You're not there

This Is It

[Third Person POV]

"Ellie.. come on! It's been 2 months and you haven't stepped into your studio. At all. Not even once. Ever since she..." Hyemi started only to trail off, somehow not being able to bring herself to mention it in front of Ellie.

"I'm telling you, I just can't," Ellie said one word at a time with every punch she directed at her punching bag, each new punch harder than the previous.

"Look, Ellie, trust me I'm more than happy that you're not cooped up in your room in a ball of misery anymore. But this excessive aggression might not exactly be any better"

"I was just sad Hyemi. I did my crying. I cried and cried and cried and you know what? I'm still crying! If it wasn't for my fans, I wouldn't be getting up to go to work and getting through my schedule only to come home and just fall back into misery. But now I'm also angry. So so angry. I need this. I don't know what I'll do otherwise." Ellie said in a sort of rhythm, not stopping her punches.

Hyemi felt she needed to probe further but at that moment she just assumed that Ellie's sadness about the situation had transformed into anger so she continued. "You could always go back to focusing on your music? Maybe not in your own studio but your boss has been trying to get you back into your company studio to work on more music too hasn't he?"

"DO. NOT. EVEN. MENTION. THAT. ING. !!! He's the reason I'm so ING ANGRY" Ellie snapped back causing Hyemi to jump a little.

With that yell and one last punch, Ellie slowly turned to face Hyemi but with eyes downcast. Taking a deep breath, Ellie repeated herself, only this time softer, slower and with a lower tone than anything that Hyemi had ever heard from Ellie before. "Do not mention him again." With that Ellie took off her gloves and left her fitness room and headed off to shower, leaving Hyemi more confused than ever.

Hyemi had been visiting Ellie every single day she could ever since Sooyoung unnie left. She knew her friend needed her but Ellie had shut herself off. She refused to talk about it. She barely talked to Hyemi at all. Hyemi was lucky if Ellie said anything to her and when she did it would mostly be along the lines of "I'm heading off to work, you can let yourself out or stay if you'd like". The thing is though, Hyemi was hurt more every time Ellie actually did speak to her. But it was not because Ellie was rude or mean or anything of that sort but instead it was because Ellie still always tried hard to sound pleasant when she said those few words and the thing that ripped Hyemi's heart to shreds was that little smile Ellie would try to put on her face when she spoke to Hyemi. Ellie would look up at Hyemi to smile but the sadness and pain behind that smile were just so heart-wrenching. It was like her face was smiling but her heart was crying. Hyemi could not bear to see her friend suffering like that and so she just kept trying to get Ellie to talk to her but it was to no avail. A month of trying and Hyemi decided that she just had to be around for when Ellie herself decided she was ready to talk. This day had turned out a little different and Hyemi was hopeful. Instead of just coming home and closing herself off in her room, Ellie had initiated a conversation with Hyemi upon reaching home.

"Hey Hyemi, are you busy right now?" Ellie asked after putting her bag away.

"Huh? Oh, I erm yeah.. I mean no I'm not busy at all. Did you need something?" Hyemi stumbled over her words as she was a little taken aback and wasn't expecting Ellie to say anything to her.

"No just wondering if you'd want to work out with me? You could borrow some of my clothes if you need to" Ellie asked while removing her jacket but without looking directly at Hyemi.

"Oh yeah.. sure I'd love to and no worries I have some of my gym clothes here" Hyemi tentatively answered not sure if she'd really heard it right and that Ellie was really suggesting that they work out together.

"Okay yeah so let's get changed and I'll see you in the fitness room"

"Yeah sounds great see you in a bit"

Hyemi had headed back to the guest room, which Ellie always let her use freely, to get changed, all while trying to make sense of Ellie's change in behavior. That conversation was a first proper one they'd had in a long time although Ellie did not make eye contact with Hyemi at all this time around. Hyemi found that a little odd but it still seemed like some progress so she decided not to overthink it and hurried over to the fitness room. But that was as much progress as she was going to get. They spent an hour working out but Ellie didn't say a word the entire time. To be fair, they had a particular routine they always did when they worked out together so words weren't really necessary. When the hour was up and just when Hyemi thought she had an opening to initiate a conversation, Ellie had started to pull on her boxing gloves and was walking over to the punching bag at the other end of the room. Not wanting to miss the opportunity Hyemi quickly spoke.

