My Own

This Is It

A/N: My longest one yet. Hopefully, I don't bore you. Enjoy:)

 

"Hello my dear viewers! As you can tell, I'll be doing a drum cover today. But before we get to that. I would like to thank everyone for all your comments on my previous cover of Eye of the Tiger by Survivor! I was kinda worried that you guys would be disappointed that I just sang to the original music. It was just that I felt that I shouldn't mess with the original, just purely because of how amazing it is. So thank you very much for appreciating that. Also, I've heard about your support for my friend Hyemi's video. She was so excited about your overwhelming response and we're both really grateful for your support! Please keep watching out for more choreography videos by Hyemi you guys! 

Alright. So, today, I will be playing Bon Jovi's It's My Life. I'm not rearranging this piece either. One reason is because, well you know, it's amazing just the way it is but more importantly it's my Dad's favourite song, he had it playing so much that it turned out to inspire me to pick up the drums but anyway yeah I wanted to play it just the way he loved it. So to my inspiration and pillar of support, this one is for you! Happy Birthday, Dad!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright! So that's all I have for today! Thank you for watching and keep supporting me! Keep your comments coming! I love you guys! Byeeeee"

And that's a wrap.

"Well, at least that went smoothly. I should probably head down to the gym before getting ready to go" I say as I pick up my phone

"Hello?"

"Hey Hyemi! Want to go to the gym with me today?"

"I'm kinda lazy today"

"So you're free today?"

"Erm.. yes?"

"Alright I'll see ya there in half an hour! Bye!"

"BUT!"

"Hahaha sorry Hyemi I didn't quite catch that. God she's gonna kill me!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"WHY YOU LITTLE PIECE OF"

"Woah woah there's a kid behind you! Language!"

"Paper, I was just gonna say paper"

"HAHAHA right let's just pretend I believe you"

"Hey, don't get smart with me! You forced me out of the comforts of my bed when I wanted to just rest at home."

"I never forced you into anything. You had a choice not to turn up"

"... but.."

"But?" I look at her with a teasing smile

"I would have felt guilty"

"Still your choice though"

".... I hate you"

"Thanks! I already know you love me. You don't have to go round announcing that"

"Are you deaf! I said I hate you! I'm really pissed with you Ellie. I really wanted to rest today"

"..."

"Forget it let's just get this over and done with"

"I'm sorry Hyemi"

"..."

"I probably went a little overboard today. I love teasing you and I really love your reactions to it. But I think I may have just crossed a line. I'm sorry"

"If you think you're getting off this easy you're.."

"I don't. I just really wanted to spend the day with you before heading into the office. It's my Dad's birthday and the company always celebrates his life on this day. It gets really hard for me sometimes so I thought we could hang out for a while, to keep my mood up"

"Ellie, can you just ask me next time? Like you know, the way normal people do. If you told me you really wanted to hang out I would have said yes"

"I'm sorry"

"You know.. sometimes you're so mature but other times you're such a child"

"So am I forgiven?"

"I can never stay angry with you, you lovable idiot. So what is the plan?"

"Gym, Lunch and then my place for a movie?"

"Alright let's head in then"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Loud whispering*

"Hey aren't those 2 Hyemi and Ellie. Ellie was in Hyemi's choreography video"

"omg yes I think it is them. I watched that video because of Ellie. She performed a short dance during Immortal Song without music. It was silent but you felt like there was music playing. That left such a lasting impression on me that I started looking her up on the internet and became a fan of her dance."

 

"Ellie, do they not realise that we can hear them?"

"Haha why are you complaining Hyemi? They're complimenting us aren't they?"

 

"Oh and man they're hot. Just look at those abs. I mean Hyemi's body is wow too. But Ellie is Bae"

"Haha more Hyemi for me then, but hey don't you have a boyfriend"

"Yes I do but Ellie is still Bae"

 

 

"Well Ellie, you still think it's okay?"

"Well you gotta admit, it's flattering"

"Don't you feel like.. like you're being violated or something"

"Listen to the good stuff, ignore the bad. Mom used to say that all the time"

"I swear, I am pretty sure half the life quotes I know come from you"

"Haha! Just half?"

"Shut it. You done with your workout? I am done with mine so I am gonna head into the showers"

"I'm almost done, I will head in shortly. You go ahead"

"Alright let's meet at the entrance once we're done"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Imonim, I'll have the kimchi Jjigae."

"Oh I want the same thing"

"Oh please give us 2 of that Imonim. Thank you"

"So what will be watching? Later I mean"

"MockingJay part 2, the last movie of the hunger games series. I haven't watched it yet. It has korean subs so no need to worry"

"Oh! I havent watched that either!"

"Well that's perfect Because I thought I might have to beg you to watch it again if you already had"

"Good for you then."

"You look disappointed"

"I lost the chance to watch you beg"

"AHAHAHA well too bad"

"My time will come. Good things are worth waiting for"

We both explode into laughter at that, earning us some incredulous stares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's movie time! do you want me to prepare some chips or popcorn or something?"

"Chips will do, thanks Ellie"

"Alright get yourself settled on the sofa bed, you know how to transform it into the bed right? I'll be there in a bit with the chips"

"Yeap I do! Hurry up alright, I can't wait to watch it"

"Here!"

"Okay, that was too quick. Come help me with the bed"

We start the movie once we're all set up.

Just before it starts, Hyemi scooted close to me and rested her head on my shoulder and I naturally wrapped my arm around her shoulders. Before I could help it, a lone tear escapes and falls on to Hyemi's cheek.

