Just as Promised

This Is It

"Today's guest is singer/songwriter and music producer Ellie from England!"

 

It's been a full month since the episode of Immortal Song aired and I've been invited to Kim ShinYoung's Hope Song.

 

"Hello everyone! Ellie-imnida"

"Ellie-shi, it's nice to meet you. You know who I am, don't you"?

"OMG yes of course I do! I've known you since 2010!"

"2010? That was a while ago. Which program do you know me from?"

"Oh erm.. I don't really remember which program it was in particular, because at that time I only watched programs that Girls' Generation was on"

"Oh? I thought you were a fan of Mamamoo?"

"I am. But I was a SONE first. Like crazy levels. I'd listen to their songs every single day. Their voices just made me happy. They were the ones who got me through my.." I pause a moment. "My loneliness and pain"

Kim Shin Young seemed a little lost at what to say.

"My favourite song of theirs is Complete and it still is one of my all-time favourite songs. I'm still a really big fan although I consider myself a moomoo now as well." I say to ease the tension I caused unintentionally.

"Aaah so you like them both. Who do you like better? SNSD or Mamamoo?"

"That'll be like asking me to choose between Mom and Dad. I can't choose. I love them both" I say with a smile realising I was making it more uncomfortable by referring to my family again.

"Okay well at least choose the next song you would like to listen to"

"SNSD's Complete Please"

"Alright, we'll listen to that and be right back! Keep listening for more of Ellie-shi everyone"

And we're off-air. 

"I'm sorry if I put you on the spot by talking about my family and all. I'm really okay with talking about them. They are my family after all. That performance was particularly difficult because it was a dream my twin and I shared. There's really no need for hesitance to talk about them. But still, I am really sorry if you felt uncomfortable earlier"

"It's okay Ellie-shi, I just wasn't really sure what to say and what not to. Are you really okay with talking about them?

"Yes definitely. I spent a lot of time grieving initially. The mere thought of them hurt. But one day I snapped out of it. My family wouldn't want me to waste my life feeling sad and sorry for myself, would they? They'd want me to be happy. Besides, my time with them has some of my best memories. So I focused on the good not the bad."

"That's a very good mindset to have. Good on yo.. Oh we're going back on air soon"

"And we're back! Did everyone enjoy the song? Oh look at the comments coming in now! Viewer #1 says: I love this song a lot too! Viewer #2 says: SNSD is awesome as always. Eh? hahaha that came out of the blue! Viewer #3 says Ellie-shi, how are you so pretty?"

"Hahahaha thank you very much! I'd have to give all the credit to my parents. They made me this way. And actually, for a moment there I forgot that this was a viewable radio broadcast. So thank you for reminding me"

"I see that some viewers are mentioning that you ride a cool motorbike.. some saying they've seen you near their office in a professional suit. Would you say you have a manly style?"

"No, I definitely wouldn't say that. That's just a stereotype. I actually have a strong dislike for stereotypes. I dress the way I want. Girls should have every right to dress the way they want and so do guys. I wear a suit when I go into my Dad's company for meetings because it's comfortable and there's something about it that gives me confidence."

"Do you wear dresses then? That must be difficult since you ride a motorbike."

"I do own a car as well so yes I do wear dresses but I will admit that it's rare that I do"

"You have a car too? At this age? Your inheritance?" The final question came out a little hesitant.

"Yes, my inheritance. My dad had it all planned out. My education was covered. I had our house and he had a lot of money saved up as well. Besides that, I also became the majority shareholder of his company. That's the reason why I did a double major."

"What was your other major again?"

"Engineering. My Dad's company staff are predominantly mechanical engineers and I felt that I needed to have some credibility to own the company."

"So technically you're all set for life. You don't have to work a single day"

"Yes you could say that, but I see it as not needing to work for money. I get to make music just because I absolutely love to. I know I have been blessed with many comforts of life. So I make sure I give back to those who aren't"

"We'll be back to listen to how perfect Ellie-shi is," Kim ShinYoung says earning an incredulous look from me before continuing " hahaha so Ellie-shi what song would you like to listen to next?"

"I'm not perfect! But erm I would like to listen to Mamamoo's 1cm. I absolutely love it when they perform this song. They killed it with the rock version they performed at their concert"

"Wow you definitely are a fan. Alright we'll be back after listening to Mamamoo's 1cm"

And we're back off-air

"Shin Young Unnie, c'mon I'm not perfect. Don't say that"

"You are very talented. Can I at least say that? Look at all the comments. They are praising you about everything. From your great Korean pronunciation to your singing,even your humility is getting a lot of praise. Just take the compliment. I'm your unnie so just listen to me" She finishes with playful firmness.

"Anyways, you're going to play for us a few covers next right? You can get ready now because you will be playing soon after we go back on air"

 

Just as I am done, we're back on-air. "Those of you watching probably saw Ellie-shi getting ready with the guitar. She'll be playing us a few covers of some of her favourite songs. Ellie-shi why don't you introduce the first one yourself?"

