ENTRY # 11

The Bachelor

ENTRY # 11

 

Dear Future Self,

     I only have one thing to say about all of the things you’re going through: GOOD LUCK!

Kyuhyun.

“What’s happening here?” Kyuhyun asked with a mortified expression on his face. He looked around all the red stickers on the furniture, kitchen ware and even the delivery van. Yesung looked up and bit his bottom lip. Tears were b to cascade down his cheeks. Kyuhyun sat next to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

“It turns out that the land lord hadn’t been paying the loan sharks and he used this whole building—including the furniture as a collateral without my knowledge.” Yesung’s voice cracked a bit as he spoke. “I thought I could trust that land lord because he is one of my best friends but I guess I was wrong.”

Kyuhyun felt so bad because just a few days ago, Yesung was happy about everything that’s been going on in his life and it all crumbled in one swoop. “I wish I could say something to make you feel better but I can’t even begin to describe the whole situation.”

Yesung looked at Kyuhyun and flashed him a sad smile. “You don’t have to do that. I mean, being your friend is more than enough already.”

This statement made Kyuhyun’s heart flutter. “Um…I…I…I---that make me happy then.” Kyuhyun then remembered that Yesung’s apartment is just above the restaurant. “Do you have a place to stay?”

Yesung shook his head. “Nope. I still don’t but I’m planning on just living in a motel for a  couple of days and hopefully find a job at a restaurant.”

“None sense,” Kyuhyun said. “You don’t have to live in a motel, you can stay with me and my sister, besides I have a spare mattress in my room that you can use.”

Yesung seemed a little taken aback by what Kyuhyun had said. “Are—are you sure about that? I mean, I don’t want to intrude or anything.”

Kyuhyun smiled and patted Yesung’s shoulder lightly. “You won’t intrude. Besides, my sister could use your tutolage because she can’t cook to save herself, I mean, how will I marry her off someday?”

This made Yesung chuckle a little.

 

Click. Click. Click.

A photographer snapped away as he hid inside his car with the windows rolled down partially. His phone suddenly buzzed and he placed his Nikon D90 on the shotgun side of the car. He picked his phone up and answered the call. “Sir, Cho Kyuhyun is at the restaurant.”

“Send me the pictures then…”

 

Siwon almost broke his Mac Book in half when he saw the pictures that the private eye sent him. Why is Kyuhyun in that restaurant. Siwon thought that if Kyuhyun learned about Yesung’s difficulties that he would back away and reject the other man but somehow, his plan failed…again.

He really has no idea how to make this situation better.

 

“I hope that the ambiance of my apartment is good for you.” Kyuhyun said as he gave Yesung a bottled water. Yesung gladly accepted it and popped the cap and took a hearty swig of it.

“Actually, your apartment is better than mine, so I can’t say anything.” Yesung winked a little although Kyuhyun knows that Yeusng was just showing a façade of optimism. Somehow, it made Kyuhyun very sad.

“How are you holding up?” Kyuhyun asked as he motioned for Yesung to sit on the couch. The other man gladly took a seat and sighed heavily.

“Do you want me to sugar coat it or tell you the truth?” Yesung flicked an imaginary lint on his Seoul University Jacket.

“Well, I want to know how you really feel since I’m your friend.” Kyuhyun placed a hand Yesung’s shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. Yesung offered him a friendly smile.

“Well, I’ve been feeling like crap, obviously, and now, my so called friends from when I was a teenager vanished into thin air when the caught wind about my situation.” Yesung pouted. “I guess social standing is also a criteria for real friendship nowadays, don’t you think?”

Kyuhun shrugged. “Well, I’m not like that.”

“I know.” Yesung agreed. “You’re different.”

 

After countless hours in the operating room, Dr. Choi Siwon finally had the time to unwind. He checked his watch as he buttoned his Armani Exchange dress shirt. It was already two thirty in the afternoon. He sighed a little before putting on his neck tie but his finger couldn’t manage to make a not. Suddenly, he felt everything coming back, in one swift, vicious blow. As his right arm began to feel numb again.

