Gesture of Resistance

Snow White

[The royal astronomer Choi Ji-Mong returned to tell Jung and Baek-Ah the foretelling future that involves with Seol. Jung asked his daughter whether she loves Ju, in which she denies, and warned her to stay away from the Crown Prince. To make the matter worse, Seol lied to Ju, which it broke his heart.]

 

Jung and Baek-Ah was going up to the Astronomer tower, reminiscing their memories of youth, where all of their brothers gathered around. Yo and Wook often read the same books, Jung and Eun ran around the played, Baek-Ah had painted a lot of drawings, Won would bother the astronomer to know about alchemy, and So would have been sat on the chair, presumably sleeping with smile.

They arrived at the tower, but stopped as they saw an oh-so familiar man watching the moonlight. The man was elderly, but he was definitely him whom they known him many years ago. He turned around and smiled.

“Long time no see, your highnesses.”

Baek-Ah and Jung’s eyes ere wide with their mouth hung opened.

“Ji-Mong!”

The elderly Choi Ji-Mong smiled, then turned grim as he was back to tell them an urgent matter.

“Why and how did you come back here?” Baek-Ah asked hastily.

“Gentlemen, I’ve come to tell your something,” then he looked at Jung, “a future, that is, involved with Lady Seol.”

They all asked in unison; “What will happen to her?” “Will she be alright?” “Will something happen to Seol?” Choi Ji Mong sighed as he explained everything, not bothered by their pale, perplexed expression. As he finished explained, Choi Ji-Mong warned them.

“The king does not know I’m here, but Lady Seol, she needs to prepare the upcoming, once  again, impending game of succession.”

Baek-Ah and Jung glanced at one another, worried for their Seol.


In Cheonduk-Jeon of Palace, Seol had finished serving teas for Lady Gyeonghwagung and Lady Munhye, who had finished teaching princesses etiquette and politic lessons. She was leading back to Damiwon and saw her father with uncle Baek-Ah. They came to her as she approached.

“Seol, could we talk?”

She only nodded as she followed them inside her chamber. Baek-Ah closed the door as Jung and Seol sat down at the chair.

“What is it that you want to talk about?” Seol asked.

Jung bit his lips, contemplating for a while then began to speak.

“Seol, you need to listen carefully of what I say…,” Jung began with serious expression, “you remembered I told you long time ago your uncles used to fight for grandfather’s throne, right?”

Seol only nodded her head. She remembered several years ago when she asked where her uncles were before she was born. Jung told her some of then used to fight for the throne and get each other’s throat. Thankfully, her uncle So was there to stop the conflict. That was the reason why her mother was dying back then. Her mother Hae Soo wanted them to stay alive, but they didn’t listen and that’s why it—or their greed, hatred—had killed her. And furthermore, Seol hated politic games for the throne because she believes it causes people to lose their morality. She hated the fact that they treat Goryeo as a property, instead of their home.

“The war for the throne, the succession, in not over and you need to either prepare to confront it, or stay out of it.”

Seol didn’t say anything, but her emotions were full of conflicts, repulsion and disgust revived from her heart. She wanted the fight to stop. So that her mother could rest in peace.

“And how can I stay away from it?” Seol cautiously asked.

Jung and Baek-Ah was silent for a while, then her father finally warned.

“Stay away from the Crown Prince.”

She blinked her eyes.

“If you stay with the crown prince, the rumors will spread about you and him, and who knows someone will use it as an advantage to harm you. Sometimes, you uncle, his majesty, couldn’t protect you anytime.”

“I know,” Seol cut off, “I do not wish to bring him any burdens. I’m fully grown woman now. Besides, I don’t want to cause any trouble to the crown prince…”

Jung only nodded his head in understanding. Baek-Ah walked over.

“Then let me ask you one thing,” Baek-Ah spoke carefully as he looked around the room in case someone might listen, “do you, by any chance, have feelings for the Crown Prince?”

Seol blinked her eyes again as she could feel her body stiffened, but she quickly regained her composure.

“I only see him as my family…my friend…nothing else.” Seol said with serious tone.

Baek-Ah almost sighed out of relief.

“I see.”

