For You

Snow White

[After the “funeral of Gyeongjong”, he was secretly sent to Hae clan where Seol was moved to as a bride of “Hae’s heir”. After four days, Ju’s health completely healed and thus began their happily, married life not as a king and queen, but as husband and wife. In the end, they built the stone towers for Wang So/Gwangjong, and his love Hae Soo, praying for them in another world.]

 

Many seasons passed after Ju of Hae Clan and Lady Yoo Seol were married. Not as the king and, queen, but as a man and woman. Bless heaven, Seol’s husband had quickly recovered his disease and is completely healthy.

When they reunited, Ju explained to Seol he was actually feigned his death by the plan Jung has set for him. Thanks to the alliance, Chungju and Hae Clan developed a strong, cordial relationship as they have gained more wealth and prestige. When they helped him escape the palace, he agreed to become Hae Yoon’s son and thus renamed him as Hae Ju (解 伷) the heir of Hae Clan.

As much as she was angry at her adoptive father for not telling all truth, she was thankful for her family to help both her and Ju. There was an additional doctrine of Gyeongjong that the palace will no longer do any association with Hae’s—as Chi was forbade to learn about either both clans—but promised not to cause the conflict against the clans in which both sides were satisfied with his decision. In all honesty, he wanted to take Wang Song along, but Hwangbo Su insisted she will raise and protect her son, which he reluctantly agreed. Even though his suspicion with illegitimacy of Song’s birth had confirmed him, he cares about the young boy. However, he couldn’t take him because he is no longer a king. Also, Queen Hunae has strong attachment to her child and he doesn’t wish to break mother and son apart.

When Ju showed his name medallion to her, she remembered the time when she was young, complaining with his name meaning and its calligraphy. Their father, Gwangjong, Wang So, named her husband once as Ju (侏), a “liar”, or a “coward”. Seol didn’t like the name meaning so she insisted on writing his name as Ju (伷), meaning “descendant”. Her husband once refused to change the meaning, but Seol has already begged her father Wang So to change the name meaning and its calligraphy in which Gwangjong reluctantly agreed, unable to win his daughter.

 

Seol was at the garden of Hae Household, holding the letters from her families and friends. Jung told that Chi’s wife and Ju’s sister Moon-Duk was now crowned as first queen and revealed that she had once was married to other man named Hongdukwon* and has a daughter, but Moon-Duk became a widow and shortly she married to Chi. And as the new king Seongjong, Chi proclaimed his nephew Wang Song as the crown prince. He also allowed Hwangbo Seol to live at the residence located at the south, close to Baek-Ah’s house. Another envelope from Hwangbo Su confessed that Wang Song wasn’t Ju’s biological son in which Seol found herself not surprising for some reason, but her friend didn’t tell who was the boy’s real father. Her half-brother Cheon Chu-Jeon and his wife A-Ran has another children and this time it was a daughter and soon they told her they will bring her someday.

She looked up prayed at two stone tower both she and Ju built, for their father Wang So and her mother Hae Soo. Wishing they could meet again in another time, another world where they could freely love one another.

“Seol.”

She turned to see her husband Ju standing behind her. With smile Ju joined in and prayed along. Hoping their prayer to reach to the heavens and different world across the time. Seol looked to see his serene eyes, deep in thoughts.

“I saw her when you were at Chungju many years ago,” he began, “whenever I missed you, she appeared and gone as if she didn’t exist—no…as if she was no longer exists. Now that I see you, you look just like her.”

Seol blinked her eyes at what he meant.

“At first I thought she came to scold me for letting you in danger, but…she smiled and left…that’s where I remember the rumors among the palace that…” he paused them continued, “every year the bloody monarch wakes up in night, frantically searches around the palace for his person. Father must have left her to become a king, but in his heart it was only her and their only child.”

Seol’s eyes grew wide. Her father, in paranoia and sorrow, wake up in every night to search for her mother. Gwangjong, the wolf king, howled as he wandered aimlessly around the palace seeking for Lady Soo. A flash of vision came, revealing their slightly aged father roars in pain, eyes were filled with forlorn and called out Soo’s name.

“Soo!”

Seol’s half-lidded eyes were saddened at the sight.

“Where are you?”

She could see Gwangjong then wailed, tears dripping as he was looking at the starless night. The moon only shine radiantly but blur as if it also mourns for her.

“COME BACK!”

The temporary illusion concluded with him kneeled down by the pond, gripping on his sleeves and gritted his teeth while tears continued to drop. Ju’s eyes were saddened for he was one of the person witnessed all back then.

“I always wish someday…they could love freely when they see one another again. If it happens,” Ju smiled as turned to her, “you will always be with your mother and call him your father everyday…”

Seol smiled back, genuinely moved by his sincere wish for she had a same dream also. Speaking of which…

Ju heard the sound of two little girls laughing and running around with their little brother. Seol waved her hand at the two.

“Soo-Yeon-ah! Myung-Hee-yah!”

Their two daughters ran towards their parents. Ju held Soo-Yeon with his one arm as Myung-Hee stood beside her mother. The three years old boy who was clinging onto Seol was named Hae Shin, her youngest child.

“We saw a pretty butterflies!” Soo-Yeon said with wide smile.

“When do we go to see uncle Chu-Jeon?” Myung-Hee asked, holding Shin’s small hand.

Seol smiled at her daughters.

“Soon, Myung-Hee. Soon.”

Her daughter looked up and her two small hands touched Seol’s stomach.

“Mother, your tummy got bigger.”

Ju chuckled. His one hand made a contact with his wife’s waist. Their another dream has already came true as Ju and Seol led their daughters and son to their home. Both looked back at the stone tower and smiled as they left.
He then felt a soft yet firm breeze flew pass by, and he swore he heard the woman’s quiet, soothing voice. The same voice he heard from the apparition he met at Cheondeokjeon long ago.

“Thank you…”

He smiled radiantly as the line of sunlight shimmers the sky, and he went inside the house with his wife and their children. Two stone towers had stood together with stone portrait of Hae Soo and Wang So.

 

 

Note:
DONE!!! Ju and Seol has two daughters named after Soo’s mother-figures; Soo-Yeon (Court Lady Oh) and Myung-Hee (Soo’s cousin).

Hongdukwon: He is Moon-Duk's first husband, but died shortly by unknown reason.

I will someday plan on making the sequel of Snow White: Game of Nation (which is about Seol helping her families, friends from another clash of throne war and the battle against Khitan—chapters will be less than 20 or 30 and has 2 parts of story). One chapter left now, which is epilogue.