It was Sunday evening and Mr. Choi was driving his car beyond the speed limit. Since there weren’t any cars in the road. His wife was on the passenger side of the car while his son, twelve year old Siwon was sound asleep in the backseat.

It had been a very tiring day for everyone because of the court appearance his family had to make. You see, his father foreclosed a lot of companies and did some major laying off that ticked off most employees. As a result, a case was filed against his father but there really wasn’t any evidence which enabled Mr. Choi to get out of jail, unscathed. So after the trial, they decided to celebrate and winded up going home at around eleven in the evening.

“Slow down.” Mrs. Choi told her husband as she looked nervously at an empty road.

“Oh, Min Suk, there’s nothing to worry about, it’s already pretty late. No cars will be here. Just us, so let’s celebrate.”

“I just want to get home safely, Sweetie.”

Suddenly, there was a very loud honk and it woke Siwon up. He looked at his right side had to squint because the lights we very bright. Suddenly, Siwon’s mother let out a piercing scream and before the young boy knew it, a loud crash partnered with a sharpshooting pain in his arm and suddenly the car spun a few times before jolting.

Cold sweat covered Siwon’s body as he began to shiver. He would never ever forget waking up three days later and couldn’t feel his right arm. His parents—especially his father—were very apologetic to Siwon because they knew that Siwon is a great artist because he sketched beautiful pictures up until the accident. This is the reason why he rarely visit his parents and why he holds a grudge towards his father.

Thankfully though, physical therapy helped him regain his ability to move his right arm but he was never able to draw again because there were psychological effects that happens whenever he tries to do so. Even in picking up a pencil, he would feel pain. His guidance counselor told him that he was traumatized because of the accident and the thought of drawing again or even holding something related to sketching can trigger this disorder that he has.

But why is it happening now?

 

Kyuhyun was busy cooking dinner with Yesung when his phone started to buzz. He took it out of the pocket of his baggy shorts and saw the caller ID. His throat constricted.

It was Choi Siwon.

Kyuhyun hit the ignore button and went back to slicing the meat as thinly as possible, just like what Yesung showed him. Just when Kyuhyun was starting to get the hang of things, his phone buzzed once again.

Kyuhyun got really annoyed and picked it up. He excused himself and took the call in his room. “What do you want?”

“Kyuhyun…can we—talk?”

Judging by the way Siwon’s voice was slurred, Kyuhyun could only guess how much Siwon had to drink.

“Why should I talk to you?” Kyuhyun didn’t really want to deal with Siwon right now especially if he’s in this drunk state. Who knows what this man would to him, right?

“Please…I…I…need you…”

Kyuhyun felt a tug on his heartstrings.

“Okay…where are you now?” He knew that he would come to regret this if he would do it but his sensitiveness kicked in.

 

Even if it’s freezing outside and Kyuhyun really hated feeling the cold bite of the night, there he was, walking towards the playground near the chicken restaurant in his street. He saw Choi Siwon sitting on one of the swings.

Kyuhyun shook his head and sighed heavily as he approached the other man who really looked pissed drunk. Once he was in front of Siwon, he cleared his throat. Siwon looked up and for the first time since Kyuhyun met Siwon, he literally looked like a bum compared to his usual sleek style.

“You’re here…” Siwon groggily stood up only to stumble a few steps and almost squashed Kyuhyun in half. Kyuhyun felt Siwon’s heavy weight as the heaviness shifted on his body uncomfortably. Kyuhyun was having a hard time trying to get Siwon to stand properly. “Thanks for coming…”

Kyuhyun’s ear tingled a little. He found himself smiling a little. “For someone who is suing me, you sure are being too close for comfort…”

Siwo pulled away a little. “I was just trying to scare you…and besides,” Siwon paused as a hiccup escaped from his lips giving Kyuhyun a full frontal of how Siwon’s breath smelled so bad. Kyuhyun tried not to gag at the smell. “Those documents are all fake…”

Kyuhyun felt his blood boiling and he pushed Siwon away from him making him. “What did you say?”

Siwon chuckled as he tried to control his balance. “Well, it’s a really funny story…” he paused as he looked at Kyuhyun and hiccupped once again. “I was planning on making you make you get down on your knees and beg me to forgive you but it turns out…you’re pretty ready to take on the case.”

