ENTRY # 8

The Bachelor

Note: I was supposed to upload this last night but it turns out that I didn’t save it properly so I had to rewrite everything.

ENTRY # 8

Dear Future Self,

     I can’t even. Seriously.

     Kyuhyun, get a grip of yourself, you need to make him beg for you. Got it? If you don’t you’ll just wind up getting hurt and that’s not so pretty. Prepare yourself for an all out wrestling match with Dr. Choi Siwon.

Love,

Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun looked around the posh living room of this humongous mansion. When he first entered the Choi Manor, it felt like he was in Narnia. He really didn’t know why Siwon’s parents wanted to meet him but that was what Siwon told him at the restaurant earlier.

As he looked around the very large living room—it’s two times bigger than his apartment—he saw an eerily familiar portrait of a man. He looked exactly like Siwon. Kyuhyun squinted his eyes and cringed. The guy is a splitting image of Siwon. He looked down at the solid gold tablet below the portrait. It says: Great Grand Father Woo Hyun.

He then turned his attention to a very funny looking figurine. It looked a like a cross between a horse and an ape. “You look like Siwon up close…” He whispered to the figurine as a slight smile crossed his face.

“What are you doing?” Siwon asked as he stepped inside the room. Kyuhyun turned to look at Siwon and placed the figurine back where it was placed.

“No—nothing.” He suddenly felt embarrassed because Siwon probably heard him.

Siwon looked at Kyuhyun with a very exasperated expression on his face. “C’mon, my mom and my dad are at the dining room, they want us to eat cookies and hot chocolate.”

Kyuhyun almost rolled his eyes. Tea and Hot Chocolate? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Siwon led Kyuhyun to a Grecian inspired dining are complete with scary looking portraits og Greek Gods and Goddesses, one in particular that scared him as Aphordite—Kyuhyun knows that she’s supposed to be seductive but she went away from being a seductress to a scary looking creature with thick red lips. Kyuhyun cringed a little.

“You must be Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun looked up and saw two people looking at him with inquisitive gazes. He took an audible gulp. They must be Siwon’s parents. “Hello, it’s nice to meet you.” Kyuhyun took a bow to show his respect to the two elders.

Once he looked up there was a disgusted look on the face of Siwon’s mother and made Kyuhyun feel awkward. Kyuhyun quietly took a seat but his poor coordination got the best of him and he knocked over a very expensive looking bottle of wine. As it came crashing down the clean beige carpeted floor, Kyuhyun felt the gaze of Siwon’s mother boar through him, all the hairs at the back of his neck stood up.

Siwon just shook his head at Kyuhyun’s clumsiness.

“I’m sorry, If—if you could tell me where you bought it, I will buy you another one.” He said rather nervously. Something about Siwon’s parents reminded him of his scary math teacher when he was in elementary.

A tight seam formed on Mrs. Choi’s lips and she looked at Kyuhyun with her judgemental eyes. “I doubt you’ll find one here. That wine is one of a kind and we brought it in Paris, and even if you could, I bet you will never be able to afford it because that probably costs more that what you earn in your job for two straight months.”

Ouch.

Siwon leaned in to whisper. “Mom, aren’t you being a little harsh? It’s just wine.” Mrs. Choi help up her hands, a signal for Siwon to stop talking.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am, I was just…”

“I’m not done talking yet.” Mrs. Choi said in a nasal sounding voice. She looked at Kyuhyun up and down, as if assessing him and it made Kyuhyun even more uncomfortable. “I don’t which trash can my son picked you up but he’s we’re not a charity for poor people like you. I’m very accepting of my son’s choices when it comes to relationships but you…” She squinted her eyes at him and sneered. “you will never be one of us because you will never have what it takes to be rich. I’m sure you’re not even from an Ivy League school because judging from the way you look, it seems like you never even attended school. I’m sure your parents are so proud of raising someone like you. Oh, wait, may be your parents put you up to this so that you can get money from our family. Well, need I inform you that you will never, not even once, be able to hoard money from us; not from my son, not from my husband, and definitely not from me, so I suggest, you forget this Cinderella story you made up with your imagination and forget about my son.”

Siwon tried to stop his mother from saying nastier things because she was being very harsh. Mr. Choi just shook his head and ate.

Kyuhyun balled his fists as tears threatened to fall down. He willed himself not to cry because he will never show his vulnerable side to this woman. He can take any insult but if anyone would call his parents names, that’s something entirely different because if there was anything his parents taught him, it was to never let other people make you feel inferior because they don’t know who you are. Yes he may not have been such a good person but this woman doesn’t deserve to be respected. With his mind made up, he stood up loudly, the chair he was sitting at awhile ago falling over.

