Raging Confrontation, Leaking Truth

Snow White

[The confrontation between Gwangjong and the Crown Prince Ju intensifies. Believing that Ju had tainted his daughter Seol, the king attempted to kill him but stopped by her. Out of sudden hallucination, Gwangjong sees his beloved person in her, thus leaving Seol questioning her birth and identity.]

 

Earlier morning…

The mysterious man who spied on Ju and Seol, the representative of Shinju clan was in the throne room. He was sent by the king to watch over the two, out of suspicion. When the elder saw what he didn’t expect he immediately went back to the throne room. Baek-Ah and Jung was also with Gwangjong and noticed the man’s presence.

“Greetings to the king.” The elder of Shinju greeted, unable to hide the quivering fear in his voice as the king’s eyes were pierced on him.

“Is there something you want to tell me? Or…” then Gwangjong’s half-lidded eyes were glaring, “you’re hiding something…”

If his tone of the voice could kill, he would have sent the blizzard around the throne chamber since Jung and Baek-Ah already gulped, concerned and anxious. The man was now shivering.

“I have witnessed Lady Seol and the Crown Prince today…”
Hearing the two from the man caused Jung and Baek-Ah tense. They all glanced at the king.

“…and?” The king inquired.

The elder of the clan was hesitating whether his words would anger the king or not. He was aware of how the king dotes on Lady Seol and was often preventing her from meeting any man unless she was allowed to. It was unusual for the lady to secretly meeting the man, let alone, the Crown Prince Wang Ju.

“The Crown Prince…he asked for her hand in marriage.”

The dead silence flew over the chamber. Despite the warm sunlight that reflected onto the window, the chamber was filled with icy atmosphere. Jung and Baek-Ah’s eyes were wide and carefully glanced at Gwangjong. His eyes were wide, but his lips were twitching. He was struggling with keeping his composure as the veins formed from his forehead. With a large inhale and exhale, he managed to restrain his temper, for now.

“Where’s he?”

The man jumped but replied nonetheless.

“The Crown Prince is in Damiwon. Currently, he is waiting for lady Seol with Hwangbo Su, and Hwangbo Seol.”

Keeping his dead eyes, Gwangjong dismissed the man as the elder almost scurried away afraid of the king’s outburst. When the man left, the king lost it. His clenching fist slammed on the table, growling ferociously as Jung and Baek-Ah flinched.

“Your majesty…surely you would understand how Seol gets along with Crown Prince…we never know her answer, yet.” Baek-Ah tried to calm his brother.

“And you all didn’t tell me about this…?!” Gwangjong literally roared.

“Seol wanted us to keep it secret…,” This time Jung added, “she didn’t want you to scold the crown prince.”

But their words didn’t work as the king, Gwangjong’s eyes briefly turned dead, then formed a malicious glint in his eyes. The same eyes when he murdered his queen Daemok, Hwangbo Yeon-Hwa many years ago.

“Jung,” he began, “sent your soldiers to bring the crown prince and the granddaughters of Hwangbo…lock Cheonduk-Jeon and don’t let them escape…”

Jung’s eyes were wide at his command. Baek-Ah silently sighed, fearing what will happen next and finding no use to make reasons with Gwangjong. The king was already consumed with wrath, hatred, and revenge.

“That witch took Hae Soo away…and now the sorry excuse of her son is TAINTING MY DAUGHTER!!!” Gwangjong gritted his teeth.


The sun sets as the palace become quiet. In the throne room, the Hwangbo sisters and the Crown Prince was locked inside, facing the king’s wrath. Hwangbo Su was holding her sister tightly shivering with fright, but Ju remained self-controlled, calm, and less frightened. He remained poised, even though the soldiers surrounded outside the throne room, heavily guarded. Ju looked up at the king, who he once referred as father.

“Crown Prince Wang Ju,” the king spoke, “the rumors of you and Seol was already exposed to the palace and yet you continue to taint her.”

Ju raised his eyebrows at his accusation.

“Taint her?”

“Yes…you should have know why your mother was executed for her crime…”

“I would never plan to taint Seol.” Ju cut off, frowning.

