Everything's Gonna Be Alright

This Is It

"Right from the top. 5,6,7,8! You there! Right at the back. You are getting the step wrong. It is front then back. You keep going back first. Ellie-shi can you please go to the back to help her?"

"Oh yeah, su.." I was just about to agree but before I could finish someone interrupted me.

"Hi sorry to interrupt but I need to have Ellie excused. Ellie, can you come with me? We have a big schedule for you and we need you to start rehearsing now." It was Sooyoung Unnie. I looked at her and gave her a big smile. I received an adorable shy smile and I quickly walked over to her and whispered "Anything you wish, Unnie". That earned me a major blush from her and I chuckled as I walked out of the dance studio. I heard footsteps hurrying behind me before I heard her harsh whisper. 

"What were you thinking? What if someone saw you and noticed something? We barely even started dating and what if people found out?" She looked so worried it was adorable. "Unnie, what I said was innocent. You don't have to worry. No one is gonna.." but before I could finish Junseop Oppa walked up to us.

"Ellie I have your potential outfits picked out for the performance so meet me later at 7 pm for your fitting okay?" Junseop Oppa pretty much demanded.

"Sure Oppa, I'll be there."

I watched as Junseop Oppa walked away as quick as he came and turned to Sooyoung Unnie to continue what I was saying but was interrupted yet again.

"Oh there you are. Let's get started, shall we? We need to get you ready for this big event." At that point, I suddenly realised I still had no clue what I was to be preparing for.

"Erm.. can someone tell me what this big event is?"

"Oh right. It's not like it is a program that is broadcast on the major channels or anything. It's just that we think that you'd be a big hit with this group of people" My sound engineer chimed in, but still not answering my question.

"And you still haven't told me what event this is." I said as a matter of fact.

"Haha oops, it's a group project to organize a free concert for orphans and youths from broken homes. They've actually planned to have it in Seoul, Busan and Jeju across 3 days and you have been invited to perform at all of it. You won't be earning anything from it though so.."

"I wouldn't want to be paid for such an amazing cause. I'm perfectly fine not being paid. I can relate with these people and I want them to know that life is worth living and fighting for. It's a great opportunity and I am going to give it my best"

"That's Good to hear Elli-shi, so are you ready to rehearse? The bosses have already picked the first song that they want you to sing. They want you to sing Rachel Platten's Fight Song. The other ones will be your choice. Do you have any ideas in mind?"

That was actually the first song that came to mind. I looked over at Sooyoung Unnie to ask for her opinion for other songs but was greeted by a worried expression. I realised her mind was probably still on the fact that our relationship was very risky and dangerous for my career. I wanted to tell her not to worry and ease her tension but we weren't alone so I couldn't say anything. But suddenly a thought popped into my head.

"I'll love you dangerously~ More than the air that I breathe~ Know we could crash at the speed that we are going~ Do not care if the explosion ruins me~ I'll love you dangerously~" While singing that verse I kept my eyes on Sooyoung Unnie. It was Charlie Puth's Dangerously but I knew she understood it because I had just recently explained the lyrics to her and she proved that by flashing me a little smile.

"Huh, is that the song you want to sing Ellie-shi? Firstly, I think you mixed up some of the lyrics. You were supposed to be singing in past tense but more importantly I don't think it suits the event".

Thank goodness he was oblivious of my intention. The use of the word love may have been too early but being with her felt right albeit dangerous. I changed the words on purpose because it was meant for Sooyoung Unnie and she was my present, not past. But I just brushed it off as a careless error and a random song outburst.

"Haha sorry, I just love that song a lot but actually I think I want to sing Coldplay's Fix You, do you think we can work something out? And do I get a third song? If I do, I would like to sing Brave by Sara Bareilles. And I think we need to have translations playing at the back."

"Yeah sounds good. And actually you get 4 songs, the last song being your new single so Let's meet in my studio in 15mins? I have something to settle but I will be back real quick. The both of you can just wait inside"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First up we have the ever so talented Ellie-shi" the host announced. I was asked to give a little speech before performing. 

 I slowly walked to center stage mic in hand. I was a little nervous. I was tasked to start off the show and I didn't really know what to expect from this crowd. But I told myself that these people needed to be reminded of their worth and that they'll get through whatever it is they were going through.

 

"Hi Everyone, my name is Ellie. I am from England and I am here to perform for you guys." I was greeted with faces that spelled disinterest. Being this formal with teens was so unnatural for me. So without giving it much thought, I walked to the edge of the stage and sat down facing all of them.

"Alright, so here's the deal, I am here because they think I can relate to the pain all of you might be going through. And they are right, I can. Many of you probably don't know what I am talking about so let me tell you. A little more than 8 years ago, I lost my entire family in a car accident, on my 15th Birthday. My birthday became the most painful day to ever live through and not just because I lost my family, but because it was also the day I shared the best memories with my twin sister. The memories hurt but I didn't let that stop me. I was blessed not to have any financial difficulties so I studied hard, pursued my passion in music and pushed through life. At first, I thought I was doing it to make my family proud. But recently, I have come to realise that I was also doing it for myself. My life was worth living. I survived. I had to do something for myself for that to matter. And although being alone hurt, I realised that I did that to myself. I didn't let anyone else in. I lost friends because I pushed them away when all they wanted to do was be there for me. But now, I have let people in, friends like Hyemi and.. others, and life feels amazing." 