“Mrs. Choi, you may think of yourself as a classy woman, but with the things you told me, you proved that you belong in the trash can as well. You dare insult my parents once again and I will make sure that your reputation will die together with your son’s. And for your information, I graduated at the top of my class at Yonsei University. I may have been on a full scholarship but I am damned proud of myself for earing my tuition fee and helping my parents along the way by working as a part time employee in any job you could ever imagine. I don’t care about your power because every fire can be extinguished in  a snap, you could lose all of these in a snap and I will be there watching you with a smile on my face. Oh and by the way, just because you’re old, doesn’t mean you can get a pass and insult someone you just met.” With that, Kyuhyun turned his back and walked away with his dignity and pride very much intact.

 

“C’mon pick up, pick up, pick up…” Siwon said as he rounded the corner that led to Kyuhyun’s office. He knew that his mother had gone too far earlier but he and Kyuhyun agreed on a contract and he can’t just back out. Siwon really didn’t know why his mother was suddenly like that and even when he asked her to explain her actions, she just shrugged and got out of the dining room.

He had been trying to contact Kyuhyun for about a dozen times and it bothered him that the other man hadn’t been picking up his calls. He sighed heavily when Kyuhyun answered before he was about to end the call. “What do you want? I’m very busy so please make it quick because my boss really didn’t appreciate it when I took the half of the day off.”

“Can we talk?” Siwon said as he pulled over to the side of the News Paper Company.

Kyuhyun sighed. “Did you not hear me? I have a lot of things to do.”

Siwon really didn’t like the way Kyuhyun was talking to him but he ignored it and spoke up again. “Are you free tonight then? We can talk at the coffee shop.”

There was a long pause on the other line, somehow, Kyuhyun seemed to be taking his time in giving Siwon an answer. “Alright. How does nine in the evening sound.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon then.”

Kyuhyun didn’t bother to respond and just dropped the call.

 

It was already nine thirty and Kyuhyun was just getting out of the office. He had been receiving text messages from Siwon but he didn’t write him a reply because he literally was dealing with stacks of papers that needed to be revised—a punishment, if you will from his boss. He knew that Siwon doesn’t like waiting for people but what choice did he have. As he was walking down the bus stop, everything that Siwon’s mother told him just came rushing back. He balled his hands into fists.

It really made him angry that someone would say those mean things about his parents even though they don’t know who they are. If they did then they would eat their words. As the bus rolled by, Kyuhyun stood up and got on it. Siwon was probably gone back home by now. Kyuhyun really didn’t have the energy to talk even look at Siwon right now because he’s just too tired.

And it really didn’t help that he’s head is pounding too much that his face was starting to get really pale. He forgot to eat lunch and dinner again. When he reached the stop where he’s going to alight to, he lugged himself out of the bus and slowly walked as he felt his vision blur a little. He shook his head, willing himself not to topple over because that would be too much to live down somehow, it made his headache worst because everything started to spin and his vision started to get quite blurry. He tried to grasp for something to hold on to but he kept of grasping air. He suddenly just lost is balamce and was laying flat on the ground as he heard someone approaching him—it’s a man.

He looked at the man’s blurry face.

“Are you okay?”

 

Kyuhyun woke up a feeling very light headed. The sun was shining so bright and he sat up and suddenly saw unfamiliar furnitures surrounding him. “So, you’re awake now.”

Kyuhyun turned to look behind him and saw a man probably in his late twenties giving him a warm smile. “Uh….why—why am I here?” He asked nervously.

The man chuckled and handed Kyuhyun some Advil for his headache. “Relax, I just took you to my place because you passed out near the Bus Stop, and since you didn’t have an I.D. with you and I couldn’t crack your phone’s password, I decided to bring you here to my apartment.”

“I—I passed out?” Kyuhyun’s voice trembled.

The other man nodded. “You were a mess last night. If you want you can eat breakfast here before you go.”

“No…um—thanks for the offer but I’m not hungry.” Kyuhyun’s stomach was having none of it because it growled loudly making the other man chuckle loudly. “I guess I can stay for breakfast then.”

“That’s really good to hear then.” He motioned for Kyuhyun to join him at the dining table and removed the cover of the plates. All of them were mouthwatering. He had cheesy omelet, fried rice and a little cupcake that smelled absolutely delicious.

“Did you make these?” Kyuhyun asked as he began chomping down on the food before him, forgetting his table etiquette—his grandmother will be so livid if she saw Kyuhyun like this.

The man nodded. “Yeah, I own a little restaurant down stairs, it close to the bus stop, you can come by anytime.”

“Sorry, where are my manners, I’m Cho Kyuhyun by the way.” He held his hand out and the man gladly shook it with friendly fervor.

“I’m Kim Yesung.”

ENTRY # 8

Stay Tuned for More…