and tight. The queen stood silent, finding his somewhat ambition and temptation pathetic, or pitiful.

“If you are so sure you are better then Eighth prince Wang Wook, your father,” Seol began, “will you abandon your ambition for me?”

Chi then released his arms from her, glanced at her with unease. Seol’s half-lidded eyes caught the pressure point of him and she formed a bone-chilling smile.

“I told you once…when my mother once offered the hand to your father, he chose the throne and used their long gone love as an excuse.”

Her eyes glared daggers at him, releasing her wrath.

“You are no different from your father.”

Then she left the chamber, leaving Chi fuming.

 

Note:
Omg, omg OMG!!! It’s close to the end!!! Couple more chapters left! What plan will they form to set Ju and Seol free? Wait and see! Enjoy reading and tell me what you feel~!!!