“Are you out of your mind?” Kyuhyun asked loudly, How can a person do such an thing? “How on Earth did you do that?”

“Well, I bribed and threatened my attorney until he said yes.”

Siwon said this shamelessly and it made Kyuhyun think even less of the man. “Do you even know that you’ll have criminal liability because of what you did?”

“It was just a way to scare you…” Siwon chuckled as he found the chain link of the swing quite interesting.

Kyuhyun raised both hands in defeat. “You know what, I can’t do anything for you and more importantly, I don’t want to be near you, so please, just leave me alone and don’t call me…ever.” He walked away not bothering to look back until he heard a thud. He turned around and saw Siwon on the ground. Just my luck.

 

“This is just great.” Kyuhyun huffed out as he piggybacked Siwon from the park, to his apartment building. Now, his lungs felt like it will give out any second now as he dragged his feet towards the door. He slowly punched the key code and sighed in relief as the door unlocked.

“Kyuhyun, where…oh…”

Yesung was holding ladle in his hand with a very surprised expression on his face. Immediately he shook his head and walked towards Kyuhyun to help him. “So, I guess Choi Siwon called you.”

“Yep. He called me.” Kyuhyun did not try to mask the annoyance in his voice because of the heavy load he had to carry. “I was literally embarrassed because everyone stared at me as I carried this man.”

They unloaded Siwon on the coach and Kyuhyun began to take deep breaths as he tried to regain his composure. “That man is seriously in dire need of psychological help.”

Yesung looked serious as well. “Seeing him here still hurts a little because of what happened in the past.” He turned away.

“I’m sorry I brought him here, it just didn’t have the heart to leave him there on the groud.”

Yesung shook his head. “Nah, it’s cool, I mean, I would do the same thing you did even if he did ruin my life in high school.”

A smile formed on Kyuhyun’s lips as he patted Yesung on the shoulder. “Can you help me put him in my sister’s room, she’s away for an exchange student program in Canada so I guess Siwon can use that spare room, are you okay with it, I mean, I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable to sleep in my room like I offered you.”’

Yesung shook his head. “I’m okay with it…” He scratched his head. “You don’t snore, right?”

“I snore like there’s no tomorrow.”  

Yesung’s face paled a little. Kyuhyun chuckled. “I’m kidding.”

Yesung chuckled. “Let’s get him in your sister’s room then?”

“Let’s do it.”

 

“Thank you for dinner…and for helping me out with that man.” Kyuhyun pointed towards the door of the room where Siwon was sleeping. Yesung nodded.

“Hey, you took me in your apartment and became a very good friend so I guess it’s just right that I cook dinner for you.”

“I did well, didn’t I?” A proud smile spreads across Kyuhyun’s face.

“You did.”

After talking for about an hour or so and brushing their teeth, Yesung and Kyuhyun retired to the latter’s room. As Yesung was setting up the matters on the floor, Kyuhyun began to put in his retainers.

Yesung looked at Kyuhyun and smiled. “You wear retainers?”

“Yeah, I need them so my teeth won’t get…”

“Crooked.” Yesung said. “I wear them at night to. My dentist warned me that if I don’t wear them, they’ll not only migrate but they will back pack for a few years before coming back.”

This made Kyuhyun laugh.

“And the funny thing is, after thirteen years, I still believe it.” Yesung inserted his retainers as well. Kyuhyun began to yawn as he stretched his arms out.

“Can you turn off the lights?” Kyuhyun asked Yesung who did as he was asked to. Kyuhyun fell asleep immediately.

Yesung smiled and leaned in and kissed Kyuhyun’s forehead. “Thank you.” Then, he felt brave and kissed Kyuhyun’s lips softly. He didn’t know why he did it but when he first met Kyuhyun, he felt something different about him. In the dark room, he knew that he was blushing already but he felt himself feeling scared in the process because what if Kyuhyun belongs to Siwon.

He did not want to relieve what happed several years ago.

 

END OF ENTRY # 11

Stay Tuned for More…