Mother of Nation

Snow White

[Much to her and Ju’s loss, the traumatic event caused her to miscarry their child. Later, they were told that Wang Seon was the one who set the lynch on the two elder princes. For the first time, everyone is seeing the least thing they had expect from Seol]

 

“WHAT?!” Ju shrieked in distress.

“The queen has miscarried the child, your majesty,” the royal physician muttered in anxiety, “the traumatic event might have been the cause.”

Ju clenched his fist to prevent himself from anger. He was shocked when he heard his queen fainted by witnessing the lynch of Prince Hyo-Seong and Won-Nyeong. And now his chance of becoming a father become futile, because of those impulsive, foolish nobles. Most of all, he was angry at whoever the one that caused the lynching. Jung and Baek-Ah was in the queen’s room to stay with Seol.

“Ji-Mong…” Ju spoke again, “did you found out who set the lynch?”

Ji-Mong sighed then answered.


Back at the queen’s chamber, Seol was sitting on her large bed, wearing a red chŏgori and black skirt. Her eyes were blank from the shock and forlorn since the miscarriage. Jung and Baek-Ah did everything to lighten up the mood but there was no sign of light. Then, they heard the presence of the king and bowed to Ju. The king greeted him back and seeing his queen’s expression, he told them to leave the chamber. Nodded their head, Jung and Baek-Ah left. Ju approached and sat beside her.

“Seol, I’m—”

“It’s alright,” she cut off with curt smile, “I’m the one who should feel sorry…you have been anticipating to become a father…and I was being childish to wander off recklessly…”

“No, it’s not your fault,” then remembering the name of the culprit he slowly glared, “if it weren’t for him we could have had our child.”

Seol, then looked at him.

“Who was it? Who set up such crime?” She asked, more like, demanding the answer.

Looking at her eyes, Ju decided to reply.

“Wang Seon,” he began, “he was the one who sent the wrongly accused nobles to lash out their anger on the two, because prince Hyo-Seong and Won-Nyeong were the ones who supported our father’s reformation and the purges.”

Seol’s face darkened and Ju noticed the familiar aura he had seen when he was a child. It was the same aura he had seen from his father Gwangjong. Especially when his father was up to another bloody purge. If Seol took after her father’s traits than her mother’s, she would also bring another bloody purge on the palace.

“Where is he now?” She asked, her voice become cold for brief seconds.

“He’s in prison,” he replied then looked up, “do you want him executed?”

“No, it is too lenient for him.”

Ju remembered the time he had seen officials killed and hung at the stake. Their corpse was either slashed or stabbed and the previous king was looking at them with cruel, icy smirk. Ju hoped Seol still retained her mother’s personality.

“What do you want me to do with him then?”

Seol made a small smile as she glanced at her king. When Ju looked at her, he felt like she has now had an upper hand. Now, she looked like she wasn’t belong to the world, envisioned her sitting on the throne, staring at the evil with cold, cruel eyes filled with disdain. Not that Ju was frightened, but he was intrigued to see innocent creature like her could become a graceful, yet powerful being.

“Your majesty…will you let me take care of this?”

With slightly widened eyes, he merely nodded his head.


Wang Seon, who was imprisoned, had endured interrogation—more like tortures—and locked back inside the prison. He couldn’t forget Wang Chi’s expression when he told the oldest of Hwangju about Seol’s miscarriage. Wang Chi, who was sitting on his chair, formed an evil curl of his lips. His jealousy had reached into a point of obsession for the queen in which Seon was disturbed of and began to concerned of her and the king.

He heard the door opened and revealed a majestic looking woman stood outside, staring down at him with dignity and contempt. It was queen Hunui, Yoo Seol, followed by Jung, Baek-Ah, and others. He had seen her sweet smile but seeing her wearing the same expression Gwangjong made when he was angered, Seon was frightened. Feared for what will happen. Watching him trembling, Seol sighed.

“Don’t worry,” Seol spoke in soothing manner, “I’m not here to interrogate you.”

She gestured the guards to leave and glanced back at the prisoner. When Seon was young, he had heard the rumor of women from Chungju clan. Especially, the dowager queen Yoo. The mother of Gwangjong. She was well-known for her greed for the throne she used her sons to get whatever she wanted. To begin with, Queen Yoo was never the true queen. But one time when Wang Seon presented himself in the court, he didn’t meet the king, but Queen Hunui herself, sitting on the throne with Jung and Baek-Ah on both of her side standing. Seon initially was confused but seeing Seol for the first time, he was intimidated and was in awe.

“Why did you set the lynch?” She asked.

“P…pardon?”

“Why did you set the lynch?” She inquired with stern voice.

“I…” Seon averted his gaze.

“Look at me when I’m talking to you.” Seol commanded with glare, causing him the flinch for everyone felt like they were watching the mother scolding her child. Even Jung and Baek-Ah didn’t expect her harsh behaviors.

Seeing that she had scared the prisoner, she decided not to pressure him as someday she could find out the truth. But she needed to tell him what she must say.

“I’m not angry, but I’m very disappointed. As a head minister, you need to do what’s best for the country, but you deliberately disobeyed the father of Goryeo. It seemed you are too immature to know about the palace,” Seol frowned as she spoke, “you should be glad you will not be executed.”

Seon looked up at the queen. Jung and Baek-Ah glanced at Seol with wide eyes.

“You will be henceforth exiled to your residence,” Seol continued with indifferent voice but grew softened, “Beating and criticizing you means it is one of mothers’ way to express how much they care of their children…but I think what you need is reflecting yourself. Remember, your mother may have you as her only child…but I have the whole nation who are my sons and daughters.”

With that, she walked away and went out, leaving Wang Seon kneeled in guilt, reflecting himself for what he had done. Biting his lips to precent himself from wailing, he muttered his apologies for he couldn’t forget the queen’s words. Her deeds were reached throughout the palace. Servants expected the queen to execute him, but instead she didn’t do anything cruel as her father done. The queen treated everyone as her own children, giving them all with her affection and care.

Choi Ji-Mong could only smile by Seol’s demeanor for he knew she was born with the star of the queen, the mother of nation.