At that point, I turned to look at Sooyoung Unnie who was at the side of the stage. She smiled and I realised how happy I was that she was in my life and made a mental note to ask her something as soon as we had time to ourselves. Then quickly continued with my speech.

"But it took me 8 years to figure this out and I don't want you guys to have to wait that long. So to start off this evening, I am going to sing my song Break Free. After that I will be moving on to Fix you. Remember what you are worth and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

~When you try your best but you don't succeed~ 

~When you get what you want but not what you need~

~When you feel so tired but you can't sleep~

~Stuck in Reverse~

 

~When the tears come streaming down your face~

~When you lose something you can't replace~

~When you love someone but it goes to waste, could it be worse~

 

At the end of Fix You, I could see some of them with tears in their eyes. The songs clearly struck a nerve and my next song was perfect to bring up the mood.

"I know some of you felt connected to the song previously and it may have reminded some of you of the pain you feel every day so the next song is something else I want to tell you. I want you to let it all out and I wanna see you be brave. You’ll get through this"

 

By this time I had the crowd trying their best to sing along with me and the tears were now smiles. I wanted to get closer to them again for my final song so I perched myself at the edge of the stage once again.

"This is going to be my last song for today and it is a song that really inspires me. It doesn't have to be a song for someone who suffered a tragic lost. It can be for someone who had a bad day at work, or school, or at home and is just feeling very discouraged. When you feel down and think that things aren't working out the way that you want it to, or how fast you want it to progress, just think of this song. It will remind you that even the smallest things are worth fighting for and that you and only you are in control of your life and you have all the strength in you to survive any ordeal. Remember this, no matter how small you are or feel, you are not insignificant. Just wait for it, and it will be your time to make an explosion." 

 

~Like small boat, on the ocean~

~Sending big waves, into motion~

~Like how a single word can make a heart open~

~I might only have one match~

~But I can make an explosion~

 

~This is my fight song~

~Take back my life song~

~Prove I'm alright song~

~My power's ~

~Starting right now I'll be strong~

~I'll play my fight song~

~And I don't really care if nobody else believes~

~Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me~

Those words were so heart felt. I was trying to tell them they were going to be just fine. It was also like I wanted to tell myself that. My life flashed before my eyes as I sang the song just like it did everytime I rehearsed it. My family, the accident, leaving England for Korea, Hyemi, my debut and Sooyoung Unnie. A smile crept onto my face as I sang the last line. The crowd erupted into cheers and that just became the icing on the cake. I looked out at them, stood up and took a bow.

"I'm proud of you Ellie, my dear sister" I swear I heard Elise in that moment. I just looked up to whisper a little thank you and repeated it to the crowd and walked off stage.

 

The next 2 days went by as a blur with me juggling training and the events. Sooyoung Unnie was always in and out of meetings and I was either training or performing or in and out of my own company's meetings. At the end of my final performance, we finally got the chance to be together. Well, we actually were together quite a lot but never together AND alone, just the 2 of us. Instead of driving her back to her place, I drove her to my place. I didn't really ask so I was met with a quizzical look from her when we arrived. But still, I didn't say anything till we were in my house.

"Erm, sorry I just thought that I could cook you dinner tonight. Since we haven't spent much time together, just the both of us."

"That sound perfect" Sooyoung unnie said, loosening up a little, after realising there was nothing to worry about.

"Unnie, there's something I want to ask you." I said suddenly determined.

"Yeah what is it?" She eventually asked when I paused a little too long.

"I know it hasn't been long since we started dating, and well we don't even have much time to date. But it is also that very fact that made me realise how understanding you are. Every day, I see you doing your job with such conviction and I fall for you more and more each day. Your honesty, your vulnerability and loyalty and dedication all add to your already gorgeous outer beauty that I have already fallen for. Basically what I am trying to say here is that, I want you to know that I am committed to this relationship and that you are the person I want to be with. So, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Wasn't I already your girlfriend?"

"Well I mean yeah, I guess.. I personally felt that we were exclusive but the world is really weird nowadays where people date a few people until someone officially asks so I thought I would make this official. I will not be able to bare seeing you with someone else. So let me ask again, will you be my girlfriend?"

This time I pulled out my fist that I almost forgot I had clenched tightly behind my back. I released my grip and a necklace was revealed.

"It's beautiful" Sooyoung unnie exclaimed.

"I have a matching bracelet so things don't look too suspicious"

"Yes I will"

"Huh?"

"You asked me a question didn't you? Yes I will, be your girlfriend"

Sooyoung Unnie took 2 steps forward and kissed me boldly. This was way WAY different from the first kiss we shared. If that was a sweet chaste kiss, this was.. so totally not. I kissed back, feeding on her want for more. But when things got a little handsy, I started to slow things down. When we pulled back, both of us were panting. Sooyoung unn.. I suddenly realised how much I didn't wanna refer to her that way anymore. Just looking at her had wild thoughts springing up in my head and it just didn't feel right anymore. I mean I wasn't even Korean but for some reason, it bothered me.

"Slow, let's not get ahead of ourselves okay?" I said carefully making sure I don't offend her.

"Yeah I agree" Sooyoung unnie nodded slowly, as if still processing what just happened.

"And babe, I'm not going to call you unnie anymore. I'll figure something out for when we around others. Okay?"