"Oh Ellie, you're not done? Gonna get some boxing in too?"

"Yeah.. just.. some.. steam to blow off I guess" Ellie paused while replying as if trying to find the right words. Hyemi could tell that there was something else Ellie wasn't saying and decided to probe further.

"Is there something bothering you? Why don't you head down to your studio and work on some music? Music always helped you when you were stressed out?"

"I'm not going down there Hyemi.. I can't bear to"

 

And that's how the conversation eventually led to Ellie's outburst that left Hyemi so confused. It made no sense to her. Why did Ellie suddenly hate her boss so much and all of a sudden? Did that have anything to do with her change in behavior? These questions bombarded her mind and the only solution she could come up with was to talk to Ellie's manager. So she got up and grabbed her phone and dialed his number.

"Hello?"

"Oh hey Jaemin-shi, I wanted to talk to you about Ellie and I was wondering if you could spare me some time today? It's 7pm now so I was thinking maybe 8.30?"

"Yes, that's possible. I had been meaning to ask this of you myself so I guess it all works out then, I'll see you later at the cafe opposite the company." Jaemin-shi agreed readily clearly having something he needed to talk about as well.

Jaemin having something to share with regards to Ellie made Hyemi's concern grow prompting her to hurriedly get ready to meet her best friend's manager. "Ellie, I'm going to head home now. Call me if you need anything okay? I love you, buddy! I'll see you tomorrow" Hyemi called out before rushing off. As agreed Jaemin arrived at the cafe at 8.30 pm sharp. After getting their drinks and settling in Jaemin decided to speak up first.

"Well, it all started today during rehearsal for an upcoming schedule. Everything was going just fine until we revealed that we were going to prepare for her next comeback and that we were looking at a mini album and that the intended concept was break-ups."

Hyemi let out an audible gasp at the last few words earning a raised eyebrow from Jaemin. Not really sure what to make of that reaction, Jaemin just continued.

"Yeah well, so the problem started when we asked her to write a song of her own as well, a break-up song. But she just simply refused. She just said that she'd sing whatever song we had in mind and that she wouldn't write one. That just left all of us so confused. Hasn't she always wanted to make her own music? I mean I've only known her for 2 months but this seemed like really odd behavior even to me but the producers and I decided to just let her be for the time being. Unfortunately, this somehow reached the ears of the boss and he came into the rehearsal room."

Hyemi leaned forward, she just knew the boss had to be the key to solving what was bothering Ellie. Taking that as a sign to keep going, Jaemin carried on.

"So when the boss came in, he asked why she did not want to write a song and just kept pushing for her to write one. His idea was that one written by her would be the most honest one. Ellie was just so adamant that he suddenly burst out with something that left the rest of us shocked. He basically yelled something along the lines of 'Shouldn't this be the perfect opportunity for you to write a break-up song? Since you're just coming out of a recent break-up? How long has it been, 2 months?' Ellie looked so broken after hearing those words and I couldn't bear to look at her and looked away but then I heard her speak softly. She said "Hold on, how did you know that there was a break-up? And that it was exactly 2 months ago?" I mean even I didn't know about any break-up or let alone that she was dating someone. Curious, I looked up just at about the same time she raised her head. This time all I saw was confusion and some anger. But before I could find out more we were all sent out of the room and it was just her and the boss. A lot of yelling could be heard from the office and 30minutes later Ellie stormed out furious. I honestly don't know what's going on. Do you Hyemi-shi?"

When Jaemin was done with his monologue, Hyemi was left shocked, hand over . This was it. This explained everything. Why Ellie was so angry. Hyemi was supposed to head home but she decided she needed to head back to Ellie's. Hyemi quickly started packing her things and moved to head out.

"Wait Hyemi-shi? Aren't you going to say anything? Maybe explain to me?" Jaemin asked, slightly offended that she was going to leave without saying anything.

"Another time Jaemin-shi. All I know is that she needs her friend right now and I need to go be with her. Thank you for your time and I will call you." And with that Hyemi ran out to her car leaving Jaemin to wonder what had just happened.

'I'm on my way, Ellie. I'll be there soon. Hang in there buddy' was all Hyemi could think about her entire ride home.

Barely remembering to lock her car behind her Hyemi dashed into Ellie's house and straight to Ellie's room. Stopping in front of the door, Hyemi knocked before opening the door slowly. She was met with the sight of Ellie sitting at the edge of her bed, body slumped forward, head in her hands.

