Secrets Revealed

Snow White

[Drawn to his old memories and heard the foretelling from Choi Ji-Mong that he could no longer become a king, Ju decided to take Seol out as their old times with disguising themselves as a commoner. Currently, Seol becomes a good step-mother to Wang Song, Hwangbo Su’s only child but one day she heard the king’s worsening condition.]

 

Ju was finishing is political duties, but he was wondering one thing that Chi told him. His cousin explained that Su was pregnant but the royal physician told him that Hwangbo Su was already carrying the child a day after the wedding! Gyeongjong was confused but at the same time grew suspicious whether Chi had lied in order to spite both him and Seol. Besides, during the wedding night, Ju had been ignored Su as he was still miffed with the fact that Hwangbo clan, especially Chi, threatened him and the palace. Speaking of Hwangbo Clan, he met the man named Kim Chi-Yang who was chosen to protect Queen Hunae’s side. Ju needed to learn more of this man, due to the fact that he felt something was amiss with the man.

On the other side, he was worried if the marriage and Su’s pregnancy upset Seol. Even though Ju still loves her, he was afraid the life of palace have harmed her in some way. He had seen such confidence she possesses but he knew she was upset. It’s been a year since Wang Song’s birth and Seol has become a king step-mother to him and he could see she felt a bit better as the little prince were attached to her.

He remembered one time he went to Ji-Mong and at that time the astronomer told him one thing he was surprised and at the same time, expected.

“Even though you are a great king, your time as a ruler will come to end soon.”

Sighing, he didn’t know the astronomer’s prediction was this satisfying before. Remembering the old memories of him and Seol spending their time together, he decided to make one for them again. Ignoring the small pain from his lungs, he made his way to Seol’s room.


In Seol’s room, she was spending time with other queens who were drinking teas. She had noticed Chi-Yang’s fond towards Su’s child. She brushed off the feelings to continue drinking teas until they all heard the eunuch announcing the king’s arrival. They all stood up and greeted Ju. Hwangbo Su handed her son to Chi-Yang who willingly hold the baby and dismissed himself. Seol glanced at Ju who made a small smile but faded as she looked down. Awkward silence took over Seol’s chamber and Hwangbo sisters looked at them back side from side, worried if their presence bothered the couple. Taking a deep breath, Ju began to spoke.

“Soon it is the spirit ritual,” Ju smiled at Seol, “why don’t we take a small patrolling outside?”

Seol looked up. She stared at Hwangbo sisters who seemed to urge her to accept his offer. Sighed in defeat, she nodded her head to him.

“Alright. Just this once.”

Brightened by her answer, he smiled and thanked her. He told her he would wait for tonight and left. 


In their commoner disguise, Ju and Seol went outside the palace and walked over the market. Ju noticed how her behaviors changed a little. Seol was reverted back with her initial lively side he had seen when they were young. Seol bought several hairpins for Queen Hunsook, Hwangbo sisters, Princess A-Ran and her sisters. Also, she bought the toys for Wang Song in which Ju appreciated.

“Here.”

Ju saw the familiar pastry he had seen before. He remembered the time when he was a little boy, running around the market with Seol and his sisters. Seol brought one particular pastry that was dipped with honey. Since then, it become his favorite.

“Thank you.” He accepted as he took a bite.

Just as the old ones, the pastry was delicious. Especially when she fed it to him. They have bought more pastries and walked around until they noticed couple of children starving as they were looking at every shop. Compassion overwhelmed them and Ju approached to the little kids who looked a bit intimidated by his height. He kneeled down to match the line of their gaze. He pulled out the small package of pastries he bought and hand it to them.

“Here, little ones,” Ju called, kindness filled in his voice, “you can take them.”

Gently, one of them accepted the package. She giggled happily as his patted her head fondly. Seol came along and handed some of them for other children. They bid the little ones goodbye as they thanked Ju and Seol for the pastries.

Both of them walked towards their favorite spot of Lake Dongji.  The twinge of guilt overcame him when he saw Seol prayed upon the stone tower he built on behalf of her mother for he felt that he had failed to protect her. He suddenly saw her two hands clasped on his and giving him forgiving smile. Ju smiled back, blinking his tears back as he couldn’t bring himself to confess his conditions to her. He wished he wasn’t born become the king, Gyeongjong. But soon, he believe, soon she will be free.

“What’s wrong?” Seol asked.

He bit his lips for a second, but smiled.

“Nothing…just…you didn’t call me by my name as usual. I miss some times when you called me by the name…”

“Oh..,” Seol frowned a bit, “time goes fast…”

“Yes…”

Seol noticed his expression in which his eyes grew saddened. Then her expression turned serious.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” She asked.

“What?”

“Why didn’t you tell me about your condition? Your lung’s condition?” She asked again.

Ju was briefly frozen, but regained his composure. He knew it should have come. It’s been a year since he was suffering from lung disease and he never told anyone of it. Due to the fear that someone will use his sickness to go against Seol.

“I may be the queen, but I’m still your wife. What kind of wife I am to be unaware of your health?” She continued as she felt her eyes grew watery.

Remorse overtook him as he embraced her, letting her cry silently in his arms.

“Don’t worry…I won’t die. I will live,” Ju soothed her, “I may be a king, but I am your husband too. I’m sorry…”

The candles of the stone tower wavered a little. Little did they knew, they were watched by an apparition of a woman shed a tear of sadness and remorse for them.

 

 

Note:
Fortunately, Ju and Seol’s love is still alive! Okay we are close to the end! And Ju’s disease is revealed how will he overcame it? What will happen later? Can Ju protect Seol from and cruelty of palace and Chi’s obsession? We’ll find out soon~! Enjoy and comment~!