I Confess...

Snow White

[Seol confessed to the princesses and Hwangbo sisters that she loves the Crown Prince, and they encouraged her to be true to her heart. The king arranged the marriage between Princess Wang A-Ji and Cheon Chu-Jeon until the last day of Spring. Luckily, Seol’s brother reciprocates Princess Wang A-Ji’s love in return.]

“SEOL!!!!!”

Seol yelped in surprise as the princesses and Hwangbo sisters burst the door opened, shocked and perplexed expression all over their face. They all ran to her and bothered her with countless questions.

“What do you mean you’re being courted?”

“Who’s the man?”

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“Does that mean you’ll get married soon?!”

Seol shushed them as she warned them even the walls have years. And they all closed the doors and windows, hoping no one will hear. They all sat on their seat as Seol leaned to them.

“Does his majesty know?” Seol asked.

“No…my brother didn’t want to tell him…he’s afraid his majesty will go mad also.”

Seol stifled her giggles when she remembered the time when she was serving the tea for the king. She overheard his conversation with uncle Baek-Ah and her father. Something about countless men asking for her hand in marriage, or courting her. She also saw her uncle So, Gwangjong, growled in anger saying of anyone’s trying to take her away, they have to survive his blade first. Or something like if any man tries to hurt him, he would personally cut off their s, hands and their eyes. Seol sighed at her uncle’s overprotective behaviors.

“I’m terribly sorry, ladies…it was actually a lie.”

There was a silence.

“…excuse me?” A-Ran asked.

“I was lying to keep myself away from the Crown Prince…”

Another silence, then A-Ran’s hand struck on her head as if it was chopping. 

“PRINCESS A-RAN CHOP!”

Bo-Hwa and Moon-Duk literally grabbed Seol’s collars angrily shaking.

“Why?! Why did you lie?!” Princess Bo-Hwa shrieked.

“Why did you want to stay away from out brother?! What’s the reason?” Princess Moon-Duk asked, more like demanding.

Hwangbo Su attempted to calm them while Hwangbo Seol froze at such ridiculous scene. Princess A-Ran continued to use her hand to “chop” Seol’s head as her sisters were shaking Seol’s collars, glaring and demanding answers.

“Will you please calm down and LET ME SPEAK FOR ONCE?!” Seol shouted, irritated.

“We will after you explain the reason!!!” A-Ran yelled.

“Your lie caused a nervous breakdown on Ju!” Bo-Hwa blamed.

Biting her lips in guilt, she blurted out something she wasn’t supposed to say.

“Then, what could I say? That I love the Crown Prince of Goryeo?!”

Bo-Hwa and Moon-Duk stopped shaking her as A-Ran stopped herself from hitting. Hwangbo sisters gasped in surprise. They all stared at Seol with wide eyes, unable to believe what they just heard from her.

“…what?” Moon-Duk blurted, panicked.

Seol groaned, angry at herself from telling the truth but the damage was done. At least, it’s only the princesses and the sisters in her room.

She reminisced the time she shared with Ju. The first time they met. When they disguised themselves as a commoner, shopping around the market and painting whatever they saw. But most of all, when Seol met him again after eight years of absence, at the forest. She still remember how gallant he was with his red and black training outfits. His charming smile that unveiled his dimples. Seol realized the beating heart when she was close to him during the archery practice. She could also remember how handsome, beguiling, and charismatic he was. She didn’t realized the tears dripping down from her eyes.

“I said, I love the Crown Prince. Your brother, Wang Ju.” Seol confessed.

Hwangbo sisters could only stare one another with concerning look. Seol scoffed at such emotions she was feeling.

“It’s preposterous…me, falling for the future king of Goryeo? The married man?” Seol averted her gaze, looking away, “I’m already committing a treason…the treason against the king, the royal family…!”

The princesses couldn’t say anything. Seol brushed off her tears as Hwangbo Su came and comfortingly grabbed her shoulders and so did Hwangbo Seol.

“Why…, why didn’t you say so?” A-Ran asked incredulous, “you should have at least told us earlier!!!”

Seol calmed herself.

“If I stay with him, it will bring him more burden…if I get close to him, some rumors will spread and might use it against him…much worse, it will go against the king!”

“So you chose to protect him by hurting him?” Bo-Hwa asked.

Seol nodded her head meekly. A-Ran came to her and patted her back with comfort.

“It’s alright to feel that away…I know how it feels…”

“We’re here for you!” Moon-Duk smiled.

Seol stared at them, unexpected with their accepting gestures.

“You’re all not mad that I love the crown prince?” She asked.

“Why would we? That means you’re our sister now!” Hwangbo Seol exclaimed happily.

“No. What made us angry was that you lied to him,” A-Ran pointed out, “I know he need some time to understand, but he will. Besides, if you love him, you should trust him.”

The eldest princess was right. Seol inhaled as she brought her words inside her, finding them comforting.

“Alright. But..what do I do now?” Seol looked uneasy, remembered his upset look when she lied back then.

“Just apologize to him and tell him the truth. Tell him why you lied, why you wanted to protect him.” Hwangbo Su advised.

Seol glanced at everyone. She was glad that she had friends, the princesses and Hwangbo sisters, who were always there for her. Who sees her as their friends, as their sister.


From the next morning, everyone was at the pavilion. The court ladies were serving the crown prince, Wang Chi, princesses, Hwangbo sisters, Seol, and her brothers with teas and snacks. Seol quickly glanced at Crown Prince Ju who was sitting across her. He had a slight heavy bags under his eyes and looked solemn.

‘Yep, he looks miserable as a black raven…’ Seol pointed out in thought.

Then, eunuchs announced the king’s arrival and everyone stood up. Jung, Baek-Ah, and Choi Ji-Mong was behind him.

“Greetings to your majesty.”

Gwangjong smiled as he stood.

“I see you all enjoying the blossoms of the tree today. I have come to announce the great news.”

Seol looked at Ju, whose eyes were empty. Overwhelmed with guilt, Seol decided to apologize later, right after the king’s announcement.

“At the end of the Spring, there will be a wedding between my eldest daughter, Wang A-Ji and Jung’s eldest son, Cheon Chu-Jeon.”

Seol’s eyes got wide as Chi raised his eyebrows. Hwangbo sisters and two princesses were congratulating Princess A-Ran, who was blushing with red. A-Ji looked at his older brother, who seemed surprised but nonetheless seemingly obliging to the king’s decree as he was looking down. What everyone didn’t noticed, was a pink blush forming on his cheeks.

 

Note:
Okay, people! Next chapter would be SO shocking you should all be prepared soon (involved with Gwangjong and the truth behind YH’s death)! Well, Seol be glad about this; Ju loved your first (since, like, forever~)