Enjoy the Ride

This Is It

Disclaimer: This chapter features the show I can see your voice. The concept of the show belongs to the creator and only them. 

 

 

"A dancer! A musician! An engineer! And that's not it! She even speaks fluent Korean! Please welcome this talented English Woman, Ellie!"

"Wow! She's so pretty!" 

"She can do all that? No way! 100% fake"

"But she does look like she can dance well"

There was a flurry of comments as soon as I was introduced. Ailee was the main guest that day and was looking at me intently trying to figure out if I was who I said I was.

"It'll be so unfair if she can really do all that she says she can AND sing as well" she said after some consideration. "But I do see passion in her eyes, I just don't know what to make of it yet"

"So what do you think? Skilled Vocalist or Tone Deaf?" asked Leeteuk, one of the hosts of the show.

"For now.. based on my gut feel.. I'm gonna go with skilled" That was followed by some objections from the panel and the audience.

"This is my second time on the show and well I did get it right the last time.." Ailee says teasingly earning her applause from the audience. I kept a straight face but was relieved that I was not going to be eliminated so early on in the show. I was the final one to be introduced so it was decision time.

"So Ailee! Whose voice do you see?" The three judges shouted in sync.

Ailee makes her choices and I sigh with relief that she didn't pull a sudden plot twist and pick me all of a sudden. Thankfully that went unnoticed. Having watched the program from season 1, I knew that the panel members were pretty sharp. I got my head together and awaited my turn to lip sync.

The lip sync round passes quickly with Ailee left more confused than ever. When it's finally my turn, I walk up to the stage and wait for my song to play. I was to sing Taeyang's Eyes, Nose, Lips. I rearranged the music for this performance and was starting to get a little nervous about that. Just then the music starts playing. I sing along softly to make sure I can express the emotions well without giving my voice away. I didn't mess up. Thank goodness.

"If this is her voice, I think this is going to be epic. Plus I think she rearranged this piece herself" Ailee says.

"But don't you think this would be too good to be true?" someone says.

"I don't know.. I just have this feeling.. I can't explain it but I just do. I just hope that feeling isn't me knowing she is a fake" Ailee says with a nervous laugh

"Okay Ailee. Please make your choice"

I had a massive party in my head when she does not choose me, somehow still managing to keep a straight face. I was getting closer to a chance for an epic duet with Ailee and it was all thanks to her gut feel. I just had to get through the next round, where we present some sort of proof. When it was my turn, it was a picture of me singing through a mic while playing an acoustic guitar. As soon as it was up, Ailee was bombarded with comments.

"Oh.. this actually looks legit. I'm starting to think she could be a skilled vocalist"

"No. I still think 100% fake"

But to my surprise, a lot of the panel members were starting to agree with Ailee and before I knew it I was selected as the one to duet with Ailee. At this point, I knew I didn't need to be in control of my emotions anymore and let a wide smile spread across my face. That led to a lot of speculation on why I was happy. Was it because I was going to win prize money for being tone deaf? Or winning a chance to sing with Ailee as a skilled vocalist? That just made me smile wider while I got ready for our duet. We were to sing Ailee's I will show you. Ailee starts it off with her amazing voice and I watch it in awe. When it gets closer to my turn to start, the panel members start to stand in anticipation. I close my eyes for a second.

~ This is it, my time to shine~

Then I sing. I sing my heart out and enjoy my duet with Ailee. When we were done everything felt surreal. Ailee was congratulating me while giving me a hug. Everyone was clapping for me. I felt a sense of pride. I was proud of myself. I did not believe I could make it this far. Be it on the show or in life. I made it. That's all I kept thinking.

"Please introduce yourself Ellie-shi"

"Hello everyone. My name is Ellie. I have a double major in both Engineering and Music and I dance as a hobby and put up videos online. I play the drums and the guitar as well. The reason I have come to Korea to pursue my dream is because I have recently inherited my father's company which has it's HQ in Korea. I don't have any regrets about that because I know that the entertainment industry here is amazing and I am a big Hallyu Fan myself. I'm a really big fan of Mamamoo! Mamamoo saranghaeyo! I'm also a fan of Ailee because she always leaves me in awe with her confidence on stage. I would really love an opportunity to make music and choreograph for them"

"It would be such an honour" I turn to say to Ailee in English.

"Omg, your accent!" Ailee exclaims. Then she turns to explain how she loves the English accent just like how Seoul residents love satoori. I was relieved I had turned the attention away from my family history and just continued thanking everyone for the well wishes.

With a few more compliments, the filming comes to an end and everyone heads back to the waiting rooms. A couple of the panel members visit my room to congratulate me again before leaving. Just as I was about to leave Ailee drops by to congratulate me again. "Can I walk you to your car?" That slips out before I could stop myself. "oh that's sweet of you, yes you may" she says attempting an English accent and laughing at her own attempt. "How are you getting back?" She asks me when we reach her car. I point at my motorcycle nearby.

"Wow, nice ride!" 

"Thank you. For that compliment but especially for trusting your gut today." I say sincerely then bid her a final goodbye and head over to my bike.

"Hey, maybe you could give me a ride sometime. You know as a thank you" Ailee calls out the window as her car stops near my bike.

"Sounds like a date" I say and mentally facepalm for the second time that day.

And her car was off. After getting over my embarrassment, I followed suit. I got home soon after. Exhausted, I collapsed on the bed after washing up. As I lay there, a smile crept across my face. This was it, the beginning of my life journey, and I was going to enjoy the ride.

 

To be continued..