The king’s eyes pierced through Ju’s.

“And what are your intentions on her?”

The crown prince, then, planted a smile.

“I love Lady Seol,” Ju admitted, “she’s not a person I must give up on.”

The more Ju spoke, the more he angered the king. Gwangjong stood up.

“I would wish to ask for your permission to let me divorce with Hunsook, but since it is for the country I would not complain…”

“You are the crown prince of Goryeo. You, someday, will become the next ruler, the new father of the country. For the last time, stay away from Seol.” Gwangjong growled.

“Before becoming a father of Goryeo,” Ju raised his voice, keeping the calmness and genuine determination within, “I’m a person who possess a heart of man.”

Baek-Ah, Jung, and Hwangbo sisters were speechless at the Crown Prince’s bravery, able to speak his heart and mind with no remorse. Ju was never the type of a man to confront the king, but ever since Seol came, he was changed from a boy to a man. With his hands clenched, the king held out his sword. The same sword that killed Ju’s mother. The crown prince’s were shaken slightly but he kept silent, no longer affected, or frightened.

“If you possess the heart of man,” Gwangjong walked towards him, “you also possess the heart of sins.”

Baek-Ah and Jung gaped in horror as Gwangjong raised his sword but stopped as everyone was surprised at unexpected, unwanted intruder who was embracing Ju tightly. Her eyes were frowning, but desperate.

“Seol…?” Gwangjong spoke the name, “step aside.”

Biting her lips, she stood in front and spread her arms wide, blocking the king’s way, protecting Ju.

“Your majesty…please,” Seol begged, “spare their life.”

Baek-Ah and Jung stared at the king, whose grip on his sword was shaking slightly.

“Seol, you don’t need to beg for their life.” Gwangjong spoke.

“They are my only friends in this palace. The Crown Prince, he is not a man I must throw away.” Seol said, “please…give them another chance to live…”
Gwangjong scoffed humourlessly. He could see the same doe-like eyes Soo has within Seol. The same, innocent, frightened eyes towards him.

“A chance to what? Destroy you the way they destroy your mother?!”

Seol blinked her eyes, unable to understand the king’s outburst, when he mentioned about her mother, Hae Soo. With her lips making a thin line, she knelt down on her knees.

“Uncle So…”

Wang So’s eyes were shaking as she spoke.

“please…spare their lives…”

Closed his eyes, his hand released his grip on the sword. The blade made a clanking sound as its gravity pulled it towards the floor.

“Jung…”

Jung bowed as the king called out.

“…release them…I do not wish to see them again.”

The grand general obliged as he gestured his soldiers to retreat. Seol sighed in relief and so did Hwangbo Su.

“Thank you…uncle So.”

When he was about to turn around  he heard the loud slam on the floor. He abruptly turned to see Seol collarpsed out of anxiety. Baek-Ah and Jung was alarmed as Hwangbo Su gasped. Ju came and held Seol up, worried. Ju, Hwangbo Su, and Hwangbo Seol dismissed themselves as the Crown Prince called out for the physicians.

Baek-Ah and Jung approached to the king.

“Your majesty? Brother?” Baek-Ah called.

“I may have spared his life…, but that doesn’t mean I’m letting him take Seol.”


Waiting at outside, Princesses were pacing around as Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ji was reassuring A-Ran. Hunsook noticed Hwangbo sisters surrounding Ju who was holding unconscious Seol in his arms as they escaped Cheonduk-Jeon.

“Seol-ah!!!”

The princesses looked at the entrance and ran towards them.

“Sister!” Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ji shrieked.

They all surrounded Seol who was fainted out of exhaustion.

“Call the physicians now!”

Seol’s brothers complied as they ran to search for the royal doctors. Little did they know, Choi Ji-Mong was watching them from the Astronomer Tower, formed a proud smile at Seol.

“She’s ready…,” then he looked up at an early night watching at one star in particular, “Lady Seol’s star has grown even more radiant than usual.”

 

 

Note:

Whew~! Done! In next chapter, Seol will question her birth and will figure out her identity! How will she accept the truth? Well, the only way to find out…see ya in next chapter~!