They Way She Hide...

Snow White

[Seol returned to the palace by the request of the king. Every day and night, Seol nurses him as she spent more times with him. While at Dongji lake, she expressed her distress as Ju stand beside and reassure her.]

 

The princesses paced around the entrance of the palace. When they heard the sound of horses’ hooves galloping, they looked up and saw Seol and others arrived. She hopped off from her horse and ran towards them.

“Forgive me for arriving late! What happened?” Seol asked.

“His majesty’s ill and he’s searching for you!” A-Ran informed as her sisters dragged Seol towards the king’s chamber.

They all ran to the king’s chamber. The servants opened the door for them as Seol, Ju, princesses, Jung, and Baek-Ah entered. Seol stopped as she saw the king, her father, laid on his bed sleeping. She nearly thought he was a few step away from the heaven as his skin grew even more pale. Ju approached to Gwangjong.

“Your majesty…Seol’s here.”

Hearing the name of his daughter, he slowly opened his eyes searching for her as he sat up. She bowed slightly as she took several steps towards him. Jung, Ju, Baek-Ah, and the princesses excused themselves, leaving them alone. Seeing them gone, Seol put up her wide smile that reminds him her as an adorable six years old child she was.

“Father.”

Smiling warmly, the king’s hands reached and touched her cheeks before giving her hug. Seol’s eyes were blinking back her tears as she embraced her father. Gwangjong grinned widely as giving his daughter warm embrace and his hand patted her head while Seol sniffed her tears.


Three days passed, the king’s health returned as he was able to walk around, feeling no pain inside. As the duties from court was done, he would come to see his daughter Seol and spend their time together. Sometimes, he brought her to the secluded, safe place where she could pick beautiful flowers. She sometimes make a flower crowns for Baek-Ah, Jung, and the king and the old brothers heartily laugh at one another.

Somehow, they noticed Seol rushing outside the palace and go to Dongji lake. Out of curiosity, they had once secretly followed, imagining she must have been going to cause some troubles. When they reached to the lake, what they saw caused them to stop as they eyes were on the pile of well-built stone towers where Seol and the Crown Prince picked the stones and piled on. She noticed Ju’s hand all dirty and pulled out her handkerchief, gently rubbing the dirts off from his hand. As both Seol and Ju finished, they had their palms together and prayed silently for several seconds.

Jung, Baek-Ah, and the king was quite confused with the stone towers Seol and Ju built but they were aware of small painting Seol made; the stone portrait of her mother, Hae Soo.

“It seems we have built out quite a temple for her,” Ju smiled, “we could bring more candles for tomorrow night.”

“Indeed…,” Seol turned to him, “how’s our father, by the way?”

“Much better. I do not know when it will last, but he is much more healthier than usual.” Ju replied with small smile, his eyes empty.

“I see.” Seol managed to spoke.

The wind silently blew towards their direction in such awkward situation. Believing this as a good time to ask, she decided to spoke up.

“Ju?”

He looked at her, smiling still.

“Yes?”

“When I first visit this palace…have you once felt hatred about me?”

Her question caught him off guard. Even Baek-Ah, Jung, and the king blinked their eyes at her question. Brought back to reality, Ju tilted his head to the side.

“What makes you asking me that?” He asked, slightly incredulous.

“I’m not sure…it’s just that you don’t seem to mind about his majesty when he didn’t…paid attention to you,” Seol murmured, “I mean…you are his son also…and I sometimes believe I might have been an obstacle between him and you, as father and son.”

Her confession caused everyone to froze. Ju was the one to kept silent as she explained. He closed his eyes, sighed heavily then smiled soothingly.

“To be honest, when I heard his majesty’s favorite niece had visited, I was a bit angry that she was the one to gain his affection while I don’t. Little bit envious, but when I saw you sing to my sisters when you were a little girl…I changed my mind. And finding out that you were also the king’s daughter…I was…happy.”

“Because I was your half-sister?” Seol asked.

Ju shook his head no.