"Ellie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing.. it's just, Elise and I used to watch movies like this all the time. Her head on my shoulder, my arm around her shoulder"

"You guys sure were close"

"We were, it didn't help that we were twins" A pained laugh escapes my lips

".... well whenever you miss this just give me a call. I'll be here for you. Aren't we best friends? I mean that's what I have thought of you throughout these 2 years. I wasn't the only one was I?"

"... I guess you feel more like family to me, all I have."

"... I.. that's.. thank.."

"Don't worry, I know you don't do mushy. I know what you want to say"

"No. I want to say it. I never knew you thought of me that way. Thank you."

"Mushy looks good on you. That forehead kiss was on point"

"Shutup. That's all the mushy you get for today. Now stop teasing me and let's get back to the movie. Go all the way to the beginning, we missed everything."

"Well that was shortlived"

"Take it or leave it. Now shush. It's starting and I need to pay attention to the subs"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What should I wear?"

"How about this dress?

"No, not tonight. Dresses stress me out. I need to have a stable state of mind today."

"It isn't a formal event, is it?"

"Yeah it isn't"

"Alright then how about this pair jeans, this blouse and that blazer hanging way over there on the left?

"Hmm.. I think that'll work! Thanks Hyemi!"

"No prob. But hey Ellie, do you think I can stay the night today? I'll house sit in the mean time."

"Why out of the blue?"

"I just feel like it."

"Haha okay. Yeah sure, make yourself at home. Change into any of my clothes that you like."

"Awesome. Where do you keep the pyjamas sort of clothes again?"

"The chest of drawers there"

"Right got it. Now get your moving! You don't want to be late"

"Alright! See you in about 3 hours!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We mentioned earlier today that we have a special surprise for Ellie-shi. It's finally time to reveal what it is. YoungJin-shi will you do the honours?"

"Hi Ellie-shi. I recently found an old video from 9 years ago of your Dad, Ellie-shi. We did our best to restore it and would like to play this video for you now. In memory of your Dad."

I only manage a nod before the video starts playing.

 

"Hey boss! Say a few words to the camera!"

"Oh hey YoungJin! Gosh what should I say! I'm just having so much fun with you guys. It was one of my best decisions to move my business to Korea. Our staff is amazing. Both at work and at play.. the latter of which I am witnessing first hand right now at this party! Hahaha! The best part is they're not even drunk! Speaking of which, everyone has been such good sports about my no drinking at company parties policy, this opening party being the first. I'm glad they're having fun regardless. It's such a waste that Ellie and Elise couldn't be here. Oh that's my gorgeous little girls by the way. My babies would've been here if it wasn't for the change in the opening day. They had upcoming exams so that was unfortunate. The both of them love Korea. They fell in love with the language, when we came here for a holiday. They started learning the language as soon as they got back. They are really good already. God, I miss them"

"Why don't you say something to them boss! You'll never know, they might watch this some day"

"You know what YoungJin, you might just be right. So here goes.

Hey girl's, I really wish the both of you were here with Mom as well. Those rotten exams just had to get it the way! Haha but hey I'm sure you'll ace them, the both of you. I really miss you girls! I'll be back for a month in 2 weeks time. So hang in there! I love you both very much! Always remember that"

"I.. love you too dad. I miss you. All of you"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey so how was.. nevermind. Just come here"

"Hyemi.. it hasn't been this hard in so long. But they found an old video of Dad. One I have never seen before"

"Is that what you're holding so tightly in your hand?"

"I just really miss him, them. I want to watch it again but at the same time, I don't. I'm tired of crying myself to sleep, all alone"

"I'm here now, you're not alone and you're never going to be. I asked to stay the night for a reason. It's your Dad's birthday and I didn't want you to be alone. I mean I will never be able to replace your sister or parents. I couldn't even if I tried. But I will be there for you. You think of me as your family, don't you? Whatever you used to do with family, do it with me from now on. That okay?"

"... Will you watch this with me?"

"There's no doubt about it. Besides, I would love to be introduced to your Dad"

"....Thank you... I love you Hyemi. I hope you know that. Elise and my parents were about the only other people who's ever seen me this vulnerable. Your the best friend I could have ever wished for"

"Family remember?"

"Right family. Till today I've only thought about who I've lost, But now I realise I've gained someone"

"And you better remember that. So what do you say you give me a chance to get acquainted with your dad, then head out for ice cream. You'll feel better before you know it"

"Sounds like a plan.. thank you Hyemi.."

"I've kinda overloaded on the mushy so can we tone it down a little now?"

"Ahahaha stop doing that grossed out face Hyemi! It's hilarious!"

"You laughed.. Mission accomplished"

I smiled at that. It was at this moment that I felt that I really had someone to call my own again. After too long.

"I'm playing the video now. Are you gonna watch it or not? Wipe that goofy grin off your face and get over here"

Hey boss! ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ellie, what flavour do you wa.. what are you doing standing by the cakes? Do you want a slice of cake instead?"

"Oh erm no, I would like a double scoop. 1 rum & raisin and one Belgian chocolate. Thanks"

"Alright why don't you get us seats unless you'd rather walk home while having the ice cream?"

"Let's walk."

"Okay, come get yours. It's ready. Oh so is mine. We're done here so let's go"

A silent 10 mins passes by and we were back at my front gate.

"Hyemi?"

"Hmm?"

"What will you be doing 2 weeks from now?"

" I don't have plans yet, why? What's up?"

".... 8 years"

"Huh? I don't get it."

"Will you celebrate my birthday with me this year? It's been 8 years, but I want to spend it with you. Will you?"

"...You can count on it"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------