"Oh okay. I'll be singing True by Ryan Cabera. It's a pretty old.. or rather it isn't a very recent song. I listened to it a lot in my teens"

"Nice save Ellie-shi. Your teenage years weren't that long ago. But anyway all the best! Everyone, presenting Ellie-shi with True"

[Ryan Cabera's True]

"Wow, that was very nice. The comments are coming up at a crazy speed. Everyone loves it and can't wait to hear the next cover"

"The next song I will be singing is When You Look Me in the Eyes by the Jonas Brothers. It was also a song from my teens and I hope you guys enjoy it too"

[Jonas Brother's When You Look Me in the Eyes]

"Judging by the comments, I can assure you a lot of people are going to become your fan after today"

"That's really nice of you to say. I'm honestly just happy to be able to share my music with everyone and I really hope they enjoy it"

"They definitely do, so let's give them one last cover. But before that what is the next song that you would like to request after that?"

"Mamamoo's You're the best"

"Alrighty then! Now let's hear Ellie-shi's cover of Cold Water by Major Lazer Ft Justin Bieber"

[Major Lazer's Cold Water followed by Mamamoo's You're the best]

 

"And we're back! Alright everyone, as some of you can see Ellie-shi is back in her seat and reading some of your comments"

"They are all really sweet. Thank you so much, everyone. For both the praises and well wishes"

"Some of them are actually asking questions, so how about we go ahead and answer some of them. Oh look! Here's a good one. Viewer #39 asks "What kind of guys do you like? We would like to know your ideal type"

"I like a person with a nice smile"

"Aaah just like the lyrics in Mamamoo's You're the best? A man with a nice smile?"

"Yes someone with a nice smile, but that's just what attracts me. That person's mind will determine whether I stay or leave."

"Ah so you like intelligent guys"

"Don't you find intelligent people attractive? I find it really y. That and confidence. Confident people are really attractive too. They have a presence. It's amazing."

"So everyone, you've heard her type. Do you think you match her style?"

"Hahaha! I'm not gonna be receiving sudden confessions after this am I?"

"You'll never know you just might st.. well there you go! Take a look at the comments! You are even receiving marriage proposals! Hahaha the viewers/listeners of my show are a little crazy"

"Hehehe nah I think they are amazing"

"Oh no! Look at the time, it's already time for us to say goodbye to Ellie-shi. That went by faster than expected. Ellie-shi, it was really nice to have you on our show but unfortunately the time is up. But just before you go, how about you say some things to the viewers/listeners and your fans out there and also, make your final song request for today"

"Viewers/listeners of Hope Song, thank you very much for listening to me and bearing with me during the show. I hope you had a good time because I sure did. To my fans out there, I really hope I get to present you with my original music sometime soon, be it as a singer myself or through another artist. Do you guys think SNSD or Mamamoo will accept my songs? Hehehe! That would be the best, wouldn't it? Seriously though, thank you guys, for all your love and support. I try my best to read your comments on my social media sites, so I hear you guys and I love you back! Alright that being said, my final song request for today is Taeyeon's I. I hope this song inspires someone today just like it inspires me. Again, thank you very much and have a great day! "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello, Ellie speaking"

"Ellie-shi, I'm a representative of ABC company. We have listened to your performances and watched your videos and would like for you to audition to be a trainee of our company. Considering your talents in dance we think you will be a good edition to a girl group we are preparing for debut"

"Thank you very much for the offer, but I do not wish to be a part of a girl group"

"What about a solo artist?"

"That's a possibility, but I have responsibilities relating to my company and that may take up some of my time. I won't be able to have too many restrictions on my schedule."

"Well, we can discuss this further if we meet up. I'm sure we can arrange your schedule accordingly"

"Alright, one last thing, will I be able to make my own music? Write my own songs?"

"I'm sorry but that won't be an option"

"Why not?"

"The company has a particular image in mind and will only release songs in accordance with that image. So far your arrangements do not fit that image. So that will not be up for negotiation. But we will give you the opportunity to work with producers who can assure you great commercial success. You will become very popular. Maybe after that, we could consider using your own music"

"Well then I would like to apologise but I do not wish to take up your offer"

"Are you sure? You don't know what you are missing out on"

"Yes, I am very sure. But really, thank you for the off.." He had already hung up

I guess I can't expect everything to go smoothly can I? But I have to stay strong. Just as promised I will make honest music.

[Flashback]

"Elise! Come here for a bit! I have something I want you to hear"

"What is it?"

"I've just been working with something on the guitar and I wanna know what you think"

I played a slow tune that slowly picks up the pace at the part I had intended for a chorus. I stop when done with the chorus.

"That had a really sweet sound, I think it'll make for a really good romantic song"

"I actually intend to write a song about us, I just don't have the lyrics yet"

"Aww! That's so sweet!" She pretty much squeals while clinging on to me like a Koala.

"Get your paws off of me" I say while trying to push her off although smiling the whole time.

"Can I help you with the lyrics when you are done with the music?"

"Yes! You can. It'll be totally perfect."

"I think it'll be amazing Ell, I've always admired people who write songs themselves. It feels so authentic and true. That's exactly what you'll do right? You know when you become famous and all. You won't fall prey to greed and commercialism, will you? You'll always make real music right? Music that is real and true to you"

"Of course I will Elise, I wouldn't have it any other way"

[End of Flashback]

"I still wouldn't have it any other way, Elise. I will make real music, honest and heartfelt music, just as promised" I say as I walk down to my basement/studio to listen to that unfinished piece.