“Because you were a child of your parents who tied their fate, not by any arrangement…, they did with love…,” Ju patted her head, “I’m glad you were able to understand and love your parents. That’s why I built this stone tower. To assure your mother that you are lively, beautiful as her, and strong, independent, and clever as your father Wang So, the man who wished nothing but to be your father.”

Seol bit her lips as he spoke. Baek-Ah and Jung was taken aback, but formed appreciated smile to the crown prince. Gwangjong only blinked his eyes, staring at the crown prince who used to avoid him, has now become an understanding man. Little did everyone knew, the king’s eyes grew softened towards Seol and Ju.

Ju remained his soothing expression, but his eyes grew glassy with tears.

“I should be the one to ask you…when you realized I came from the family who was responsible for your mother’s death, did you…resent me?”

Seol quickly shook her head no, holding her arms up and shaking them.

“N—no! Of course not! I don’t blame you for what happened before we were born! I believe during the conflict for the throne, other uncles must have their reasons. I don’t ‘hate’ them… actually I’m a bit angry at them…,” Seol found herself hiccuped when she spoke, “mom wanted to stop the fight, the bloodshed among the families and brothers…and yet…they don’t, or try not to understand her wish because they were so obsessed and so selfish. And I wanted to believe that they were the ones who must be condemned for what they did to uncle Eun, aunt Soon-Deok,…everyone…and mother. I wanted to hate them but I couldn’t.”

Ju smiled only as he nodded his head, understanding. Her outburst had shocked Jung, Baek-Ah, and Gwangjong. For Seol was a girl who had her optimistic, lively aura that surrounded her.

“Because they were also my family…I decide to put the past behind. And I’m concerned with everyone’s future and present, after all.” She concluded.

Ju leaned and embraced her.

“Then, …let me apologize on their behalf,” Ju grinned warmly, but his eyes were watery, “I’m sorry…”

She bit her lips, releasing her tears along with her longing for the one who she truly wanted to see the most.

“…I want my mother back…”

With their eyes saddened, Baek-Ah and Jung could only look away. The king could only held his head down, not showing his expression. Ju soothingly patted her back.

“The loss I feel for my mother must be nothing compare to the loss you feel for your mother.” He said as he could feel his smile strained.

“What do we do when he will be gone?” She asked, “where will he go when he leave us?”

Ju knew she was asking about the king. Their father, Gwangjong, Wang So.
“It’s alright…he must be very happy that he have become a father of his daughter. And if he leaves, I’m sure in the life of next…, he will come for your mother… and when that time comes…nothing will separate them… I promise.”

What Ju said was enough for her. That’s what they have been also prayed for when they came to the lake today. They knew that their father was no immortal. He was a human. Father to his beloved daughter. Husband to a gone, but unforgotten wife who was also his soulmate. Ju used to seek for his fatherly affection, but seeing his person Seol gained much love from him, it was good enough…even if the king disagreed with their relationship, the Crown Prince knew Gwangjong did because he was worried for Seol as much as Ju felt for her life too. Somehow, he could only find himself confident that he would protect his person.

“I may not be powerful or strong as the king, but I want you to let me protect you.. or at least give you a freedom if you ask.”

Seol nodded her head. Her arms were around his waist.

“I’m here for you…truly,” he finally let a single tear flew down, “and forever.”

He let her wail silently as he knew inside her strong and lively exterior, she was a woman and a child who longed for her mother, and loved her father. The king, Baek-Ah and Jung quietly turned and walked away. Guilt and remorse filled in their heart as they now have seen her inner, painful side. The king and Jung looked back and saw the Crown Prince whose eyes were closed but remained embracing the girl whom he become as her person. With their saddened, and somewhat soft look Jung and the king turned away and head back to the palace leaving the two alone.

 

 

Note:
Sorry people~! I have made all of you wait…I was back to school now and everything happened too fast. I will update one this weekend (I think)… but it will cause another tearjerking moments! Read and comment on what you feel~