The Stone Tower

Snow White

[Lately, Seol noticed Ju taking a walk in Dongji lake. When Ju left again, Seol decide to spy on him. As they arrived, Ju revealed the stone tower where he built it for her mother, Hae Soo. He prayed and as if Soo was with them, he told everything Seol did for him and everyone, especially the king who missed her.]

 

“Uncle Baek-Ah, have you seen the Crown Prince?”

Baek-Ah shook his head no, as he went back from teaching Hwangbo Su with his instrument. Seol went to the princesses and asked where Ju went, but they all don’t know where he was. Even his brothers doesn’t know where the crown prince went.

“Hwangbo Su, have you seen Crown Prince?” Seol asked.

“No, I haven’t.” Hwangbo Su answered.

Then they heard someone approaching to the archery field. Wang Chi entered with his prim smile, wearing his light blue training suit.

“Hello, Seol,” He greeted, “what brings you here today?”

Seol greeted back.

“I came to look over for Crown Prince…” She replied.

His smile faded slightly.

“Oh…,” then he decided to reply, “I’ve seen him going to Dongji Lake recently.”

Seol managed to thank him and left the field, unaware of Chi’s unreadable expression. She went to the gate of Song-Ak, but stopped by her two fathers.

“And where do you think you’re going, young lady?” Gwangjong smiled.

Seol forgot ever since her last birthday, the king didn’t let her go outside freely, fearing that she will cause more troubles, or she might sneak outside with the Crown Prince. She forgot how overprotective his biological father was.

“Why don’t you go to Damiwon? A-Ran and Lady Hunsook is waiting for the makeup session with you.” Jung said with smile.

Groaning, she tried to use her small tantrum, whining. Even though her “pouty face” ALMOST got them, the king still said no. She hung her head in defeat and gloomily walking towards the chamber where two ladies were waiting for her.

“Hello, Seol…” then Lady Hunsook noticed her expression, “is there something wrong?”

Seol tried to deny, but A-Ran was too quick to see.

“Come now…don’t make me use my Princess Chop* on your head again~.”

Lady Hunsook giggled as Seol frowned with her lips pouty.

“I haven’t seen Crown Prince lately… I wonder why he went off to the lake…and he didn’t let me follow him.”

It seemed that two ladies know why he went to the lake as they try to change the subject as they reassured her he will tell her someday why he went to Dongji lake in secret.

It’s been a week and Seol always saw Ju going outside frequently, to Dongji lake, and came back with his hands dirty. Out of curiosity, she came to ask him but he often replied it was a secret and would tell her until he was finished. His explanation caused her to become for curious. Since seven days had passed, it was time she would ask once again to figure out what he was hiding.

She saw Ju sneaked outside and began to follow him to his way to the lake, wondering what he was hiding from her. When they reached to their destination, she noticed the small dim of lights afar. She  hid behind every tree walked close to the source of light and her eyes grew widened. Many stone towers were built around the large tree as a small temple and had each top layered with refined candles. Ju smiled sadly as he put one stone on one last tower he made.

She looked at the crown prince, who closed his eyes and had his hands clutched together praying. He look serene and calm, just like a saint figure. He quietly spoke to himself…more like…he was talking to her mother.

“Lady Soo…are you watching her? Seol’s doing fine…she has many protectors now and she’s much more healthy. She studies, trains well and become a great lady. Now she is growing up and is leading her own life with no troubles…you don’t need to worry…”

Seol kept listening, remained speechless. He spent his days and night just to build them for her. He came back with his hands all dirty, or had them bruised. He built them because he knew Hae Soo, her mother, was worried for her. He built this tall stone towers for Seol’s well-being, inwardly feared for her life in palace. Even though he knew she was strong-willed and intelligent, he sometimes saw her as a girl whose mother and father loved the most.

“Ever since she came, everyone has changed. Even they told me I was. I was a cowardly boy who avoids my father, but your daughter helped me forget and get rid of any haunting thoughts I have kept inside me. She gets along with everyone and…she mend the king’s pain too.”

Seol bit her lips, preventing her tears from streaming down.

“The king, Seol’s father,…he misses you so much. Your last piece, your daughter Seol managed to wash his misery away. It was something I couldn’t do. He still misses you, but he cares for his daughter and spoiled her a lot. Thanks to his affection, Seol become strong and smart…she also has tremendous appetite…” Ju muttered with chuckle, “like I said, she’s doing fine, and I hope that someday you will forgive my families, princes, and my mother…”

He let his hands released and opened his eyes. With warm smile, he was bidding Seol’s mother goodbye.

“If you finished watching, come show yourself to your mother.”

Seol jumped in surprise. Ju knew she was following him behind. Bashfully, she came out from the tree behind him. Ju smiled and gestured with his hand to come over. She was now standing next to him, watching the stone towers. She took a brief glance at Ju’s hands and saw his finger cut She reached for his hand and used her handkerchief to wash away the little blood.

“Thank you for building them in my mother’s behalf…but try not to get any cuts.” Seol said.

Ju only managed to smile.

“What else did you tell to mother?” Seol asked.

He sighed as he think, then spoke.

“I have told her your likes and dislikes. Activities you enjoy, your time at the palace. I even told her your role as Bangsangshi and your sixteenth birthday, including your first hunt.” He replied as he grinned, raising his eyebrows.

Seol flushed as he told everything about her life since she returned to the palace.

“We could come here anytime you want to see your mother.” Ju said, remaining his comforting smile.

Moved by his kind offering, she nodded her head and they head back to the palace with their hands held together.

 

Note:

In chapter 14, A-Ran used her hand to “chop” Seol’s head because she was angry at Seol for making up a lie to avoid Ju as she demand why Seol wanted to avoid him.