Somewhere In Between

This Is It

"Mom? Is that you? OMG Dad? Elise!"

Within the next second, I was in their embrace. 

"I've missed you.. so so much... How could you.. how could you all leave me.. all at once? How could you.." Then it suddenly hit me.

"Wait.. How? How is it.. This.. How is it that I can see you? How are you here? Or where am I? Am I dead?"

"Well that's up to you baby" Mum said with a sad smile.

"Huh?" I said totally confused

"Relax sis, you're not dead. You're still hanging on, but barely. As to where we are.. let's just say... Somewhere in between?"

I looked at Elise. Still looking as she was when we were 15, not having aged a bit. Same went for mum and dad. Tears welled up in my eyes as I moved to hug them again. And this time, I had no intentions to let go.

"I don't want you to leave me again. Please don't. I want us to be a family again"

"What about the people you'll be leaving behind? What about them Ellie? Will you be okay with how they would feel if they lost you? We've had our time together, although cut short prematurely, we still had those years together. Is the time spent with them, time spent with Soo, enough for you?" Dad asks with a concerned look on his face.

"I.."

"This is it, Ellie, You have a choice to make. Your past.. us? Or your future.... them?

 

"Baby, isn't it crazy that we are born only to die?
But lately, I've been counting my stars
'Cause I will spend my whole life loving you~"

I heard familiar lyrics being sung in a bare whisper just before opening my eyes. It took a while before my eyes could focus and what registered was an unfamiliar surrounding. All stiff, I strained a little to turn to look around. I smiled. My Soo was sitting there, eyes closed. The only thing familiar about that place. I was about to say something when I hear it again.

"And now, as I stand beside you I say

Baby, isn't it crazy that we are born only to die?
But lately, I've been counting my stars
'Cause I will spend my whole life loving you~

Please wake up Ellie, I want to spend my whole life loving you.. with you here."
 

It was then that I noticed the tears running down her face and it finally came back to me. I realised where I was and remembered what got me there.

This was so not happening again.

That was my last thought before my instincts took over, my instincts to protect her. I rammed my foot on the accelerator and swerved left. I was trying to avoid getting too much impact on Soo's side. As a result of my reaction, we had actually avoided the collision but I ended up in the way of a few other cars. Amidst maneuvering through the cars I failed to see a motorcyclist coming out from a corner. I hit the breaks so hard, I lost control and drove straight into a lamppost on a nearby sidewalk. The next and last thing I remembered was people rushing over to look into our car before blacking out.

"S..Soo" I barely managed, throat too dry to talk.

In a matter of seconds, she was up and holding me in her embrace and sobbing. I had never seen her cry that hard before and it was so painful to watch. To think of how much more pain I could have caused...

"Ellie, you're back. I'm.... so glad you're.... back. I was... so not ready.. I couldn't lose you... Not when I just got you.. The doctor's.... they said they couldn't say for sure.... when you'd wake up. But I am so happy... you are up.... These past 2 weeks... they have been torture. Hyemi.... is going to be so happy... And gosh your fans too" She slowly managed between sobs.

Still feeling parched all I could manage was.. "Water.."

"OMG sorry Ellie. Let me get some for you."

She quickly poured some in a cup, grabbed a straw from the bedside table of my hospital room and brought it over to me carefully.

All I needed was a sip because there was something I really needed to say.

"Soo.. I will spend my whole life loving you too"

Still feeling tired I slowly drifted back to sleep, with the thought of Soo's face, tears rolling down her cheeks but this time the frown was gone and replaced by a small smile.

 

- A couple of hours later-

"Hey hey... everyone, I think she is waking up" I heard a familiar voice saying.

"Ellie unnie is waking up?" A little groggy voice said bringing a smile to my face.

When I finally opened my eyes, this time, I was greeted with so many other pairs staring back at me. Everyone was there. My staff... Hyemi.. my Soo.. Even Emily and baby Elise. As I looked at them tears formed in my eyes. These were the people I came back to and the expressions they shared showed me that my choice was right.

"Hey guys, ermm.. miss me?"

They all laughed, tears still falling regardless as all took turns to give me a hug. Coming back was the best thing I could have done for them.. and for myself.

That place where I was, where I saw my family again.. somewhere in between..I could probably just consider it a dream.. but it was something I was never going to forget. That's all it was going to have to be now though, a memory among the many beautiful memories I already have of them. I was just going to have to accept that but as I looked at the people standing in front of me, right at that moment, I knew they were my future and they were the ones who were going to make that possible, with memories of their own.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: You fight for the ones you love, even if it's to fight just to be with them. Ellie did that and so should you:)

Keep reading and do comment! Thank you!

~ThisIsWhyINeedYou :)