Long Live The Queen

Snow White

[When reading the doctrine, Ju and Seol found out Gwangjong had approved of the marriage between them, in which she decided to become the queen to help him by his side. The wedding for the king and the queen begun and had Yoo Seol as Queen Hunui, much to Chi’s envy.]

 

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… Lady Seol who has become a representative heiress of Yoo clan, stood on the lake Dongji, praying in front of the stone tower. It has been more then half of year since Wang Ju was crowned as a new king, Gyeongjong. Her brother Cheon Chu-Jeon becomes a strong soldier, serving the new king along with Jung and Baek-Ah. 

Seol was wearing white hanbok with light yellow skirt and orange undergarment. Her hair was adorned with hairpins and her face were decorated with light cosmetics. In order to prevent the royal conflict, she decided to keep her last name as “Yoo”. 

“Sister!”

Seol turned around and saw her two brothers running towards her, catching their breath.

“Don’t run, you all will fall.” Seol heartily laughed at their unchanged innocent behavior.

After they finally catch their breaths, Cheon Chu-Jeon began to spoke up.

“Quick! You must go to father. He has something to say to us all.”

Hearing her adoptive father was calling for her, she hurriedly followed them to the palace. She stopped as she saw her person, her only king, Wang Ju, stood outside waiting for her. He was wearing mahogany colored royal robes with the emblem of golden dragon decorated. His hair was tied up in knot, covered with golds. He looked like a calm, celestial vermillion bird who rose up from the fiery mountain.

Seol bowed at this new, young king as their eyes met. He smiled as she walked in to the court with him. The door was open for them, revealing Jung waiting with Baek-Ah, Lady Munhye, and the princesses. Seol politely greeted them but she noticed the scroll her adoptive father was holding. She also saw the anxious looks on everyone. Princesses’ lips were twitching, preventing themselves from smiling.

“What’s going on?” Ju asked.

Without speaking, Jung gave the new king a scroll.

“I have received the doctrine of your father.”

Squinted his eyebrows, he looked at Seol’s adoptive father, then stared at the scrolled doctrine. He spread it with two hands, revealing the king’s calligraphy. As he began read, his eyes grew wide unable to hide his shocked expression. Curious, Seol looked at it then gaped at her father’s last decree.

“I consent to the marriage of an heir to the throne, Wang Ju, and heiress of Chungju clan, Yoo Seol…”

Ju and Seol glanced at one another, unsure what to say. Princesses squealed in delight as they hugged their half-sister. Baek-Ah and Jung sighed as Seol felt dizzy. Ju grabbed her shoulders, fearing she will collapse but she stood up. Believing this as a Ju’s opportunity, Jung and Baek-Ah decided to take their leave. Seol looked at and saw Ju smiling hopefully.

“It’s up to you whether you want to accept or refuse the previous king’s decree,” he spoke gently, but serious, “but…I want to hear your answer now.”

Seol’s doe-like eyes gazed at his. Filled with devotion and hope, she couldn’t help by smile back. Slowly and carefully, she nodded her head.

“Like I said…I’m already your person…”

Laughing in elation, Ju embraced his person and she hugged him back, forgetting the princesses’ standing behind them with smile.


Weeks passed since the last decree of Gwangjong was publicly announced. The mood in the Song-Ak palace was extremely festive. Court ladies were organizing the halls as the servants hug the paper lanterns on the poles. The flourishing flowers bloomed their petals on the tree as if they knew this most glorious, wondrous day happening.

In their respective room, Ju and Seol was fidgeting, anxious. He was wearing black and dark orange gwanbok* with his hair in a knot, covered with the headwear of the king. He looked at the gate, the green jades dangling from his crown, wondering what would Seol think of this day. On the other hand, Seol was wearing a blue hwal-ot* with its red edge adorned with the pattern of golden dragons. Her headdress was heavy, but it was worth to endure its weight. An hour ago, Lady Munhye watched her step-daughter with tears flowing from her eyes. Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ji stood beside, looking at their sister in awe. As the lady departed first, the brothers were greeted by Seol’s embrace.

“You look beautiful, sister.” Cheon Chu-Jeon said.

“Thank you, brothers…for supporting my decision.” Seol thanked them with her eyes grew a little watery.

Chu-Jeon glanced at his older sister with smile.

“You possesses rare willpower inside, sister,” then he briefly held her hands firmly, “never lose it.”

She nodded her head as Cheon Chu-Jeon released her hands. A-Ji was glad he was able to see his sister married to the king she love.

“I don’t care if she becomes a queen or not,” A-Ji frowned at his brother but his eyes grew softened when he looked at Seol, “I want her to be happy.”

Seol smiled as she hugged them once again before they left to the court to wait for the wedding ceremony to begin. Wang Ju kept looking at himself in a mirror, inspecting every part of his face for he wanted to look perfect for his bride, his person.

In the throne room, the court was filled with the clans from Chungju Yoo, Shinju Kang, Hwangbo, and the Hae’s whose wealth and honor has been restored thanks to Seol’s birthright and her offerings with alliance. Hwangbo sisters inhaled in anxiety for their sworn sister’s wedding. Princesses were beside them with excited expression but they managed to keep their composed expression. On the opposite side, Cheon Chu-Jeon stood beside his wife Princess A-Ran looking at the door. Beside them was Jung, Lady Munhye and Baek-Ah. Thirteenth and fourteenth prince recalled their time when they were told by the royal astronomer about Seol, several years ago.

In all of sudden, everyone heard the sound of drums rolling in vibrant tempo. The royal wedding has begun, and everyone was in full attention. 

The door to the throne chamber gently burst opened. Jung and Baek-Ah looked at the royal pair, especially the bride as they remembered what Ji-Mong has foretold several years ago.

“Lady Seol was born with a star of the queen.”

Princesses beamed at their half-sister’s majestic beauty, unable to take their eyes off from the royal pair. Hwangbo sisters were shocked as the older, Hwangbo Su, saw the regal aura illuminating around Ju and Seol. Wang Chi stood silent with his unreadable melancholic, yet wrathfully jealous eyes glinted on the pair. Envious of Ju. Bitterly. And humiliatingly jealous of the new king taking over the seat beside Seol, which Chi himself wanted the most.

Wang Ju and Seol regally marched towards the throne with radiant smile of elation. They stole glances from each other, forming a shy, but blissful expression. Upon reaching the throne, both of them turned around and glanced at the people inside the court. They slowly sat down on the throne, letting their bonds tied together as Yin and Yang. The Sun and the Moon. Choi Ji-Mong stood front bowing to the pair then announced.

“Heaven smiles down upon our kingdom. His majesty also held the decree of promoting General Wang Jung, as Vice King Munwon. Yoo Seol of Chungju will be henceforth crowned as the new queen. Let us all give our bless to our king and his queen!”

Followed by the royal astronomer, Baek-Ah stood broadly and shouted.

“Let us greet our new queen!”

The the court was filled with the chant:

“Long live the king! Long live the queen!”

Ju and Seol smiled widely as they heard the last chants.

“Blessing to Queen Hunui!!!”

“Manse! Manse! Man-manse!!!!”

 

 

 

Note:
Phew~! HERE’S Chapter 29~!!!! Here’s a quizzes for everyone who are reading this…guess what MLSHR OST I have listened while writing the royal wedding scene of Ju and Seol. And imagine every deceased MLSHR characters and others’ reaction from the heaven LOL. (In ya face, Yeon-Hwa!! :P)