"Hey Ellie, are you o... how are you doing?"

Upon hearing Hyemi's voice Ellie looked up at her with tears spilling down her face.

"Hyemi.. they made her leave... Hyemi I didn't even get to say goodbye... All this while I thought I did something wrong... I thought she didn't love me enough to stay... Hyemi I.. it just hurts so bad. It must have been so painful for her too" Ellie finished hand on chest squeezing her shirt in an attempt to alleviate the pain.

"Oh Ellie, come here, I'm here for you. Just cry it out. We can talk later." Ellie stayed in Hyemi's embrace until she eventually fell asleep. As much as Hyemi wanted to know everything, she could wait. She had to. Ellie's voice broke with every word she spoke and seeing her friend so broken and finally knowing the reason behind it made her blood boil. She had to wait. Even if that meant a long excruciating sleepless night.

Having not had a minute of sleep Hyemi groggily headed into the kitchen the next morning to grab herself a coffee only to find Ellie already sitting there with 2 cups of coffee ready. Hyemi moved to sit across Ellie but Ellie did not look up. She seemed distracted while fiddling with the handle of the cup but Hyemi knew Ellie was ready to talk.

"Ellie, I spoke to Jaemin-shi yesterday and I have a general idea of what happened. Do you want to talk about it?" Hyemi slowly probed. Letting out a sigh Ellie finally spoke.

"I could not write a breakup song Hyemi, that would have made it officially over. I didn't wanna let it be so I refused and stood by it. That's when he said it. He said I broke up 2 months ago. How could he possibly have known that? No one knew..."

*Flashback*

"I'm asking you again boss, how did you know that I broke up 2 months ago?!"

"It was for your own good Ellie"

"Wha... What are you talking about? What was for my own good?"

"Your career would have been ruined. It was not even a normal relationship!"

"What the hell are you talking about? Why can't you just give me a straight answer?! I SAID HOW.... "  

"I had no choice! She had to leave. She breached her contract. Plus Ellie if word got out..." 

The realization had hit Ellie at this point. Soo left because of him. Because he made her leave. 

"No.. you didn't. Please tell me you didn't. Please. PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T TELL SOO TO LEAVE"

"It was for your own goo.." 

"STOP SAYING THAT! IT WAS NOT FOR MY OWN GOOD. NO ONE KNEW! WHAT HARM WOULD THAT HAVE CAUSED?"

"No one knew? How do you think I found out? Junseop saw both of you together and freaked out. I managed to convince him to keep quiet about it but I had to make sure there was no chance for any rumor to start!"

"HOW THE IS MY LOVE LIFE YOUR ING BUSINESS. I AM ALLOWED TO DATE AFTER DEBUT REMEMBER?! AND YOU COULD HAVE JUST FIRED HER. WHY MAKE HER LEAVE ME FOR GOOD?!"

"Yeah, but how was I supposed to know you would choose to date a girl?"

"YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE LET THAT GO PUBLIC. I KNOW THE HATE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIRECTED AT BOTH OF US AND I WOULD NOT HAVE LET HER BE SUBJECTED TO THAT. WHY DIDNT YOU TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS FIRST?! WHY?! AND WHY DID YOU LIE TO ME? Why did you have to lie to me? I didn't even get to say goodbye.

"She chose what was right for you. She did the right thing. Now it's time for you to do the same and let her go."

"WHAT IS RIGHT FOR ME, IS TO BE WITH HER. YOU HAD NO RIGHT"

Feeling completely betrayed Ellie had stormed out of the room after that exchange.

*End of Flashback*

"So you see Hyemi she didn't leave me by choice. She was already insecure about our relationship being found out and he used that to his advantage. What's the use of having this amazing career when she's not there? When she's not there to share my successes. I love her so much and I know she does too. If only I knew how to find her. Seojun-shi doesn't want to tell me where she is no matter how hard I try."

With no more tears left to cry Ellie placed her head on the table face down prompting Hyemi to reach out and the top of her head. Reaching up to grab hold of Hyemi's hand, Ellie finally looks up at Hyemi without letting go.

