Where Do I Come From?

Snow White

[Seol came to Jung, demanding the truth of her birth in which he finally confess. She now finally figured out why she was forbade to live with king, why Gwangjong killed queen Daemok. When alone in her room, Ju came in and comfort her as her past does not matter as he was only concerned with her well-being.]

 

Jung, who was back from his night duty walked to his room, only to find Lady Munhye waiting. It was unusual for her to come in this late, unless if it’s something involved with Seol…

“What’s wrong?” Jung asked.

“General…,” Lady Munhye spoke, “I think it’s time Seol needs to know…”

Grand general bit his lips. It’s been eighteen years Jung had hid her from the cruelty of palace, the past, and her true family. Before he could say anything, they heard the door opened, revealing Seol who woke up from her unconsciousness.

“Seol?”

She greeted them all.

“I have come here to ask something…”

With her words, Lady Munhye excused herself and left Jung’s room. He gestured Seol to sit on the chair as he sat across her. Jung noticed the grim, suspecting gaze Seol possessed as she stared at him. He inwardly gulped in anxiety.

“Is there something you’re hiding from me?” She questioned.

Jung momentarily averted his gaze and she took his gesture as a “yes”. With a sigh, she spoke again. This time, she leaned towards to match her eye contact with him and asked carefully.

“Father…where do I come from?”

The grand general, the fourteenth prince, closed his eyes in defeat. ‘Soo, I’m sorry…’ He thought apologetically. He reopened his eyes and finally faced Seol.

“Seol,” he begun, “I think it’s time I must tell something I should have told you long time ago…I’m afraid it would affect you greatly, will you take it?”

Seol nodded her head, completely determined. Jung coughed then let himself confess…

“You see, your mother Hae Soo is your biological mother but…you have a—a…different father,” Seol kept listened, letting him continue, “your real father is…”

Seol listened intently. Jung briefly stopped himself as his lips made a thin line. Exhaling his breath heavily, he continued.

“y—your father is,” Jung closed his eyes, “Gwangjong, the king of Goryeo.”

Silence.

Seol’s eyes grew wide, out of shock and disbelief. ‘Uncle So? He was…my father? But how? And why…’ She thought with countless question. Her expression seemed to demand more answer as Jung decided to spill them out.

“It was long ago, before you were born…the first year he became a king. He wanted to stop whatever your uncle Wook and aunt, deceased Queen Daemok, whose greed had tortured your mother. Hae Soo, she wanted to protect you from any danger from the palace so she agreed to marry me. And the king didn’t know you were existed back then. And when the king came to see her…it was too late. And I do not wish to let you suffer the same torture your mother had at the palace…that’s why I told you once, to stay away from the Crown Prince…!”

Unable to contain his emotion, Jung let the tears flow. Seol frowned as she took more words from her adoptive father.

“Then…does the king know? That I’m his daughter all along?” She cautiously asked.

The general only nodded. 

“And…the reason why he murdered the queen was because she tried to kill me?”

His had was on his face, in a futile attempt to calm himself. The connection was on the line as she finally understood the king’s every action. Why he always doted on her than his children. Why he tried to kill his own son, Wang Ju. Seol stood up and embraced him, one single tear escaped from her eyes.

“It’s okay…I’m gland you told me the truth,” Seol smiled soothingly, “now I finally understand my father.”

“I’m sorry, Seol-Ah…I’m sorry…”

Seol only grinned, telling her adoptive father she was alright.

“It’s alright, father. I may be too greedy to say this but…I’m happy that I have two fathers who cares for me.”

She lets go and dismissed herself to her chamber. She laid on her bed and clutched her mother’s hairpin tightly. She heard the door knocked.

“Seol, it’s me.”

It was prince Ju. She let him in. He was wearing simple white and blue robes, looked concerned for her as he seemed he hadn’t slept too.

“I heard what happened there.”

Seol’s heart palpitated faster.

“Although as much as it was obvious at first place, his majesty was not good at hiding his emotions all too well.”

She looked at him, gaped.

“Wait…you—you knew? You knew that he was my—”

“Of course,” Ju smiled, “I also see many similarities you share with him.”

The Crown Prince knew. He knew that the king was Seol’s biological father. She was also Ju’s half-sister in another words. Ju sighed as he sat on her bed.

“So what if you are my half-sister? That doesn’t change the fact that I’m still waiting for your answer.” Ju smiled warmly.

“Aren’t you scared of him, though?” Seol questioned.

Ju contemplated for a while, then replied calmly.

“I had, once, but no…I do not resent him also…I understand him. He had harsh memories that buries inside him. So I don’t bear any grudge to him.”

She heard another people enter, revealing the princesses, Hwangbo sisters, and her step-brothers, Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ji.

“We heard everything…” A-Ran spoke first, “and to be honest, we are all happy that you are our sister.”

“You may be the king’s daughter,” Cheon Chu-Jeon added, “but you are still my sister I admire the most.”

Hwangbo Su came to her.

“What we all concern the most, is how you view or feel towards your father…,” then she asked, “do you resent the king?”

Her question struck Seol’s mind. Did she hated the king? Her father? No…she would find his ways harsh and cruel, but she forgives and understand him. He’s her father.

“No..” Seol smiled then stood up, “how’s the king now? Where’s he?”

The girls glanced to one another, then nodded their head.

“He’s at his chamber,” Moon-Duk replied, “you still can meet him.”

Seol stood up and went outside as the girls and Ju followed behind.

“What are you going to do?” Hwangbo Su asked.

Seol stopped and looked around. She made the most warmest smile.

“I want to say what I must say so he would understand…”

Then, Yoo Seol left. The girls wanted to follow along, but stopped by Ju. Seeing her running from afar, the Crown Prince formed a knowing grin.

 

Note:

Okay, everyone…prepare some tissues for the next chapter…