Aftermath of the Truth

Snow White

[After vision, she hid inside her room and Ju, who was worried for her, came and admit the truth of his mother’s death. He questioned her opinions about the king, but she replied with something he didn’t expect from her.]

 

Two weeks passed, and nobody had seen Seol outside the palace. She spent the weeks inside her room, made an excuse that she felt suddenly sick. She didn’t let anyone visit her as she didn’t want to see them for a while. She no longer eat dinner with her family, with princesses, Ju,…with the king. Baek-Ah and Jung went to the Astronomer Tower, seeking for a reason. Choi Ji-Mong replied Seol didn’t prepared much but it won’t took long to accept and move on from the past. Angered, Jung shook him.

“WHY? WHY DID YOU TELL HER?”

Baek-AH tried to calm his brother, separating them. Remained his calmness, Choi Ji-Mong stayed reasonable.

“Keeping the secret from her doesn’t help. She needed to know. You know her as a father. She wasn’t prepared, but she is a woman who’s willing to accept and confront, move on from the past.”

As much as they want to retort, they knew Ji-Mong was right. They couldn’t keep secrets from her anymore. She was no longer an innocent child. She was growing up. Like a blooming butterfly, escaped from its cocoon, prepared to fly away towards whatever the fate awaits.


Damiwon was in complete mess as everyone was in front of Lady Seol’s chamber. Jung, Baek-Ah, and the king approached. Lady Munhye noticed their presence and came towards them.

“Oh, I was just looking over for you!”

“Munhye, what’s going on?” Baek-Ah noticed the empty room, “what happened?”

Lady Munhye knelt in front of them, looking down.

“She’s still there. She hasn’t eaten anything for three days.”

“WHAT?!” King yelled.

“Forgive me, your majesty…she told me she wanted to be alone but when I come back, she locked the door.”

Little did they knew, Crown Prince Ju was listening along with her sisters. Concerned, A-Ran gestured her brother to do something. In which, he decided to. He walked towards them and greeted, not looking at the king.

“Crown Prince,” Baek-Ah called, “please help her.”

Ju nodded his head and walked to the door, knocking.

“Seol, it’s me. Open the door.” He called out.

After a few seconds of silence, the door was slightly opened, revealing Seol. Her eyes were dark with bloodshot, indicating she didn’t get enough sleep. She looked at the crown prince, letting him inside her room.

“Only crown prince can enter…” Seol reminded stiffly as she closed the door when he entered.

They were sitting at the bed in silence. Ju couldn’t say anything as Seol brewed the tea.

“Why did you lie?” She asked.

Ju looked up and saw Seol’s questioning look. It didn’t took him a long time to realize what she was imploring. His eyes grew dark also, seemed apologetic at the same time.

“You found out, didn’t you?”

Seol nodded her head. Ju sighed then began to explain.

“I know how you always have been close to the king and how he have showered you with affection. If I tell you the truth, I was concerned if you will think different about him. I know how much he cares about you to stop my mother’s greed.”

Seol stared back at him.

“Y—you knew his majesty would kill her?”

“As much as I care about my mother, I’m also tired of her greed, and revenge she attempted. Now that I think about it, if he didn’t kill her, you wouldn’t be able to come back here at palace.” Ju formed a smile.

She saw his failed attempt to comfort her. As much as she was thankful, she felt the guilt that she might have gave him such trauma that broke him and his father, the king, apart.

“I also knew how your mother wanted to stop all the bloodshed that happened in the palace. I learned from your father how much your mother cared for everyone and you. She was willing to understand but the previous king’s and other’s greed had killed her slowly. And I’m nothing but the reminder of how my mother’s greed and hatred has also killed her.” Ju said bitterly his lips were twitching, “now you must be hating me and the king..because you hate such bloods and fights happened here.”

“No…I don’t hate or blame both of you.”

Her reply took him off guard.

“You don’t?”

“I’ll try to forgive him, but I understand him. I guess my mother did something great for him that he pampered and spoiled me. If I blame or hate, it will cause more pain for all of us and I might ruin the relationship between the king and you.”

The crown prince blinked his eyes, surprised by her forgiving nature. He formed an appreciative smile.

“Just until the afternoon, I need some time alone…” Seol begged.

“I understand. After that, why don’t we go outside and disguise ourselves as a commoner or have dinner as a family tonight? Just like we used to do when we were kids? A little sports wouldn’t kill.” He suggested with wide smile.

Seol smiled along.

“I’d like that.”


Jung and Baek-Ah was leaning on the door, trying to listening to their conversation. Even the princesses were curious. With the door opened, Ju came out.

“She needs a little time,” then Ju directed to the court ladies, “prepare the meals for her.”

The three court ladies bowed as they went back to the kitchen. Jung and Baek-Ah sighed in relief. Before the king could reach to the door, the Crown Prince blocked the way much to everyone’s confusion. Gwangjong glared at his son.

“What are you doing?” Gwangjong’s frown deepened, “move aside.”

“Your majesty,” Ju raised his voice, “I said she needs a little time alone. Please, understand.”

The silence dangerously loomed around Damiwon. Jung and Baek-Ah was a bit surprised as the princesses could only glanced at their brother. Even the court ladies were froze on the spot. They had never seen the Crown Prince raised his voice to his father, let alone, the king. Gwangjong took off guard at his son’s sudden change of behavior. Ju was always a boy who used to cowered in fear when he was around, but the Crown Prince seemed different. He finally had a heart to confront his father.

With heavy sigh, the king acknowledged.

“Fair enough.”

Then, the king left. Ju found himself surprised he had just confronted his father, the king who had caused bloody purge. The man who caused the trauma of his life. But when he remembered his promise with Seol, he smiled.

“Let’s go.” He told his sisters and left.

Ju left Damiwon, leaving Baek-Ah and Jung froze, looking at one another with confusion and shock. They took a brief glance at Seol’s door, then they departed too. Choi Ji-Mong who have been witnessing them all along, smiled in satisfaction as he walked to his tower.

“Thank you, Lady Seol…for staying with the Crown Prince…”