"I'll help you, Ellie, I'll help you find her. I don't know how yet but I'll do my best"

"Thank you Hyemi, for saying that and for waiting this long. But I'm sorry for pushing you away. I just couldn't talk about it"

"I know Ellie, I know. So don't worry about it, okay babe? I knew you just needed time. At least now we know that not all hope is lost right?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe I should try talking to Seojun-shi again"

"Actually Ellie, while we figure something out, what are you going to do about your schedules and work?"

"I'll probably need to talk to Jaemin about it. Get him to keep the boss and Junseop out of my sight."

"Yeah, that might be a good idea. He seemed really confused but really concerned about you, and after the way I left him yesterday he probably could use an explanation. I think you can trust him"

"He's a nice guy and a good manager and I'm glad he had nothing to do with everything. Otherwise, I would have had no one to rely on in the company. Maybe I should give him a call now? I was going to meet him at the office for my schedule later but maybe it would be a better idea to meet me here instead. At least for now."

"Yeah, good call. If your phone's not with you now, here, you can use mine."

"Okay thanks, Hyemi"

Ellie patiently waited for Jaemin to answer.

"Hello, Hyemi-shi. You have a lot of explaining to..."

"No Jaemin, It's me, Ellie. And I'm the one that owes you an explanation. I know we agreed to meet at the office but do you mind coming over to my place instead? We can head off from there"

"A..Alright yeah. Should I get Junseop to come along with your outfits?"

"NO! I mean.. no need. Just send me pictures and I'll choose and you can bring it along with you. There's something I need to talk to you about. Alone."

"Okay then. I'll see you in about an hour. Check your phone for the photos okay".

 

The explanation couldn't have gone any better. When Jaemin finally arrived Ellie let him get settled before finally speaking up but she most definitely did not expect his calm reaction.

"So that's what happened huh... You and Sooyoung... wow I didn't know" he said slowly while simply nodding his head.

"Yes, but you can't tell anyone about this. I'm really trusting you on this one" Ellie added still taken aback by his calmness.

"I know this must have taken a lot and thank you for trusting me with this. I know the seriousness of this more than you can imagine" Jaemin said earning curious looks from the girls.

"Huh, what do you mean?" Hyemi decided to ask.

"Well seeing how you've trusted me with this, I think there's something I should show you both." Jaemin then reached to grab his phone and showed the girls a picture.

"Oh, but that's just a picture of you. But who's that guy you're with? I mean I do think I have seen him around you though" It was Ellie's turn to ask a question ask while taking a sip of water.

"My boyfriend"

"...your.. oh wow... your... I could not have picked a better person to trust" Ellie had chocked a little upon hearing Jaemin's answer. She had not expected that at all.

"Yeah so I really understand how you feel. Even a nobody like me doesn't publicize such a relationship in Korea. I know you would have done everything to keep it a secret. What the boss did was really not necessary. So don't worry. I'll minimize your interaction with both of them. You can count on me. But now that I know everything, do you mind if I suggest something?" Jaemin now had some determination in his eyes. He really did seem like he wanted to help too.

"Yeah go for it"

"Seeing how she did not really want to leave you, I'm sure she keeps track of everything you are doing and never misses a performance or appearance. So I was thinking that from now on, we should choose song covers that you want her to hear. What do you think? And I was thinking we could start tonight if you think we could get something ready by then."

"That actually sounds like an amazing idea Jaemin. And you know what, I think I already know what I want to sing. The only problem is that I haven't been in my studio for the past 2 months. It's probably a mess down there."

"Hyemi to the rescue! Don't worry Ellie. I had you covered! I went in to clean up once in a while so its good to go"

"Did I ever tell you that I love you Hyemi."

"So many times that I used to get sick of it but now I miss it so keep it coming"

"Hahaha, Hyemi really though what would I do without you?"

"God you have no idea how good it is to hear you laugh again"

Ellie just smiles at that comment and pulls Hyemi in for a hug

"Anyway, what is the song that you're going to sing?" Jaemin asked with a smile on his face while looking at the two friends.

"Lukas Graham's You're not there. It used to only be a song that made me think about my family. But now I think about her too."

"I think it's perfect. Come, you should head down and get started. You don't have much time till the radio show tonight"

I hope you're watching Soo. I'm coming for you. Everything means nothing when you're not there.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: So I tried a Third Person point of view for this chapter because it seemed to work better. It took an entire year for my update so I hope the few of you still reading this story will like it and I would love your comments about it.

Read, Comment and Subscribe.

-ThisIsWhyINeedYou :)