“I understand you and the crown prince Ju get along as a friend, but remember, stay cautious around you,” Jung warned, “make up any excuses or lies to keep both you and him safe. Even if means it might hurt him in some way.”

Confused with his enigmatic warning, Seol only listened as she dismissed herself need some time to think for a while. When she walked around, she heard the court ladies whispering and gossiping.

“Did you see Crown Prince today?”

“Yes, he seemed elated when he’s with our Lady Seol.”

“Did you see the way he looked at her?”

“Of course! To be honest, they seemed really close together…”

“Shush! Lady Seol’s coming!”

The court ladies all bowed at Seol, who greeted them back with smile. As she walked pass them, she heard their whisperings not as a manner of enthusiasm, but as in more of suspicion. Remembering her father’s last words, she decided to take a drastic measure to protect herself and people she cares the most.


A week later…

“Crown Prince, Lady Seol’s here to see you.”

Ju was brightened at the announcement as he let her in. Baek-Ah and Jung could see his expression and they couldn’t help but feel guilty inside. The door was opened and Seol greeted him with courtesy.

“Greetings to Crown Prince.”

“Hello Seol,” then Ju gestured with his hand towards her to enter, “I haven’t seen you in Damiwon for a week. Were you sick?”

Seol could merely nodded her head. In truth, she was at Hwangju residence and spent her time with Hwangbo sisters and serving tea for their grandmother, Dowager Queen Hwangbo. Ju have countless things he wished to speak with her, but for some reason, when he met her he confirmed himself he wouldn’t be able to say anything.

He noticed the grim expression from Seol and seemed concerned.

“Is everything alright? You never came to tell me and my sisters stories from outside the palace, I’ve been worried…”

Seol took a brief glance at Baek-Ah and Jung’s eyes, then steadily she spoke.

“Thank you for your concern. I was afraid I might have been lack of eloquence, but I will tell many someday.”

Ju only nodded his head with his charming smile.

“Alright, I understand.”

“I would like to speak with you outside, there’s something I would like to tell you first.”

He agreed as they stood up and went to Damiwon. The court ladies bowed at them as they moved to the side, letting them walk passing by.

Seol stopped and signalled her father and uncle Baek-Ah, telepathically telling them she needed to say something in private with him. As if they understood her, they excused themselves and take there leave. But as they left Ju’s chamber and the door was closed, they stopped as they decided to listen the two’s conversation.

Seol brewed Ju’s favorite tea and gave him a cup. He took a sip and smiled in satisfaction.

“Your teas are brilliant as usual.”

“Thank you.”

“Now, what is it that you wanted to tell me in private?” He asked as he put his teacup down.

Baek-Ah and Jung leaned their ears to the door, listening their every word. Seol’s eyes grew a glimpse of remorse, sorrow for a short time, then become determined, serious.

“Forgive me, your highness. There was a real reason why I was absent for a week.”

“And what that reason might be?” He asked, suddenly felt uneasy.

Seol inhaled, then exhaled as she began.

“I was occupied with arranged courtship.”

The everything became silent. Baek-Ah and Jung froze. Even though they knew it was a lie, but they didn’t expected something…unexpected. Even the court ladies stopped at what they were doing as some of them gasped at such news, some of them glanced at the Crown Prince with sympathetic look. Ju’s smile faded instantly as his lips twitched. His hands that touched his cup was trembling. He blinked his eyes once, twice, over and over…

“…I see…,” He forced himself to smile again despite his shaking voice, “wh—who’s this fortunate man…?”

Seol kept silent as she closed her eyes, provoking Ju’s almost untamed emotions of heartache, anger, and jealousy. He bit his lips, unable to press his melancholy, his envy, his wrath…he abruptly stood up from his seat.

“I—I will see you again, then…”

Alarmed, Baek-Ah and Jung quickly hide as the door burst opened, revealing the crown prince who angrily walked away, blinking his tears back. Baek-Ah and Jung looked at Seol who stared at them with empty eyes. The same eyes her mother had when she had suffered the reign of Gwangjong, the death of Prince Eun and his wife, Park Soon-Duk. Her eyes could tell she was tired, as if they asked her father and her uncle “Are you all satisfied now?”